Adam F

Adam

Maverick has the following

Icom 401 euro vhf

Furono gp36 dgps

Plotter Lowrance M3000 mono plotter with south coast/channel large cartridge

Lowrance X90 sounder

Midland CB radio

Pleased with all the kit but when funds stretch to it I would rather have a colour plotter. They give you better definition and are easier to read especially in bright sunshine

While on the subject of electronics, just 3 or 4 years ago all pbsbac member boats used cb for inter club chat. I still feel this would still be a good idea. For one it stops the vhf air waves being clogged with chit chat and two not a lot of other boats have cb radio so a little more private for talking fish. Obviously I am not suggesting that cb is instead of vhf but a supplement for social chat only.

What do you think?

Martin

if i remember correctly shytalk has the following

simrad radar

furuno fcv662 sounder

mlr fx312 gps

cetrek 345 plotter

cetrek 730 autopilot

icom 503 vhf

icom 100 dsc

icom m59 euro vhf

jvc cd player

all pretty good sounder a bit long in the tooth but still good

plotter one of the best

icom vhfs v good

simrad radar super with 3d mode takes a bit of learning

cb was getting very crowded specialy with sidebanders could be useful if it has quietened down

Splash-Out

VHF - Ranger Communications (who??) RCI 600

GPS - Garmin 125 (combined GPS/FF)

FF - Garmin 100 Red

VHF is the dogs breath. It's not great but does the job, just. Wouldn't recommend it (if you can still get them).

The GPS on the Garmin 125 is the same as the 128. The FF is basic with poor display detail, which is why I also bought the Garmin 100, which has better definition.

Bob F

Hi Guys

Not sure if you are all aware but I have made a web site for users of fishing boats and their equipment.

If any of you care to send me some of your thoughts on your boats and/or equipment I will add them to the relevent pages to help others.

If you have had or got poor eqiipment please tell me so I can add that as well.

Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance

Codfather

http://fishing_boats.tripod.com

rolleyes.gif

Lowrance LCX 15MT (Sounder and plotter)

Lowrance X55 - but needs leads 'cos someone cut them off

Garmin 215 and 225 Differential Units with around 15 charts covering Brest to the Baltic (in case I get lost one day) Only use one on baord at a time - interchangable.

Simrad RT164 - does the job

Icom Euro 1-v - brilliant HH

also related - a wonderfull padded carry case that takes all the units home with me. Aquired from West marine in Florida as an impulse buy but invaluable.

Hi all,

Old VHF Aqua Marine 5600,[i Think] loud and clear but getting old now.

MLR DGPS very good has only dropped out [lost signal] once in 4 years

Lowrance GMap5000c Color Plotter, only used on one trip since picked up at Boat show but very impressed.

Lowrance 105dfc color sounder, not yet used, fitted since boat came out [new in box. ]

Looking forward to testing when the boat gets launched.

AM FM car stereo

All of these are removed for security after every trip.

Charlie

Duncan

You can get replacement cables from Lowrance in the States.

Check this web site http://www.lei-extras.com/store/search.asp

Select what you want. Go for it now while exchange rate is great, at this price I doubt if you will be hit by VAT or any other tax.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Power Cables & Adapters

PC-2 Part # 8-53 $22.95

6-pin 4' cable with gray connector

Works with: Fish I.D. II Plus, Fish I.D. Plus, Magna II Plus, Magna Plus, Ultra II Plus, Ultra Plus, X-25, X-55, X-60, X-70, X-70A, X-70A 3D, Z-9000

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps

Cod

ohmy.gif

Thanks Cod - I was aware of these (and you can get them in this country for not much more) but by the time I have replaced the cables (and one of them has the transducer attached!) I am in the realms of a new unit price wise.

I am hanging on in the hope that someone has a unit failure and we can do a deal (on way or the other) on either the lead/'ducer or unit.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

DOMINO (Warrior 150)

VHF - Swiftech M168

HH VHF - SX90

Both of the above do their job adequately... as far as I can tell!... but are the only ones I've used, so have nothing to compare them with.

GPS / Plotter - Vision 07

This replaced a basic Eagle GPS unit and has performed adequately until recently... still trying to resolve a "Not Receiving" problem. The company that made them is no longer in business, so unless it is at a real bargain price I would not recommend anyone to buy one.

FF - Humminbird 565

US version... imperial units only!

