Garmin 182C

Adam F

The plotter and the GPS give exactly the same reading, even the decimels.

I will have a look for the option of true or magnetic north. Paul, do you know where it is?

Also, I noticed this morning that the compass on the GPS, seems to continually spin/move?? Giving an ever decreasing bearing reading?

Adam,

On mine ( and would think yours is the same ).

Press menu twice in quick succession and you get a main menu with loads of tabs on the LHS. Select the Units tab on the LHS.

There is a Magnetic Variation option which on mine is set to "Automatic", but can be set to True, User and some other option I forget now.

Hope this helps.

Adam,

If you are sat in your boat on the drive, your GPS compass reading should be rock steady, so something is amiss.

Are you getting at least 4 or 5 satellite signals? You are surrounded by walls so you may not be getting full reception.

Or is it in simulation mode or something silly like that?

Bob F.

Aint got a clue.

The fixed compass is giving a firm reading and isnt influenced by any magnetic disturbance.

The GPS is mental - I suspect simulation mode, but havent read the manual to check - although the other functions SPD, TRK etc all worked in Weymouth whoch sugests its not simulating???

The Plotter as is out, but about 50/60 degs. I have checked and it is running mag. north????

Bloody electronics! All I want to do is go fishing! blink.gif

Adam,

Page 27 of your manual.

"The bearing pointer, bearing bug and/or compass ring may point in various directions when you are stationary or at very low speeds. Once you start moving, the pointer will be correct."

This makes sense because the GPS has no idea which way you are pointing when you are stationary. It can only get information about when way you are pointing when you are moving. I guess it assumes you are always moving forwards.

And of course, this explains why you GPS's and Compass readings are different.

So, nothing is wrong with your set up!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

We learn something new every day. rolleyes.gif

Nice one.

Bob F.

Thank you Dr. electronics!!!

How bloody simple! - yet correct now I think about it.

So basically as soon as I move they will all read correctly?

Also shows a very good reason for having a fixed compass onboard.

Adam