Virus

Afishionado

My I.T. chap says it's quite an old trojan (2005) and if your virus scan is up to date, it should deal with it o/k. Just make sure you disconnect from the internet when you scan, then scan again to be sure before reconnecting.

Terry B.

I am realy PI55ED with this. I have been onto Microsoft and they have put me onto a program called 'Ewido' which is supposed to clean it out but so far it hasn't.

Microsoft are calling me again tomorrow to see if their advice worked. The Trojan is a scam by an opperation called Spy-Sheriff who once they have infected your PC want you to buy their very expensive cure for their own bl00dy virus.

If any one (Paul D, Bob) knows how to get rid of this shlt now is the time to speak!!

mad.gifmad.gif Mad Mike mad.gifmad.gif

Well, it is worst than that. The site was actually hacked .....

The forum templates were "modified" and my account was used to mass mail members.

It is a trojan link that was sent. Nasty - I am trying to work out how they compromised the IPB security.

The forum template is "unhacked" now, but be careful for the time being.

There are some saddos out there I am afraid....

Well, it is worst than that. The site was actually hacked .....

The forum templates were "modified" and my account was used to mass mail members.

It is a trojan link that was sent. Nasty - I am trying to work out how they compromised the IPB security.

The forum template is "unhacked" now, but be careful for the time being.

There are some saddos out there I am afraid....

In 'Baby talk', does ..The forum templates were "modified"... mean that adverts from loan companies etc suddenly appearer?

Secondly what can the individual do to get rid of the crap that has virtualy brought my PC to a stand still?

REALY Mad Mike

If you only had the problem when accessing this forum, then it is fixed.

If you still have a problem, get a virus scanner ( which you should have anyway ).

AVG Free found and sorted no problem.

If you still have a problem let me know and I will see what I can do.

If you only had the problem when accessing this forum, then it is fixed.

If you still have a problem, get a virus scanner ( which you should have anyway ).

AVG Free found and sorted no problem.

If you still have a problem let me know and I will see what I can do.

Right, bearing in mind I have no idea at all about 'computer speak' I have tried to download this AVG gizmo and indeed it downloads. However when I try to open it (?) I get a dialog box that says my PC (and /or Microsoft on my PC) 'Can not find an associated file to open it'. It then gives me a link to find this missing file and from that point on I can not understand or act upon any of the instructions from these sites?????????????????????????????????????????????

Please ANYONE how do I get an antivirus as I now have none at all as I have deleted/removed 'Avast' as it was corrupted?

Still pi55ed mad.gif

Mad Mike

Rich, I think you may find that it keeps telling you that it is in various files on your Temporary Internet Files. It will keep showing all of them until you 'o/k all of them. An alternative is to go to Control Panel, Internet Option, then delete your Cookies and Temp. Int. Files. This should speed up the process ( and unless you do this regularly, free up a load of memory).

Terry B.

Ive run my AVG, and taken off this Trojan, but I'm still getting a pop up ballon on the bottom bar, saying that my computer is infected with a virus. Does this mean its still here Paul???

Thanks, and thanks for the message on landline.

Rich

I have had the most difficult time getting rid of this virus attack. Apparantly it also attacks your antivirus and deletes sections of it which disable your firewall.

In the end I phoned the Microsoft help line and they aided me through the whole thing. This included restoring the PC to an earlier date, deleting the remains of my infected antivirus, downloading a fresh A/V suite, together with two new thingies, one called 'Zone Alert' and the other 'Ewido'. What they all do/did is beyond me but all is working OK now. I am sure Paul D will be able to explain more clearly than I.

Mad Mike

Mike,

Have fun with ZA - it needs a lot of attention in the early days as it tends to interpret a lot of network traffic as a threat - sending a document to the printer from Outlook over a network for example (as 2 days ago's incident with SWMBO).

Rich,

Terry is correct, it is probably your temp internet files. I am so glad we got you the AVG scanner in time.

Mike,

Let me know how you get on. I had zonealarm and got fed up with it. Microsoft have a firewall built into Windows XP SP2 , so surprised they are advising to use Zonealarm.