MCZ consultation information

Coddy

Dear Stakeholder,

As you may be aware, Defra has today published a consultation on the third tranche of Marine Conservation Zones (MCZs), in which 41 new sites and the addition of new features to 12 existing MCZs have been proposed.

This is an ambitious and comprehensive tranche which will substantially complete our contribution to the ecologically coherent network of Marine Protected Areas around our coasts. If all of these proposed MCZs are designated, around 40% of English inshore and offshore waters will be protected, and the total for the UK as a whole will be nearly 25%. This will provide vital protection for the diverse array of wildlife in our seas.

The consultation is now underway and you can give us your views here: https://consult.defra.gov.uk/marine/consultation-on-the-third-tranche-of-marine-conser/

Please respond by Friday 20th July for your views to be taken into account.

We look forward to hearing from you. 

Yours sincerely,

Marine Conservation Zone Team
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do check this out, especially the Purbeck, Southbourne Rough & Studland Bay sites!

Respond  if you want to.

Dave

Having now read this consultation I fear for the future of the angling trade as we know it. seems very crafty how this is being done over a six week period when the football world cup is being held ? I think this could put a lot of tackle shops and charter boats out of business. please will all club members take a look at this as it could affect all our bream fishing and other types of fishing up to six miles out for a four month  period. not much time left to protest about this. 

I agree, but it is written in a way that it could be good news not necessarily bad news for RSA. Can we not organise a voice from our club involving other local clubs, charter skippers etc saying we will have a voluntary catch and release of all fish from areas being suggested as no fish zones? I know it’s very easy to suggest on an email and someone has to do the work, someone has to police it, ha ha , and some people will abuse things as usual.

At the end of the day if we do not do something radical in the sea,we really will have nothing left. Charlie does a brilliant job as conservation officer, and probably might know the most effective way of getting our voice heard. I would be very happy to help Charlie where I could.

I find it all pretty depressing regarding Mackerel, Plaice, Bream, Bass basically anything we eat as I am sure everyone does.

There is a special meeting of the RSAG group being held at the SIFCA offices to discuss this. This represents anglers and charter boats (and by virtue of the membership- tackle shops).

Please bear in mind why the potential for restrictions is even being discussed. We have all witnessed a decline in stocks in our lifetimes, and notably and significantly in the past 10 years.

These sites have been identified as being some of the last and best refuges and crucial sites (nesting sites, nurseries etc) of our favourite species.

We all argue that restrictions are required, and for equity those restrictions must apply to everyone (we have argued for exactly that with regards to Bass, and dislike it when that isn’t the case).

Like Charlie said earlier, we have moaned that there have been no restrictions on the existing MCZ’s.
We moan about the beam trawlers.
We moan about the nets.

Like it or not, we are seen as contributing to the general decline of fish stocks, along with the trawlers, the nets, the microplastics, the ocean warming and acidification... and like it or not, as much as we practice C&R and all the good things, it is correct, we are an additional (small?) pressure on stocks.

There’s no point putting in restrictions on sites that don’t have anything living on them, or at times when the species are somewhere else. We have to protect the sites where the fish live, when they are there, so that future generations will be able to see with their own eyes what a Bream/Bass/Wrasse/Ray/Dogfish looks like.

Yes, proposing things like C&R on these sites are things that we can do.
Realistically though, these type of ‘good behaviours’ are the things that responsible anglers (like us) already do, but the sites can’t be designated as ‘nice anglers only’.
Equally those people that ignore good practices now, will ignore restrictions in the future, so any new regulations MUST be backed up be effective monitoring and enforcement, or they will be pointless.
Again, frankly, the SIFCA have a lot of water to cover with very little resources to do so, and this is one reason for the lack of regs on the original MCZ’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After talking to a couple of Poole charter skippers there unstanding is there will be no anchoring or fishing allowed in these areas, while the bream are breeding ? More than one say they will be forced to give up, including both the Swanage boats which I would imagine will also see the end  of the Swanage angling shop ? 

I am sure your right Dave, unfortunately to have anything left for the future,I am certain Charlie’s wise words are correct.

There are always bad apples in every barrel and sea fishermen (RSA) seem to have there fair share if not more, it’s a great shame. I do feel sorry for genuine charter skippers trying to make a living but we cannot carry on as we are. 

RSA need to stand togeather to be heard, we are our own worst enemy but need to be heard over so many things happening in our seas and oceans.

• 3 weeks later...

One week to go...

Apparently the online consultation response facility may be too constricting for you to be able to fully make the comments that you would like.

There is an option to download a word file that you can complete & then email to Defra in place of using the online response option.

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/marine/consultation-on-the-third-tranche-of-marine-conser/supporting_documents/Annex%20D%20Word%20Format%20Response%20Form%20V2.doc

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk