Kosh

lady jane

well commercial priests are well documented and have well found roots in size shape and weight so I would suggest these as your starting point.

basically mini baseball bat with a slug of lead in the business end and a lanyard at the other...............

We usualy use the Handle of the Stainless Steel J bar disgorger [1" Dia Stainless bar], or snap the necks.

But I turned down an excelent hardwood priest for a friend when he emigrated and wished I had made two.

It was about the 12" long with a max Dia of 2", a handle with some ridges for grip and drilled for a lanyard.

The hardwood [oak] gave it weight and bouyancy if it went overboard.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Adam, this is good practice but still works even when the fish has been despatched and is a lot more humane. Because their hearts don't stop immediately after being clobbered, a good bleed is assured. For larger fish, I have a cord attached to a rear cleat to hang the fish in the water thus saving a lot of mess in the boat or ice box.

Terry.

A good tip is to snip the gills of the fish once landed. This drains the blood from them quickly and avoids tainting the flesh red - esp. cruicial with Bass and Cod I find.

This is a new one on me Adam, well I say new, now that you wrote about it I remember as a lad they used to cut a line in the flesh of flounders just before the tail so the'the blood came out'.

Snip the gills out? Scissors? How long to bleed out ?

Mad Mike

I have a pair of stainless steel dog nail clippers that I use for the job. Otherwise a good sharp knife. Be prepared, the more active type fish bleed immediately and fairly profusely. It does make a difference to the flavour of the fish. You have probably heard that line caught fish taste better than net caught ones, something to do with the fact that they evacuate during the fight so this additional proceedure should make them as good as they get.

Terry.

Snip the gills out? Scissors? How long to bleed out ?

Get yourself a pair of those H/duty kitchen shears/scissors - the type that can cut through chicken bones - they are pretty cheap, my last set cost less than a fiver.

The make short work of even a big fish. For flatties, you are correct, a slash on the tail root does the same trick.

Timing - I just bang em' in the fish box, then wash the blood out at the end of the day.

Gill cut is fine but you must humanely disconnect the control box first!!

Tap on head then immediate gill cut does two things.

1. Stuns the fish insensible with no chance of regaining consciousness. (animal welfare)

2. Prevents the build up of lactic acid in the flesh that would detract from eating quality and shelf life.

Both, therefore, ensuring the fish is maintained in the best possible condition.

Extensive research has been conducted with domestically produced table fish and the principals apply to all slaughtered fish where practical. This is why your own rod caught fish, taste that much better than those that have spent two hours at the back of a trawl net, under 3 tons of their mates.

T

• 3 weeks later...

I use the back of my gutting knife for small fish like mackerel, anything bigger gets chucked in the box with another box stacked on top so they can't flip out. Most roundfish die or stop wriggling within a drift or so, only flatties and dogs tend to live for ages.

Justa thought. I have some Ceanothus wood (blue flowered shrub/tree) it is as heavy as heck and very dense. The bits I have are well dried now, about 2years old and been kept in the dry. If your interested I can see if I can find them in my workshop. Cost? I'll give you more than enough for two, can I have one please?

Mad Mike

anything bigger gets chucked in the box with another box stacked on top so they can't flip out.  Most roundfish die or stop wriggling within a drift or so, only flatties and dogs tend to live for ages.

i thought we were on about finishing the quickly and humainly. Leaving them to suffocate aint very nice ph34r.gif or maybe im a big softie laugh.gif

Edited by Gnasher