Bait Dropper

Manic Moore

Paul Jennings and I tried out the magnet and feel that we did draw fish to our swim, only dogs and pout (and a nice bonus wrasse)

I made up a dropper from a bird feeder and with a litle help from Adam fitted a lead base of about 1.5lb. It seemed to work ok but seemed a little flimsy when forcing in the semi frozen gunk.

Lesson: Don't drop it down on braid, especially when the boat starts to swing in the wind and gets tangled with the lines Doh.

I think I will have a look at the pipe option. Freeze it in a pipe with plenty of holes, wrap with cling film (thats the bait not me!) and freeze. Make an outer sleeve with holes that the frozen pipe fits into, lead bottom and just drop the frozen tube into the outer sleeve and over the side (with thicker cord)

I'll let you know how it goes

Groundbaiterless Moore

When I did ground bait for bream last year, I minced up some prawn, some squids, some intrails of cuttlefish, some blood from the beef we get and any old meaty kitchen scrape I found in the kitchen, add some rice and pour it into 2 4litre milk containers and freeze them.

On the Ledge, I used a 4mm nylon and tied it to the milk bottle (with several 10p szie hole cut into the side) with a 5 lb weigh and sunk it directly under the boat. It took about an hour for it to melt away. Then we put down the second bottle, and this one got tangled with some of the line when the tide turned.

We did well with the first bottle and not so well with the second one.

This year I think I might try using flour to bond the mixture together before freezing it, only problem is squeezing the doul into the bottle.

It may be a daft question but what is wrong with the string bag you get with washing tablets. rolleyes.gif

We seem to have hundreds of them and they have loads of holes in them to spread the sent. huh.gif

I accept thay are a little on the small size but all you need to do is send a line down with a nice heavy weight, clip on a fresh bag every so often to keep up the sent trail as the boat moves around.

Am I missing something here?

Coddy

cool.gif

Nice try but do you think the crabs would rip them to shreds?

Not if you put a stopper on the line before it reaches the bottom.

This can easily be set up before sending the line down.

As the tide drops just pull in a little line or when the tide floods let out a little more line.

At the end of the day these bags are free and I at least have hundreds of them.

Coddy

cool.gif

Hi Dave

Can you spare a few of those bags?

I would like to try them out by filling them and then freezing them inside a plastic bag for handling purposes.

the fine mesh may slow the wash out down,and just add another when the trail starts to fade away,

In My experiance the problem with using bags deep in the water in summer is tope tear the bags to bits, I used to use a protector of chicken wire but am considering using a length of plastic downpipe.

I need some stoppers for the ends, I wonder if the Pringle tube ones will fit?

If not has anyone any cunning ideas of where to get stoppers from for say

2 1/2"or 3" pipe

Easy to get for 4" pipe but I think that size will catch the tide to much

Cheers

charlie biggrin.gif

Dave, I have been using these small bags for a few years now, I mash up cat food, a couple of tins of pilchards in oil, a couple of small cheapo tins of herrings in oil, bulk out with either bran or bread crumb, add some boiled rice, then squash it into ice cube trays to feeze. Once frozen, I pop out the cubes, and three or four fit nicely into the string bag.

One draw back that I have encountered, is that the bag has a tendancy to twist in the trace, so I clip it to the lead, on a normal tube rig type boom.

However........I'm still crap!!!!

Rich

Just to add to the list of methods....... tongue.gif

I freeze my mix in plastic moulds with a handful of gravel and a loop of garden wire. The frozen blocks get wrapped in clingfilm and shipped in polystyrene chiller boxes. At sea, unwrap the cling film and clip the loop to the boom on the same snap link as the lead. I do a small (shallow) and large (deepwater) block. Give it a few minutes to soften, strike hard and it will drop away. Or work it back downtide with the lead and it'll drop away when you hit a fish.

This works really well for the bream if you keep dropping down a block when the bites slow down. The groundbait is right over the hookbait, there's no awkward swimfeeder or dropper to load and if the boat swings you don't find yourself off the hotspot for long. You do need to get the mix right though, if it won't drop away it ruins the 'feel' of the fishing.

Blocks stay frozen all day, so I just take an excess and drop the unused ones back in the freezer. If anyone wants to play, we throw the moulds away at work as they're just packaging. I can send some down with Codfather at the end of May.

Steve

p.s Adam, thanks, cheque went in this morning's post

Steve,

I'd be interested in trying the moulds. Sounds like a good method. I'll pinch some off Coddy if he brings them along.

cheers

BF

Hi Bob

I don't have "HUNDREDS" but I do have quite a few. Bit like my "BIG" fish I don't catch! laugh.gif

Will bring some along to the next meeting

Coddy

cool.gif

I'd be interested in trying the moulds. Sounds like a good method. I'll pinch some off Coddy if he brings them along.

Hi Bob

I don't have "HUNDREDS" but I do have quite a few. ...Will bring some along to the next meeting

Dave, are you confusing my plastic moulds with your washing powder bags, by any chance? unsure.gif

Either way, I'll chuck you some moulds for Bob at the end of the month. Want any cooler boxes as well?

Steve

Charlie. If as you say,Tope will attack and destroy these bait filled bags in summer,perhaps it would pay Andy and I to "spike" one of these with a few hooks [trebles even] and then at least we might catch SOMETHING this season.....jack..P.S. to our more technical and conservation minded readers...NO I am not serious. wink.gif

Hi All

This is one of the busy subjects this season and I love reading all the differant ideas.

Jack I have been looking at boats like yours on the net, and would love a trip sometime to see what they are like afloat,

Of course the shadow would want to come to [sam} wink.gif , especially if tackle and bait are to be taken.

Perhaps we can try and get together and get your boats fish repellant to switch off.

bring on the tope biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Charlie

You should have picked up a few, to sell on.

I would get a couple if Ikea was nearer

Charlie

I travel around the UK all the time so I will get some and hold a stock for club members.

I will advise when they are available

Coddy

cool.gif