Garmin 182C

Adam F

I have sent the plotter back last Thurs via UPS Express. It arrived last Fri at 3pm (e-tracking)

Since then I have emailed asking for a date when I will recieve the replacement - but heard nothing. Not too concerned yet, as only really had 2 days - but begining to worry a little.

What comeback do I have with an internet based company if they fail to send the replacement. I have kept copies of all of the transactions and all emails exchanged???

Adam sad.gifsad.gifwink.gif

its not a credit card - just a debit card sad.gif

With debit card there ain't a lot of protection I'm afraid.

Had you paid with your credit card, any purchases in the uk (and most eu countries, I think), the credit card company is just as liable as the retailer for anything over

Adam,

I believe you will find that .......

Since Denmark are in the EEC you have rights in the same way as if you bought the plotter here.

You are covered under the EEC Distance selling regulations

Distance Contracts

From the above directive :-

"In principle, the supplier has thirty days in which to perform the contract.

Where the supplier fails to perform his side of the contract, the consumer must be informed and any sums paid refunded. In some cases it is possible to supply an equivalent good or service.

In the event of fraudulent use of his payment card, the consumer may request cancellation of payment and reimbursement of the amounts paid.

"

EEC is not all bad eh smile.gif

Guest Malroy

Just started looking to see if I can afford to go for this same unit, so would welcome your feedback on how it performs when you are sorted.

Its the same old story of "RIP OFF BRITAIN"

Started reviewing market place prices. Its being advertised in the UK mags around just sub

Much has been written on this forum about this subject, so Ill not go over it again.

Dispite my problems - I have just been a little worried about ordering abroad as its the first time with alot of cash. I would recommend it - just a few points to consider.

1.) Know your market price - and do your research - are you really getting such a good deal? If so is it worth the risk for what you will save. I saved over

Nice to hear from you Malroy. smile.gif

Yep, you are spot on...rip off Britain.

Mark B has the 182C fitted to his new 640 Quicksilver, and I have to say the unit is fantastic.

The first thing to hit you is the quality of the colour display. It is real crisp and so easy to see in the daylight, even when looking into the cabin from the outside deck!! Much, much better than the mono displays.

The speed of the mapping redraw rate was impressive too, a lot quicker than some I've seen on much more expensive units. You could argue that it would be nice to have a bigger display but we didn't notice this as a problem, especially when the refresh rate is so quick.

The detail in the mapping is extremely good, although one thing we have noticed is that if you highlight a wreck you can bring up a box that gives you details of the feature, but it doesn't include the name of the wreck, which would have been nice. Not sure if you can add the name yourself.

We used to plotter for find a couple of wrecks that were on the chart and we found them straight away, so the accuracy of the gps is very good. And it's WAAS and EGNOS compatible so you will get the increased accuracy when that system comes on line.

Installation was pretty simple. The unit automatically finds itself when turned on for the first time, so no set up problems. We also wired the plotter to his new Garmin Colour FF (another great unit) which was pretty simple to set up and worked straight away, once a setting in the menu was changed to transmit a signal to the FF.

All in all, a very impressive piece of kit for the money (when bought offshore). I was not convinced about the need for a colour plotter, but having seen the quality and clarity of the sunlight viewable displays I am now convinced. Plotters are much easier to use than a standard GPS, too. Mark would openly admit that he is not a techie, but he has taken to it like a duck to water.

Paul D purchased a mono plotter from the States, and even with all the added costs of tax, duty and shipping to still saved over

Guest Malroy

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

The unit sounds as though it meets all expectations and more, which is all you can ask.

Now to raise the cash and find the best deal.

Sounds as though the best option would be Europe, so time for more research. Have a daughter & son-in-law stationed over in Germany which may help.

P.S. You have an excellent site.

Picked it up from a comment about an interesting question that was raised much earlier- something like: "what action would you take if you mate disappeared whilst you were out one evening fishing". It was transfered to another forum I watch.

Malroy - Anglesey

Would that be the Lounge? (The other forum)

Our site has only been going a year and has been growing like a storm (thanks to Paul D who designed and developed it).

We've got more articles to go on the main site (species section, boating techniques, etc) but it takes time to get them all written.

Good fun though. smile.gif

Adam, can you post the address for the Danish Web shop on this thread?

Could have been, the-Lounge is a forum I watch along with the Wirrall forum, Cast & catch, North West Sea Angling, Anglers-net, Wyre Boats forum etc, etc.

These forums open up a new world of communication between sea anglers and an incredible amount of information/learning can be taken in as I have in fact achieved. I have made several contacts & friends even around my own area that are willing to share information and help out wherever possible.

Yours is an extremely good example that doesn't show any signs of being messed up with some "political issues" that others suffer from and it also gives us, further up North some idea of whats happening about down there.

Malc

Malroy - Good to have another member aboard! - welcome. biggrin.gif

I agree - I also watch many of the forums you mentioned and find that they are indeed infected with alot of either political rubbish or stupid chit chat. As one of the the forum admin we try to delete any of this which appears - although it evry seldom does.

I find it a fantastic way to communicate to a huge spectrum of people from all over the world - and with a subject as intricate as boats and fishing it is invaluable.

The site address for the plotter is: www.sportextreme.com

Mine isnt here yet, but should be very soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Right - the 182C arrived whilst I was in Alderney. Fitted it today.

I have played with Marks unit (no jokes please!) so I knew what to expect in terms of performance.

I opted against using the Furuno GPS Anntena to dual feed both units. Basically I want to keep the GPS as a back up - running the plotter from this unit defeats the object - so now I have 2 x independant units.

Fitting was simple. As I wanted to use the Garmin ariel, I needed to mount it somewhere. Ideally I would have had another S/S plate welded to the flybridge to keep it matching, but the wires running inside would have melted, so I have opted for the plastic mount, and cable tie option. It looks OK, but not fantastic.

I have also cross wired the Plotter and my FF using the NMEA cables. The manual says I could do this, but I havent a clue why I would want to?? Can someone enlighten me?

The only other thing I have noticed is that the Compass, the GPS and the Plotter all have different bearing readings - this is not good, anyone have any ideas as to why?

Marks out of 10? - 8.

Adam

Hi Adam

Suggest you check that they are all on Magnetic or True North

I too have noticed a differance from the compass and my plotter and GPS

I also noticed that I am getting some electro-magnetic deflection (big word for me tongue.gif ) when I switch the units all on albeit very small, so I am looking to see where else to fit the compass but running out of room sad.gif

Regards

Codfather

Space is always at a premium on boats such as ours.

I noticed on the Alderney trip that Tiger Lily has her compass right in the middle of her potter and sonar, so it cant be too bad???

I have tested the compass away from all of the units, and the reading remains the same when they are switched on - so no magnetic deflection. How can I alter the electronic units?? Are they adjustable?

Adam