Engine Worries

Paul J

Last trip out while drifting for bait my etec stalled- im a bit concerned as this has never happened before.

I went to start it and it took 3 turns of the key to start and then stalled again- now im concerned.

started it again ( 3 turns) and i quickly put it in gear and off i went- no problems

Stop to drift again and it was the same story.

anyway i had i checked out and it turns out i needed new spark plugs so all is well.

It just seems strange it just happened out of the blue with no signs of gradual deterioration.

I guess im well and truly used to starting first time every time now.

I've now done 200 hours so thats 140 since last July

PJ

Mike

I wonder how many PBSBAC carry an auxilliary ?

I'm a firm believer not to carry an auxiliary, and trust to a regular service, a spare anchor, buddy boats, VHF, and membership of RNLI etc. But I'm willing to explore other opinions.

I found that my strikeliner would be pushed along quite OK in no tide with the auxilliary, but no way would it get me back from the other side of the island in a decent sea and adverse tide (probably the limit for that size of boat)

If its bigger than 6HP you are not going to keep taking it on/off the bracket, so it becomes another engine you have to keep maintained, and keep running . I found I never had the time either at the start of the trip or at the end to run it for a decent time, so it only got run in the flush tank for a few minutes.

Id be interested if 'Seastart' is available for inshore Poole Bay and anyones experiences of this or other 'rescue' services. If I was in the bay, I'd consider trying to raise a friend before the RNLI to come and tow me back, provided the conditions were OK and I was in no immediate danger.

What do you think ?

Paul F

I bought an auxillary and bracket for my old boat - after 3 years I hadn't fitted it so sold it to a friend who is using it on his tender.

I have similar views to Paul F on this matter, having a new out the box main outboard which was well maintained was my confidence.

I once towed a guy up Christchurch harbour who's main and auxillary had failed! If you saw him you would not be suprised, as he had 4 kids with him and I couldn't spot a life jacket between them! sad.gif

Though I am going to get a spare "keep on the boat" spare key cut.

Rob

If you have an auxilliary, it makes sense to have one that uses the same fuel, and mount it onboard or use the buddy boat system (i.e. your mate's engine will do the work).

Even a small engine would get you home, but you would be at much slower speeds (which I'm used to!), and you would have to make more allowance for wind and tide. I can move my 6 tons of boat with a 2 hp engine in calm water at about 3 knots, to get me back to my berth from Poole Quay with tide. for example, so anything larger will get you back as well.

Obviously, if you are going out in more lumpy conditions, where your auxilliary engine cannot drive you into wind and waves, then you have to ask yourself why were you taking that risk in the first place, without effective contingency arrangements?

As for the cost of spare engine and maintenance... yes it costs. As many of the more experienced boat owners on here will testify, it's not just the cost of a boat and engine (and toys) you need to budget for, it's the full safety package. If your budget won't stretch to the full safety kit needed to keep you alive, then why not consider a smaller/cheaper boat/engine package, then what you have can be used more safely.

Mike

Safety Officer

Edited by Mike Fox

We have the discussion about how big does my auxiliary engine need to be quite often.

The first thing you should realise. If you need your auxiliary engine then getting home by boat is a luxury. Simply getting to safety "anywhere" is the priority. If that means your 4Hp can't get you into Christchurch, but will get you safely and comfortably to Yarmouth then so be it.

...They have these things called moorings at Yarmouth and for a small fee the harbour master lets you park there while you get your main engine fixed.

The alternative is to sit and wait for the tide to turn or call a buddy boat or friendly passing boat.

I have to say, I am a bit hypocrytical here in as much as Quest II does not have an auxiliary engine, but is now fitted with most other tickery to help get assistance should it be required.

Moving on to Paul and his Etec problems....

How long have you had the engine Paul?

What are the manufacturers recommended service intervals?

Tom

Edited by TomBettle

No Room to fit an auxiliary on mine even if I wanted to. dry.gif

I can mount the transom bracket to the safety rails but can't find any where for the prop to go into water at the stern.

The trim tabs take up so much room.

As a Result I would rely on kindly assistance gained whichever way I could.

I have experienced engine problems recently the first due to contaminated fuel and the second due to insufficient cooling water flow.

In both cases I was able to return to the pontoon under engine power albeit at restricted revs or intermittent running.

If push came to shove Anchoring is always an option and gives you the time to make those calls to any one that is likely to be of help including "sea start".

It has to be the most cost effective option anyway.

Some thoughts of mine...

I mount a 4hp auxiliary on Hook'n'Eye (Warrior 165 + 60hp 2 stroke) and I believe the advantages do outweigh the disadvantages. The auxiliary will comfortably push the heavy Warrior along at 3 - 4 knots if the main fails.

Essentially, I have 2 different fuels as the 60hp drinks neat petrol and mixes in the oil in the engine, whereas the auxiliary is a straight 2 stroke. To get over this I carry a small 5 litre plastic can of ready mixed 2 stroke which, together with a full integral tank in the auxiliary, will give me well over 3 hours of running (enough to get out of trouble).

Apart from the peace of mind an auxiliary gives in the event of main engine failure, it would also be useful if running short of fuel for the main (for whatever reason). I can travel further for less fuel with the auxiliary even if it does take a lot longer.

One further advantage with my particular auxiliary (4hp Mariner Sailmate) is that it has a charging circuit which I can connect to my battery terminals to maintain some power for radio and lights in an emergency.

Its also great at trolling speed and avoids sooting up the main!

Best regards,

Harry S

Moving on to Paul and his Etec problems....

How long have you had the engine Paul?

What are the manufacturers recommended service intervals?

Knew this question would be coming smile.gif

User Guide states following for Spark Plugs ( amongst other things ).

Every 300 hours or 3 years(1)

Note 1: When used in normal recreational use. Common sense dictates when using an Evinrude E-Tec for commercial or other heavy use that you check these items more frequently ( annual checks are recommended ).

I bet Paul's engine is nearing 300 hours the amount he uses it. ( Mine is around 150-175 hours I would guess ).

Off to check my spark plugs biggrin.gif

215756E.pdf

Being the belt and braces sort of chap that I am, I helped Adam's Wedding Fund by purchasing an aux from him.

I have the same fuel set up as Harry.

The very first time out in Star Turn we ended up requiring the aux.

Case rests!

Even if the prevailing conditions mean that your aux doesn't allow you to make much headway, it should be able to hold you away from dangerous obstacles?

C.

so I am sure it will be quite reasonably priced

Ha hahahaha laugh.gif Oh the innocence of the man, the poor fellah.

Paul, take both gold cards, the deeds of the house and sell the kids into slavery biggrin.gif

Actually I do hope you prove my cynicism wrong as it would go a long way to improving my dark thoughts about O/B manufacturers and their pricing policies.

Mad Mike

Paul, The only problem i had with my E-tec was the none starting situation 4miles south of old harry (broken wire).

Got a tow back to Poole then used aux to get me into slipway.

Does anyone use seastart?

I think for a small boat there not too bad a price for peace of mind. And that they will come and get you 24/7. Not sure how far out they go though!

Any thoughts on this company?

Gary