Trailer boats , summer wrecking weekend West Bay

Hooky

I'm not really sure how many members on here trailer their craft but thought I might try to see if anyone interested .

I'm going down for the weekend for another crack at the cod, pollack etc from a few of my favourite wrecks.

I have them all plotted , takes about 40 mins steam out to mark X , had a fantastic result a few years ago use lures only ( try to do at least 4 productive wrecks a day )

You would need at least 50 litres of fuel , a big ice box ( no bait required )

At the present time I have room for one crew ( must be full club member )

Cost of slipway and overnight pontoon mooring to follow .

Post away if interested , let's get this section going again .

Venue https://www.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/travel-dorset/harbours/boat-and-trailer-parking/bridport-west-bay

Superb venue , brilliant fishing .

IF you can get on the slip (before 7 am and return after 7pm ) you could miss the harbour master so may miss the charges !

Overnight on the pontoons is £ 35.00 ish.

I'm bringing a sleeping bag and my portable gas Webber BBQ so ( as usual weather permitting ) I'm going to book 3 days off !

Fuel : allow plenty , my old tub carries at least 50 litres , from the last time I used this per day .

Gummidge on Endeavour 3 will of course run out within a hour or so !!!! So anyone that has a little more room for a extra tanker or two please bring them , my old bus can't drag around his lump for too long !!!!!!!!!

Fuel available 3 miles away .

Checking tides etc ( need neeps as some wrecks rather deep .)

Loads of wrecks to hit but many are netted but (according to my gestimate ) around 26 good ones to try all within 40 mins or so of the slip

It is a possibility I'm may be out on my new tub ( sshhhhh) tiz a secret , don't tell the wife .

Any boat around 16ft will be fine , buddy boat system in place so noobs will be looked after ., all welcome

Will update soon , keep checking , ta chaps

Hi hooky

I used to trial my warrior down to west bay, those were the days of the old wooden slip way go to far and a two foot drop of the end.

I used to go out to the gible hamen about 8-9 ish miles out, always provided a good selection of fish i.e. Bass cod pollock I had my best pollock out there 17 1/2 pound,

There are good many good places all around there, Lyme Regis is another good place to launch you need to be out early to beat the crowds and for parking

Have a great trip

Thanks all , looking at weekend of Saturday 8th July , I hope the weather gods let this happen because it's a case of ' you can have this week off ' sometimes I wish a was not a employee ! Just another thing to get used too after 25 of self rule .

I'm planning on getting to the slipway around 6am , it won't be possible to get out if it's blowing W/SW so looking at a plan b

Plan B - launching from Weymouth or Portland , choose of harbour or back of the Bill , plan c , stay at home and sulk !

Checking tides etc

Yep all looking good , high water 7:33 , return at 7 pm ish , nice gentle tides , ideal .

Saturday & Sunday 8/9th July

Yep ; Gible Harman , please don't forget you will need to be a early bird , loads & lots of pleasure boaters to contend with.

You don't have to worry about the gate to the slip , it's not closed in the summer months.

Trailer parking can get a little busy , you 'could' after the day out leave your boat on its trailer in the trailer park , no harbour master or restrictions after 7pm ( ?????? ) but things change .

Looks more than likely I will stick with the old Shetland Suntrip , she does enjoy the fuel ( 60 Hp smoker) .

I think it's a wise idea to buddy up as she's getting on a bit , never let me down but the wreck is some 12 miles off shore , not part of the coast to be faced with issues , it's just on the limit for my Capability .

Please don't be concerned if you don't have 4wd , I have along with a rope ! .

You will ( must ) use a safety chain on launching / recovering , it's a steep slip , hours of fun can be spent watching those who don't !

Feel free to chip in , I have space for one crew ( must meet me at my gaff early ) first come etc

I usually launch from Portland slip, easy peasy with free parking and quick access to the open sea.

Yep , usually I do the same but had a bit of fun over the race , scared me a bit , I'm trying to think of others that have smaller craft , hence West Bay , we have a few new boaters in this club , I would like to think they would come along and get looked after .

Be nice to see getting this section moving again , I have no idea how many club members still use a trailer boat ???

Unfortunately I'm snookered for weekends in July, but West Bay is my home port, so if you need any help picking the fish-fests from the barren hunks of steel out there, just drop me a PM or call.
Gibel Hamam is often a decent shout, only 8 miles from the slip, but it is on EVERYBODY's route out to the deeper wrecks. Consequently it sees and swallows lots of RedGills.

Duncan

Unfortunately I'm snookered for weekends in July, but West Bay is my home port, so if you need any help picking the fish-fests from the barren hunks of steel out there, just drop me a PM or call.

Gibel Hamam is often a decent shout, only 8 miles from the slip, but it is on EVERYBODY's route out to the deeper wrecks. Consequently it sees and swallows lots of RedGills.

Duncan

Cheers Dunks : could you check out the pontoon overnight costs etc ? harbourmaster on duty times etc ? ta

Keep it coming with any wrecks that may hold a few biggies ( with 12 miles if poss )

Living in Oxfordshire, I always trail and used to do the club trips to Portland and Burnham on Sea. I still have two or three trips to Portland each year so would be happy to stretch a bit farther. I'll check dates.

Terry where are you in Oxfordshire? i live in Witney and although not a pbsbac member i am a member of Burnham boat club.