Best Day Bass Fishing.....

alun j.

Tried to drag Sinbad out with me today , but he was busy with family......

......as were most other folk , judging by the scarcity of boats over here in Christchurch; a few were out at the end of the Ledge and a couple on top of the reef .

I headed to my favourite ' drop-off' area [ as tide and wind were all in the right direction ]. .... and action from the 'off'.

I hadn't appreciated how tired/ exhausted I'd become after a hard 1/2 term at work and no proper fishing for the past three weeks ........ but in the first half hour I lost three fish !! a big bass at the net and two others half way in { never before !!].... could have been the unexpected swell?

A strong coffee and increased concentration....... but had I 'spooked' the bass?

Looked like it as nothing for 3/4 hour...... then a pollack [ consolation for tea ?] . a bream ........ and then !!!.... a 5 lb. COD !

Then the bass were back...... every 20 or 30 mins........ 'sreamming reel' bites; then a real tussle on light tackle with 3 or 4 oz. weight [ enough for the tide].

Seven bass from just over 2 lb up to 6 lb. being the best [all different sizes].

All fish took slices of frozen mackeral on Pennel rig..... right in close to the rough ground [ lost lots of hooks but not the anchor].

Freshening wind and change of tidal flow put a premature end to the day at 2.30.

Looks like Paul D. out with Paul J. found the weather equally uncomfortable as we met up in the Run on the way back in ..... but not as productive !!

Hope others had as good a day as I did ??

Tight lines,

Alun.

Not as productive definitely !

We headed out to try a mark a little further out in the hope of the elusive cod. PJ was into a bass after 15 mins or so and then doggie after doggie.

I had a lovely marked small eyed ray which was small all in all senses of the word smile.gif

We then decided to move in a little closer to the ledge where a couple of charter boats were fishing. I had a cracking take only to be pulled into the rough ground - I suspect it may have been an eel. We then had pout and nothing else showing.

Still, it was good to get out fishing after 3 weeks and back in time to watch the football.

Alun, a cracking result, plenty of nice bass there, and an early Cod aswel, Pukka!!

I need to catch up with you and sort you out some cash for the reel, I might get the reel at the next meeting if im not working, if i am i will give the money to one of the boys to give to you.

PJ, was it a big bass? I spoke to Paul D yesterday and i thought xray was the plan to see if the whiting had come in

Alun

I knew I should have taken you up on the offer - its ages since I've fished the ledge. But well done for the Cod (second this autumn for you) and all those fantastic bass bites.

One Cooked leg of pork for six, blackberry pie and custard - washing up done, just the shirts to iron now - mission accomplished,

Thank God I can go back to work tomorrow !!!!!!

Paul

Adam,

Don't give up yet ........... it's still only October........ the water is still warm..... and the bass are fattening themselves up before the long cold spell.

I think there's a few more big ones around ............ if you can get out after them.

This weeks windy weather has put paid to my half - term plans , but at least the warm air keeps sea temp. up............ 14 C +

Sat. looks posslble......... might see you out there??

Alun.

I wonder how old it was? unsure.gif

During the summer cool.gif I took scale readings from a group of bass in the 5-7.5lb range (all from the same mark and tide). All fell in the 11 & 12 year bracket. Does anyone else in the club look at this sort of stuff?

Wedger

Humphrey phoned me about this one just after it was caught, and the weight was going between 12lb and 17lb in very rough weather.

As it was so close to the Club record of 13lb they decided to bring the fish in for certified weighing, unfortunatly the shops were closed when they got back so the fish was weighed on scales from a charter boat on the Jetty.

Adam you will have to get very close to the Club record to beat that one, but I expect there are fish out there that are bigger

just need the wind to ease down a bit.

Charlie biggrin.gif

There speaketh a true gastronaut after my own heart tongue.gif .

All in the best possible taste.............. smile.gif ................. wink.gif

If ya guna kill it ph34r.gif , ya'd beta wana eat it rolleyes.gif .

If ya wana eat it rolleyes.gif , ya'd beta be prepared to kill it ph34r.gif .

Veggies notwithstanding................ sick.gif

Kam you hit the nail on the head

the fish if killed on Ow Much will definatly be eaten, by Neil or Humphrey.

I have fished with them both many times and nothing gets mistreated on that boat. even mackeral are kept alive or dispatched humanly.

They may keep some fish for the table but both of them put an awful lot more than most of us [ They fish often and catch their share] back alive.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Charlie, bravo

If we all had this attitude...............

you could walk on them,..........

from here to Sydney !

and just so there is no misunderstanding.................. dry.gif

declare ye all who cannot kill what you wish to eat!!

Or should I say'..........

Declare ye all who cannot eat, all you wish to kill'

I hear whats being said, although bass of double figures tend to be "wooley" in taste, compared to say, a fish of half the size. The large Bass I had, last year, really had me in a quandry, as the trip hadnt been such a success for me, and selfishly, I thought of the table. Looking at the fish, and hearing others thoughts on the boat, then remebering how larger bass have tasted on our table as kids, I decided she would go back, and truthfully, I felt glad when I saw her turn and swim back off to the deeps.

On the subject of scale reading, Is it difficult Trevor, or can a mere mortal muppet such as I learn to do this fairly accurately? I'd love to take part in programmes such as the Shark tagging one, or a Bass size/weight/age study, as this really interests me. Is there a specific place/method of where one removes a scale, how does one lift a scale?

Maybe, we can start a record sheet, purely for club records, of fish sizes?? We certainly have some good fish recoreded across the area, and seasons, I personally would love to learn this skill, and play a valuable part in bass conservation. Food for thought........not the table<ggg>

Rich

Rich,

Not too blink.gifblink.gif at all wink.gif

A reasonable sample is 4-5 scales just in case you get a difficult one. I take them the flank about half way between the lateral line and the main dorsal fin. Popped into a little placy bag will keep forever. Sample of 3 scales read per fish as a minimum to ensure your not reading replaced scales of younger age. These are usually smaller, but not always, hence the 4-5 starting sample. For fish being returned I suggest not taking directly adjacent scales thus exposing too much skin in one patch. If your really concerned you could have a dab of anticeptic handy, but personally if you

Just on the point of 'which fish should I take'

I see it thus.

Purely from a species conservation point of view.

Bit like any population management, achieving health, strength and productivity through genetic diversity. Genetic diversity, ensures adaptability, this is the environmental insurance policy of all species.

From abundant healthy populations:

A few small fish taken does no harm as there are so many.

As they have demonstrated their ability to survive thus far, those fish which have reached maturity should be allowed to contribute to the population for a few years and so I would take fewer of these. (8L0*dy pair trawlers notwithstanding).

Larger fish have actually contributed genetically for several, if not many years, so it does no harm to the species to take a few of these as realistically their genes are not needed.

The conservation of large specimens is a matter of keeping the whole growth potential available which is quite important, and for the enjoyment of those who wish to see/use them. That