Bait Dropper

Manic Moore

I've got an Ikea plastic bag that is a good bait dropper. Tesco bags work just as well but are not as trendy.

Attach a swivel to the end of your line. Add a large lead. Put this in the bag of your choice, scrunch the bag around the weight and secure with an elastic band. This forms a sort of upside down parachute. Fill the bag with ground bait and hold by the handles so the ground bait doesn't spill out. Lower into the water and let it drop to the sea bed. The force of the water will keep the bag closed and when it hits the bottom, jig it up and down a bit and the ground bait will spill out. Wind in the bag and get your hook bait in the same area.

This probably sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Have a go!!!!!!

John C

John

Thanks for the tip

I saw that one on John Wilsons fishing in Gambia program years ago and have used it with ease in deep water ever since .

as you say all you need is a bit of line a carrier bag and a large fishing weight. and a spare rod/reel

We all carry them when we go fishing.

I have one on the boat made from a length of very strong net cord, its been used dozens of times and cost pennies.

One point though only use fresh or fully thawed bait that is cut up fairly small. If you use frozen it will float away. : dry.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

An evening trip out with Charlie and Sam on Great White yesterday evening. Alas no Bream, however it was intersting to see Wedgers Magnet in operation for the first time. Just hanging it over the side of the boat dragged in surface feeders with ease. It was also intersting to see the speed at which it drops in slackish water, the slick on the surface, and the results......which were rapid. Ive used the bag method described by john, a very cheap and easy method of bottom bait distribution, but to see the magnet dissipate in the tide was good. I'll try that one.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Made a mock up of one of those Aushtralion torpedo type side-openin' Magnet droppers today! 7 minutes, a weight, 3 feet of light grade plastic tube, two wooden bungs, (some sticky backed plastic and a washin' up liquid bottle) and a band saw.

First class first time! biggrin.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif If I have the time I'll make up a proper one for Sunday. Still think the plastic bag is great but a bit more drag.

Plastic tapered pint pots of Magnet now in preliminary production. They turn out of the pot easily. Just hold in your hands for a moment, then gentle thumb pressure on the bottom with fingertips on the rim and they pop out. No waste & pots reusable. Your transom tube idea Charlie, your first shout. A few mammoth blocks still around sick.gif but plenty of smaller stuff planed.

I just made a dropper but have yet to test it

2" plastic tube drilled full of holes

Cut a keel roller in half for end caps which are held in place by a Knotted bungee cord running up the centre of the tube and through the hole in each end cap.

Make a stainless wire loop for the handle and a smaller wire loop to attach the wieght.

Paul J

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be interested in trying the moulds. Sounds like a good method.

Bob,

Coddy has a small stack of plastic moulds for you/anyone else, also half a dozen polystyrene cooler boxes. If anyone needs to keep bait frozen they're ideal. We bin 2-3 a day at work, shocking waste.

Steve

I'd be interested in trying the moulds. Sounds like a good method.

Bob,

Coddy has a small stack of plastic moulds for you/anyone else, also half a dozen polystyrene cooler boxes. If anyone needs to keep bait frozen they're ideal. We bin 2-3 a day at work, shocking waste.

Steve

I will bring the moulds and boxes down to the club meeting Thursday for those interested.

Coddy

cool.gif