Hello From Fishface

Member Removed

Hi,

Just registered with the site having sat here and watched it all going on for a while.

Not a boat owner, mainly a shore fisherman but have been on a few charter trips and keen to go out more - which leads me to ask a question to which I probably know the answer....

Last Sunday I was out on Mistress Lynda with the Dolphins boys. I have been out on the Patch before with no problem, but anchored there on the Slates (I think that's where we were) was too much for me and I spent most of the day looking over the side using muscles I haven't used since I became allergic to excess whisky.

The Dolphins folks were good to me - no taking the pss, just left me alone to get on with it. They assured me the swell that day was unusual - and when it changed around 3pm I was fine.

However, I have the chance to go out again so I need to assess how unusual that swell was. If you were out there on Sunday - was that a normal sea for that area ?

Inside, I know the only real answer is suck it and see - go again and see how it goes.

Any views, comments or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Fishface

Welcome Fishface,

Don't be too put off by the sea-sickness, i personally found that after a while it just all clicked into place and now i dont suffer at all, i think the body or the brain just fights back and it gets a lot better. You have to go through the pain barrier first, so get out there as often as you can and stay sober the night before and if you want to be everyones mate onboard, eat lots of Macky the night before biggrin.gif

Simon L

Firstly, welcome to the Forum, Fishface, we hope you enjoy the banter from the best small boat club in the country. biggrin.gif

Sea sickness......the dreaded scurge of the landlubber. If you find yourself feeling a tad unwell, try not to look down from the horizon, that can send you running to the gunwalls!! If even after a few trips out, you still find yourself heaving, confucious he say man who eat eat Jam Sandwiches for breakkie dont mind being seasick.........they taste the same on the way up as they did on the way down.

Enjoy the forum, and maybe join the club, offer your services as crew, get over that land lubber feeling, get out there and catch some gooduns.

Rich

PS I stall havent caught any guffers!!

welcome mate. sea sickness can be a right problem. Ive taken crew out on my small boat and there have been times that i have had to cut the trip early and go home due to sickness.

Occasionally even regular boaters can have problems with it, as Dom found out, wrenching over the side when he had never felt ill before.

Lots of myths about what works and dosn't, but I take Sea Legs every time, and have never felt ill rolleyes.gif

Hi Richard

Registered at last and not before time tongue.gif

Welcome to the pbsbac home on the net, your one stop small boat info shop laugh.gif

As I said the other night perseverence will pay dividends. Stugeron work for me but obviously not for you, try sea leggs or Quells and as said earlier ginger can help if only with the after taste rolleyes.gif

Keep at it Richard and I'm sure things will fall into place eventually smile.gif

BTW whats this Dolphins thing you belong to? tongue.gif

Martin

Try keeping your head upright by not bending over looking into tackle boxes etc. sick.gif

Keep plenty of rigs already tied as this will help. wink.gif

stand holding your rod, not leaning or hoding the rail as this will help your motion. unsure.gif

failing everything on offer drink plenty of fluids and try to eat something. cool.gif

Gazza

Unlucky that ur getting seasick sick.gifsick.gif ,,, it can really ruin a good day fishin! ohmy.gifohmy.gif

Personally i have found that the best prevention for seasickness is a nice hearty GREASY breakfast beforehand!

Something like a good old bacon n egg sarnie!

With all seriousness, it lines the stomach with grease, so you dont feel that horrible sloshing feeling in the stomach, and thus you dont get sick!

This has worked for me and mates many-a-time! and it tastes great!

Hope this helps (n if it dnt u still get a nice brekfast! )

Dan

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

several things effect seasickness not just the size of the swell

Those that never suffer are ether lucky or spend a lot of time at sea.

The onset is usually made worse if you are tired, cold, hungry or hung over. So there are a few preventative steps you can take without the drugs.

Get a good rest the days before, avoid the booze, wrap up warm and have a good breakfast.

My youngest Dan used to suffer a lot, he now has warmer clothing including Hotboots and has taken to eating Ginger nuts during the trip. actually the best way to keep Dan well is to get him catching fish, keep the body active and you are less likely to suffer.

Personally I have never actualy been sick biggrin.gif but eating pork pies and drinking fizzy drinks while afloat sometimes make me feel a bit queezy. sick.gif

Best cure [except the old tree joke], is to get a few short trips in better weather under your belt before taking on a long range offshore trip in the rougher winter weather.

Tight lines

Merry Christmas

Charlie biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I also recommend Stugeron, they used to be standard issue. I always took them if I was doing a transfer at sea to a submarine.

If all else fails, eat Oranges, they taste as good coming up as they did going down!!!

Edited by Brian