This replaced a basic Lowrance X25b and is a huge improvement... while drifting in 50' - 80' of water recently I could 'see' a 6oz lead dropping to the bottom and being wound up!! (I didn't see any fish anywhere near it!! mad.gif )

I don't know if this is expected on modern FFs, but I certainly get that sort of detail on the old Lowrance.

Compass - Ritchie Angler

*** CRAP *** While under way the vibration causes the card to spin!!! I should replace it really... any recomendations?? (At a sensible price!)

VHF: Ain't got one yet, need to get the license first

Fishfinder:Matrix 20, combined ff and GPS.

GPS:see above.

If you're going to sea in a small boat I'd get a VHF radio and worry about the license later... no ones going to want to check your paperwork before responding to a Mayday call!!!!

If you're going to sea in a small boat I'd get a VHF radio and worry about the license later... no ones going to want to check your paperwork before responding to a Mayday call!!!!

Don't worry, I'm pretty safe where I'm sitting, cos the boat is on the drive and won't be anywhere near the water till I learn to launch and retrieve first tongue.gif

Don't worry, I'm pretty safe where I'm sitting, cos the boat is on the drive and won't be anywhere near the water till I learn to launch and retrieve first tongue.gif

A man who is destined for greatness in the world of small boats smile.gif

He has already grasped one of the essentials that so many miss. learning to launch and recover is a good idea.

However if everyone were to do this, just think of all the fun we would miss. Jack flash and his bimbo *arting about trying to get a 16ft speed boat with a 200hp engine onto a 13ft trailer with no winch. Or mum dad and 14 kids with a 25ft Thames cruiser behind a Fiesta slowly pulling the Fiesta backwards ever deeper into the mud at the side of the slip. rolleyes.gif

I am certain that if it hasn't already been offered you will find plenty here that will come with help and advice when your ready to launch. (put me down for a start).

Mike

A man who is destined for greatness in the world of small boats smile.gif

He has already grasped one of the essentials that so many miss. learning to launch and recover is a good idea.

However if everyone were to do this, just think of all the fun we would miss. Jack flash and his bimbo *arting about trying to get a 16ft speed boat with a 200hp engine onto a 13ft trailer with no winch. Or mum dad and 14 kids with a 25ft Thames cruiser behind a Fiesta slowly pulling the Fiesta backwards ever deeper into the mud at the side of the slip. rolleyes.gif

I am certain that if it hasn't already been offered you will find plenty here that will come with help and advice when your ready to launch. (put me down for a start).

Mike

Why did you think I wanted to learn how to launch and retrieve in the first place?! Saw a couple tried to launch (man tried to launch and woman at helm tried to put the boat in reverse beford man had chance to unhook the winch), it might pretty comical, man shouting and woman shouted back, not sure if they were still together afterwards....... blink.gif

Just waiting for one of the trips to be closer to the solent and I'll be there.

Newboy,

The trailer section will be down on the Solent in about 3/4 weeks time. Launching from Lymington - fishing the Solent for Ray and Smoothies.

Would you like to have an assisted launch then? - Great slip at Lymington. There will also be plenty of hands on hand (so to speak?!?! wink.gif )

Adam

Re: Launching. I did exactly the same when I first got my boat last year. Went down to Wick and watched numerous people launching and retrieving.

I quickly learnt that there are many who have no clue ( esp. in the summer ) !!

It is actually great entertainment smile.gifsmile.gif

In the 4 or 5 weeks I watched launches I saw the following :-

1) Trailer pushed down the slip and while the owner was busy talking to someone else it ( the trailer ) continued down its merry way and sunk. ( His kids then had to dive to find the strap and pull it back out ).

2) Boat put onto trailer crooked and after 30 mins of messing around the boat slid off the back of the trailer ( not before someone unaware pedestrian tripped over the rope between the car and the trailer )

3) Beautiful "Ring" speedboat 3/4 of the way on the trailer. Methid used to get it fully on the trailer was to speed across the car park and then slam on the brakes.

4) The worst. Man reverses down slipway and takes out a blow up dingy ( which eventually had 4 people onboard when only size for 2 ) and a Seagull outboard.

He then gets 8/9 year old son who has nothing on his feet to hold the Seagull. He then starts it whilst out of water and right by his son's feet........

At least one person told him "I wouldn't do that if I were you". Some people are just plain stupid.

I quickly learnt that there are far worst launches than mine ( and I certainly am not that good at them ! ).

PS: If my wife's back is still bad you are more than welcome to crew for Neo.