Hayling Island - Sunday 14 March

Bob F

Here's the details for the slip that we will be using. It's out of the main run, and so will not be affected by the tidal flow as much as I thought. Good!

I will also contact Southsea Angling Club to let them know that we would like to fish the area, and ask them for tips on using the slip and local marks.

Low tide will be around 08:30 but this will not affect launching. High tide is around 4pm (need to wait till tomorrow to get the exact times).

The plan is to meet at the "Roundways???" Motorway Service Station on the M27,

just before the M3 junction. Shall we say we'll meet there at 8am?

Slip details:

Name: Eastney Beach, Eastney

Type of ramp: Concrete

Upper ramp area is: Shingle

Lower ramp area is: Sand

Boat suitability: Large trailer

Length of ramp: All of tidal range

Charges Jet ski:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rounhams Service station, I belive, Bob...not roundways!!

Just after the turning for the M271, easy to find, well sign posted. There is a large car park so plenty of room for boats and cars.

Better get me spoons out!

Rownhams services as DavidUK says are 1/2 mile after junction 3 ( The M271 junction ). The services entrance is halfway up the hill - you can't miss it - its marked services smile.gif

From your description Bob, it has just dawned on me that the part that says "on your left you see a marina" is the exact marina that my friend at work keeps his boat in !! - Southsea Marina I am pretty sure it is called. I went with him to see his boat the other week and almost know the way off the top of my head.

I will get down there in the week to check it out.

BTW: Coming from the M27 direction you merge onto the A27 and the junction we want is the first one. Follow directions to Portsmouth Football ground and then you turn left just before reaching it.

( I go past the turning every day to work ).

Been talking to one of the local experts.

He says the tides next Sunday aren't too good for the Plaice.

So, I'masking him for alternatives (e.g. the Nab Tower for the rays).

Everything else will remain the same.

If we go out to the Nab Tower it will probably be better if we can consolidate everyone onto Dave's, Mark's and Martin's boats.

For example:

Adam and I will go with Mark.

Paul D with Martin and Dean.

Richard Swain with Dave and Kev (not certain that Richard will be coming).

Will that be OK?

It's looking like Splash-Out will not be available anyway. They have found a problem whilst servicing the motor.

cheers

Bob F.

bob if we are going in too boats do you and adam want to meet at my house it will be easier to sort out the boat with 3 of us and then meet up with martin i am hopeing to take loyal royal friday with adam and paul for a test drive and get some hours on the engine and see how it is to launch and recover .

mark b

Bob,

I really should have read your post before buying tackle to catch the plaice smile.gif

Also, I should have read it before arranging with a friend of mine to fish with me !?! Presumably, I will have to un-arrange if the Nab Tower is chosen ( no problem ).When will you know which option is the "chosen one" as I will need to let him know ?

regards Paul

Paul, I'm getting a slightly confused picture from the locals about the Plaice fishing.

Ada (local expert) emailed me back to say he'd made a mistake with the tides on Sunday, and nows says there would be a good tidal run from around midday.

But Sunday will be just after neap tides, so I'm not certain that there will be enough tide.

Dave's bleak report isn't inspiring, either.

Dave, what do you think, Nab Tower or Plaice fishing?

I've asked some of the locals about how the Nab Tower is fishing. Waiting to their reply.

Bob F.

Bob,

I have let my friend know that it may be Plaice fishing or maybe not. Let me know when you make your mind up smile.gif lol

Seriously, as soon as you know, let me know as I would like to take the boat "for a spin" but not as far out as Nab Tower ( until the summer ).

Now if I were to get a bigger boat ...... hmmm unsure.gif

regards Paul

Quire a collection reading this 2nite!!!!

I vote for the plaice, and leave the nab for the summer as another trail-away, maybe replace the manacles?

as dave said, one bad day, another could be a red letter!

Adam

OK decision made.

We will stay with the Plaice fishing. Just read another report that said one boat had 6 plaice a week or so ago, so they are there. Like Dave said, it was just a bad day yesterday.

We'll save the Nab Tower for another trip. We will know the area a bit better after the Plaice trip.

Local tip for bait is rag worm tipped with squid.

Mark - Adam and I will still meet you at your place to help with the boat. Splash-Out will probably still be out of action, so I will come with you regardless, if that's ok. Meet at your place at 07:30??

Then we will all meet at Roundhams Service Station at 8am.

Adam, I just realized I should have left the organizing with you as Trailering Commadore. Sorry for treading on your patch. huh.gif

Bob F.

Hi All

best of luck with your trip next week. biggrin.gif

I hope that there is an early run on the flatfish for you.

I used to be a Member of Southsea angling club and used the public slip next to the compound a lot.

it launches into the channel between Eastney and Hayling island so although it is a good slip it does get a swell on it in a southerly and also has plenty of tide, so take care to avoid launcing in the main part of the tide.

I would suggest using a length of stout rope between car and trailer to keep your cars well up the slipway away from any shingle. It gets scarry when the wheels lose their grip.!!!! sad.gif

If you are launching/ recovering at HW there is another slipway on the other side of the road [Opposite ECA] that is much more sheltered and has no tidal flow to worry about. I can not remember how many hours either side of LW it can be used but one of the locals would be able to.

Tight lines

Charlie biggrin.gif

Pass me another one, this one's split.

I'd be honoured to be your Underling, Adam.

Charlie...ah, a local expert. Of course!!! I forgot this was your old patch.

So, will this slip be ok for Mark's big boat?

The other slip that was recommended was at Gilkicker Point at Gosport, by the lifeboat station. Looks a bit exposed to me though. Which slip would you recommend?