Thursday

plaicemat

Only a quick report as I have a very busy day. Very enjoyable day out with one of the Jones boys yesterday, in this case Ian. We managed to find some mackerel but had trouble keeping them alive as they don't seem to like my American aerating bait tank, despite not engaging the aerator (which kills them in minutes) and changing the water regularly, I really must get a deck wash pump fitted so I can run a proper bait tank. However, we persevered and I did manage to snaffle a couple of nice bass, the biggest going 8lb 2oz when weighed at home at the end of a very long day. It will probably be a bit smaller when I remove the bloody great crab which can be easily felt in its belly, it's going to know it when it craps that lot out!

Otherwise, a fairly uneventful day which left us unbothered by much else of note apart from a nice gurnard for Ian which will, perhaps, contribute to a nice fish stew. As it has done for the last two outings, a perfectly good forecast went windy and lumpy for the second half a the day which put the mockers on the plaice session, they don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwaring. As seems to be usual, the day finished with me eating my take away Chez Burt, always fun.

Now watching the weather for Alderney next week, everything crossed.

Terry.

Quick update, upon gutting the bass, it's stomach contents were quite amazing, how it was going to jettison this lot, I'm not quite sure, I've heard of being on solid foods but this is ridiculous! The fish is a small flattie, not what I would expect on the ledge.

20210625_140244.thumb.jpg.0827f65384b1f7128f2de1b9e504b5f0.jpg

The bait tank was only a stop gap Charlie, I've had it for some years, sent to me by the Florida owner of Keep Alive bait tanks who I used to know and fish with. For anything other than mackerel, it is brilliant but therefore of little use to me. When I can find somebody to fit a deck wash pump I will be back up to speed, as I was on Stingray.

Terry.

6 minutes ago, gaffa said:

My goodness Terry that's a selection are those brown objects stones or shells?

He must have been hungry or there is so little food out there his eyesight must have been affected😄

Two stones and two shells Pete.

Terry.

1 hour ago, plaicemat said:

When I can find somebody to fit a deck wash pump I will be back up to speed, as I was on Stingray.

Terry.

Richard at Power Marine could do this for you plus he is based in Cobbs or I can drill you the hole and fit the intake but you would need to take care of the electrics.  Images are of what I used to fit a deck wash to Awol

DSCF0041.JPG

DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0039.JPG

Nice bass, well done. Those unedibles may have been there for some time...

My boat is fitted with a jabsco water puppy. Been going strong since 2006, can be left on running all day and often is. Water fills from the floor and exits from the top. It keeps everything alive.

Alderney forecast is looking great, everything crossed it stays that way.