Best Day Bass Fishing.....

alun j.

Trevor, way back in 1984...when I was a boy during the war, <gg>, I took part in a study of the Pike population in a three loch system over in N. Ireland, close to Londonderry.

We caught, weighed measured, and released Pike from fingerling size, v difficult to catch!! to upper thirties, quite easy. Catches were mapped, in each water, and the results were read by a student at Queens University, for his dissitation. It read very well, the population was ideal, like a pyramid, loads of pike in the 0-7lbs bracket, slightly less in the 10-15lbs bracket......all the way up to one beast of a 37lber.

Im sure if club members take scales, bag em, along with maybe a grid where caught, state of tide etc, we can build a usefull study in a very short time.

Out of interest, what type of microscope is needed??

Rich

Nobody seems to have talked about the breeding nature of Bass. I stand to be corrected, but I think that the breeding population of bass is confined only to the bigger 8lb + fish. Therefore killing this large fish which could produce thousands of bass fry was IMO a big mistake.

Also I totaly agree with Rich in as much if you actualy WANT a table fish then a 2lb or so fish is ideal, the big fish have coarser flesh and nothing like the full delicate flavour of the younger ones.

Another important factor is the build up of poisionous toxins in the flesh of older fish, this is scientificaly proven.

To decide to justify killing a breeding stock fish which you just happened to catch, with the excuse 'I am going to eat it' is very different from going out to deliberatly target a 'table fish' or two.

IMO a true sportsman would have put it back for all of the logical reasons that there aare for not killing larger fish.

Mad Mike

Unregistered Guest Chappy (Mad Mike)

Nobody seems to have talked about the breeding nature of Bass. I stand to be corrected, but I think that the breeding population of bass is confined only to the bigger 8lb + fish. Therefore killing this large fish which could produce thousands of bass fry was IMO a big mistake.

Also I totaly agree with Rich in as much if you actualy WANT a table fish then a 2lb or so fish is ideal, the big fish have coarser flesh and nothing like the full delicate flavour of the younger ones.

Another important factor is the build up of poisionous toxins in the flesh of older fish, this is scientificaly proven.

To decide to justify killing a breeding stock fish which you just happened to catch, with the excuse 'I am going to eat it' is very different from going out to deliberatly target a 'table fish' or two.

IMO a true sportsman would have put it back for all of the logical reasons that there aare for not killing larger fish.

My understanding is, that bass begin to breed at an age of about 8 years. There may be a size element to the onset of maturation but I doubt it is 8lbs. I have taken fish of 4-5lbs which show gonad development. I will check the species data with DEFRA. The option for the angler as I suggested, less than subtly, was that anglers take only what they need for their immediate use if they intend to take anything, i.e. weight for weight of whatever.

Conservation of a species used for food.

Once you have decided that you will take fish for the table. If the intention is to take fish for food, I am suggesting that if the angler takes a 15lb fish and returns 3 x 5 lbs of younger fish, he does the species a far greater service. The younger fish will be slightly more evolutionary adapted. In other words, by removing one that has reproduced for many years, in spite of its weight has only a third of the genetic diversity and therefore a third of the adaptation capability of three smaller fish. It has contributed for several more years than the 5lb fish and is now out of date by several generations regards evolutionary adaptation. Hair splitting I know, but mathematically and biologically undeniable. The sizes referred to here are just a mathematical example and not meant to represent what I or anyone else may take. It is the theory on which you could base a selective take, given the opportunity, if take is what you intend to do, whilst maintaining the best interests of a species

Well done fellow club members !! Everyone contributing here has sound, considered arguments and , in our own, individual ways, shows we care about our environment and our impact on it.

I was out with Paul F. [ Sinbad ] today on a blustery [ but warm and thoroughly enjoyable ] day .......... in the harbour [ after declining the Ledge]......... and got through a pile of rag.......... feeding the crabs and baby bass !!

But we did get two sizeable bass and two flounders......... which we took.......... and carefully returned at least 30 small bass....... all in fine condition ......... fighting much better than similar size dace in the river [ similar tackle !]

We also had two good sized eels......... one lightly hooked and returned; one came in deeply hooked and bleeding, so kept it and had it for supper.

NB. ........... culinary failure !!!! ........... nice sauce, but no one liked the eel; tough, greasy [ perhaps undercooked !!] , not a good texture. Next time I'll try the slow stew in red wine !!!

I trid the 'pan-fry' after listening to this weeks edition of Radio 4's food prog., all about eels.

Bass tomorrow will be appreciated better.

Alun.

Smoking............... is the best thing I've had done to eels.........

In previous tears, when eels were more abundant, I've taken them to the Dorset Smokery near Hurn Airport........you get them back a week later.......smoked and vacuum packed.

Costs a bit but well worth a real treat.

Alun.

Alun, get ureself a galvy dustbin, put it on a raised base, a half size one is best, try and fit a tube in the top, like the garden watse burners readilly available form old style ironmongers, on the base, place a coarse grade mesh, to enable a tray to be placed on top, then fit shelves, similar to grill replacements for kettle barbecues, again, readilly available. Place either coarse sawdust, and hardwood is good, or maybe apple wood chunks, which will also burn slowly, on the tray, place ure fish on the racks........light in an airy place, and let it smoke away......24hrs does fish a treat. Try it, you'll be surprised. I satarted by making smokers out of steel biscuit tins.......building larger more ehat effieient ones. I have a good supply of fruit wood, sawdust......just ask matey, PJ has used some of mine I believe.

Rich

Paul

Talking of smoking, you reminded me. A short while ago I spoke to Adam re smokers, recipes, books etc and I promised to turf out my old Innes Walker 'smokers bible'.

Couldn't find it mad.gif but I just had a shot on amazon as a last resort and........... presto biggrin.gif it appears it was revamped and printed again in the 1990's. I've ordered one as it was so cheap

Just remember a friend show me an easy way of cooking eel. BBQ/grill eel fillet.

Cut eel into 2"x3"/3"x4" thin (say 10mm) slices. Marinate slices in soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, salt, seasoning mixture for a few hours. Skew each slice with a couple of bamboo stick to stop it curling while cooking. Brush on more sauce/marinate, grill under hot grill for a few minute each side, serve with salad or rice with veg.

PS, Where does the toxin in softwood come from, is it naturally present?

Talking of smoking, you reminded me. A short while ago I spoke to Adam re smokers, recipes, books etc and I promised to turf out my old Innes Walker 'smokers bible'.

Couldn't find it  but I just had a shot on amazon as a last resort and........... presto  it appears it was revamped and printed again in the 1990's. I've ordered one as it was so cheap

I hope you used the link from our site to Amazon...the club gains commision if you did  nothing if you didnt 

Martin

ohmy.gif

Martin,

Do I get fined for not using the club link to Amazon unsure.gif

If I pay the commission direct to the club............... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

will that prevent me from having a dodgy record ph34r.gif