Sunday 15th July - Bass Specimen Comp

Paul D

Not a booking in...just the first official suggestion of what the weather might be from the Met Office...

Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis

Inshore waters forecast

24 hour forecast: 0600 Fri 13 Jul 0600 Sat 14 Jul

Wind South veering southwest 4 or 5, occasionally 6 later.

Sea state Slight or moderate increasing moderate or rough.

Weather Occasional rain, fog patches.

Visibility Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

Outlook: 0600 Sat 14 Jul 0600 Sun 15 Jul

Wind Southwesterly 3 or 4, occasionally 5.

Sea state Moderate or rough decreasing slight or moderate.

Let's watch this space carefully, and keep options open!

Mike

Good luck for sunday Chaps, this would have been a good one to fish gutted weep.gif

As long as those matches are on sundays,I dont think I'll ever be able to fish one again!!!!!

Also I better rejoin the club first cool.gif At least Ive got a pc back now so i can keep an eye on whats been caught.

That looks like not much this year due to that weather sick.gif looks like I took a good year to do the family thing biggrin.gif

James

I know we have the one hook rule, but does a standard treble hook count as one hook or three?

How about using a standard plug that may even have two trebles? The angler hasn't chosen extra hooks, but the lure has them as standard...

If the weather isn't great for heading offshore (current plan one seems unlikely with current forecasts) then I can see my trying to grab an hour or two in the haven with the trusty Dexter Wedge or trolling....

...I'll need the misses to come along so I can make my crew quota of 2 on the boat though.

Just for clarity - is there a minimum weight or length - or does it just have to be a bass to be in with a chance of points?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike you can weigh in what ever you want ie no elligible minimum size but you must still return all undersize fish as it is illegal to retain fish beneath that. Same rules as apply to all our other species comps really.

Martin

I know we have the one hook rule, but does a standard treble hook count as one hook or three?

How about using a standard plug that may even have two trebles? The angler hasn't chosen extra hooks, but the lure has them as standard...

If the weather isn't great for heading offshore (current plan one seems unlikely with current forecasts) then I can see my trying to grab an hour or two in the haven with the trusty Dexter Wedge or trolling....

...I'll need the misses to come along so I can make my crew quota of 2 on the boat though.

Tom

We operate a 2 hook rule in our comps. You can either fish two hooks on one rod or 1 hook on each of 2 rods. No other rods must be employed for the duration of the comp. A pennel rig counts as 1 hook but both hooks of the rig must be in the same bait, similarly treble hooks count as 1 hook although I would ask Charlie to clarify wether two trebles in a lure would count as 1 or 2 hooks

For future ref the rules can be found on our 2007 comp dates sheet which is accessible on our home page or here

Martin

I might also like to add.......this is a catch and release comp......so no bass that is euthanased will be elligable for weighing in. Keep some sport for tomorrow!!!

Rich

Rich

To be elligible for the BASS sponsored part of the comp it is indeed catch and release but for the club part of the comp (and BFM) it is to our normal rules ie if its over the minimum size you may keep or release.

Martin

All,

In consultation with Adam, and having reviewed the following:

Inshore Forecast:

Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis

Inshore waters forecast

24 hour forecast: 1800 Fri 13 Jul 1800 Sat 14 Jul

Wind South veering southwest 3 or 4, occasionally 5.

Sea state Moderate or rough.

Weather Occasional rain.

Visibility Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

Outlook: 1800 Sat 14 Jul 1800 Sun 15 Jul

Wind Southwest backing east 3 or 4, occasionally 5.

Sea state Moderate.

and:

http://www.meteonet.nl/aktueel/brackall.htm

Which currently shows a potentially thundery, and probably wet warm front crossing the English Channel on Sunday. Isobars seem fairly well spaced apart, suggesting strong winds are unlikely.

Personally, I'm not fond of long periods of rain, an Easterly 4 or 5, fog, nor possible thunderstorms with carbon fibre rods, but is it dangerous? Probably not, if you're careful.

The comp remains ON at this stage. Should the forecast wind strength increase during Saturday, making this dangerous for small boats, then watch this space. If no further posts on here, then assume it remains on.

I would advise all fishing to keep a careful eye on the weather if they decide to fish. This information is only a forecast - and conditions might deteriorate on the day quite quickly if out at sea, and each skipper should use their own judgement.

Mike

Safety Officer

Edited by Mike Fox