Deck Wash Installation?

Adam F

Simon

Thanks very much again.... top answers... I looked at some fancy priced jabsco accessory which fitted into the deck or on a bulkhead, to contain the hose. But I think I'll just be disconnecting it and storing it in the deck locker, or might even leave it connected inside.

Adam

Which pump did you go for in the end... and from where ? I'm shying away from ebay as spares might be difficult on some types. What do you / Simon think ?

As far as too much pressure goes, as you shut in the valve, the pressure will increase on the pump until the pressure switch stops the motor. The valve will take all the pressure drop, and you wouldnt get 40psi unless you inserted the hose into the livebait, and sealed up all the holes....... blink.gif

so if you have a short piece of hose connecting to the tank, then the jet will not be at 40psi at all. 12mm diam hose, gives 3 metres per sec velocity at 20 l/min, which is slower than a mackerel can swim, and should result in a healthy circulation 'vortex' in your tank, Im guessing.

My boat also doesnt lend itself to going over the inner transom, so I've been thinking about going through here and to a low point where the pump can be in a flooded section of pipe. I'll be disconnecting the suction side to alternate between the sea water, and a fresh water tub for flushing my engine.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

Went for one of these, they assure the availablity of spares too: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marine-Automatic-Fre...1QQcmdZViewItem

So, 15mm SS tube 6" long up the transom and then 90 deg bend taking it through the transom to a tank fitting, from here hose to a Y value with diverters - 1 goes to the deck wash, the other to my live tank - sorted!

Adam,

Thanks - this was the one I thought about too... might be worth doing a wet test before you drill the holes for the ss pipe - in case the through the hull brigade were right about the lack of water. But I think that these pumps have enough suck to overcome the small vacuum you get when you whizz a pipe through the water.. and if its a problem, then cut away the front half of the pipe to form a cup, or put a forward facing elbow on the end..

Good luck...

Paul

How noisy do those who use these proper pumps find them for live tanks?

Mine arrived today and it makes a fair hum when running, which I can live with for a deckwash, but all day running a bait tank might be a little to much....

My old 500 gph Rule pump I had on BW was whisper quiet, although it was muted out as it sat underwater.

How noisy do those who use these proper pumps find them for live tanks?

Mine arrived today and it makes a fair hum when running, which I can live with for a deckwash, but all day running a bait tank might be a little to much....

My old 500 gph Rule pump I had on BW was whisper quiet, although it was muted out as it sat underwater.

my deckwash pump is whisper quiet, so quiet that i sometimes have to press the trigger to convince myself its running.

i personally don't want to run mine all day long just to feed the bait-tank as although they say they are continually rated i somehow doubt it, so i have a recirc pump in mine to keep the water moving once its full and every so often i flick the fill switch to refesh the water and it simply overflows to waste. I'm working on an adjustable timer with a solenoid so i can let it refresh the water automatically.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/products/part...and+Accessories

Simon L

Thanks Simon.

I now may actually install a 2nd pump (rule 500gph) to look after my bait tank. I use it every trip in the summer and like to run it continuously to keep the bait happy, I too dont fancy running the big pump for up to 6/7 hours all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for the record, I have now finished installing my deck wash / livebait set-up.

In the end I decided against a through hull set-up, not because I didnt want to drill the holes, but because had poor access to fit the fittings.

I went for a through transom option, sort of half way and piped the water round the transom to a 17 LPM high pressure pump- this will run my deckwash.

For the livewell, I decided that the 17 LPM was too much voltage to run all day for a livewell, so a 500 GPH Rule pump was installed on the transom as it was a tried and tested method I used on BW.

I used JG Speedfit plumbing fittings for the whole job which interfaced with all the components well, was flexible to the route I chose and was descrete.

post-6-1175530429jpg

Well Done Adam! .......... looks the bee's knees

.....and well able to blast off those sun-baked-on macky scales after a day's bass or bream fishing [ soon???].

Hope you get a good trip out over Easter......esp. as weather's looking better.

Alun.

I now get a Britboard style 50' jet!!

Do i feel a challenge being issued, ok

Poole harbour at dawn transom to transom, then fifty paces (which would be impressive on water) turn and fire. laugh.gif

well done though looks a neat job.

Simon L

p.s. have you asked the FPO about Thurs night and Fri fishing.

nice job.................

cant resist this though...........

For the livewell, I decided that the 17 LPM was too much voltage to run all day for a livewell, so a 500 GPH Rule pump was installed on the transom
durely 17lpm is about half of 500gph?

Yep, sorry meant current. rolleyes.gif

Duncan, you're right, the output is similar, but the big pump pushes out 40 PSI and draws 6 amps, whereas the little Rule moves alot of water, but simply stops if you try and force a back pressure of more than a couple of pounds. The Rule also only draws 2 amps.

Re Deckwash pumps

Worth noting to anyone proposing to fit one of these, that Adams / Simons / Mine - dont take the rain or external wetting too kindly.

Also Vendors recommend mounting horizontal or pump head downwards in a well ventilated area to avoid risk of leaks running onto the motor.

I've currently got a plastic bag over mine, until I can relocate it..... laugh.gif

Mine also 'grumbles away' when operating - possibly due to some air in the pump. I'm going to make mine the 'low point' of the suction piping, so that entrained air doesnt go through the pump. I noticed this was happening when the inlet filter was partially full.

Also Instead of putting 6 or even up to 10 amps (on start up) through my switch panel, I installed a 12V relay - very neat and easy to wire up, to take the pump load, leaving me with less than an amp going through the switch. Then, when the pump goes haywire - its not going to melt my switches.

BTW - 17 lpm is 224 gph, or 1 litre/min is 13.2 Gph (imperial)

I think the flowrate is more important for livebait, and the pressure is more important for their scales and guts....

Paul

Worth noting to anyone proposing to fit one of these, that Adams / Simons / Mine - dont take the rain or external wetting too kindly.

mine is fully sealed and will run underwater if need be, as for amps my pump is only drawing 2.6 amps (checked with an amp-clamp) and it is a brushless motor as well which will help with longevity (i hope).

Simon L