Charity wreck trip

crazy fred

Well it was time to take the frivolous 5 on their wrecking trip.

The sound of a foghorn alarm means it's time to get up and it's stupid time 4-50am . The mind and body are not in sync yet and I turn the electric toothbrush on before its in my mouth so I'm now wearing the tooth paste good start to the day. A quick drive down to McDonald's to pick up dogfish and Nigel at 5-30 and pick up breakfast which consisted of 6 sausage and egg Mcmuffin meals with latte coffee my first and last good deed of the day.

We all meet at the boat at 5-50am exchanged pleasantries then ropes off and gone by 6-00 . A leisurely steam down the harbour eating breakfast and punching in waypoints shows its 38 miles to the first stop and its one hour and 50mins to go. We have to endure dogfish repetitively telling us he didn't get into 1-30am and had to get up at 4-00am for the whole steam out ,just hope he sleeps on the way home.

I tell the lads to get tackled up as we've only got 2hrs of ebb left when we get there and I want to make the best of the tide . Most have a good idea but Mal has spent his spare time at home making rigs that look like orthopedic leg braces but out of the kindness of his heart he offers them round but we all abstain while trying to be polite and explain we don't use things like that anymore. It looks like he's wasted his time and if he tries to use one we've hatched a plan to put him straight into the wreck .

We arrive at the first wreck and were into pollock straight away . After an hour I seem to be the target of the piss taking as I have not landed a fish yet the problem being I've been bitten off three times by a shark. I latch into a good fish so I give the rod to Chris but the shark promptly bites that one off as we'll so why am I attracting sharks ? .

I decide to try and catch it but have no shark traces onboard but Nigel has some 200lb line and a short wire trace for tope so nothing gained nothing lost . We tackle the rod up quickly and it's not the prettiest rig you've ever seen but workable . Out with a large pollock and whip off a fillet and send it down . Letting the bait down slowly so it doesn't tangle it gets to about 40 ft and that's the last we saw of that rig and the shark it just steamed off with it . Everybody was catching but Kev and Nigel were definitely catching better than the rest of us up till slack water .

Even though this mark was fishing well we still had no cod so I decided to steam 9 miles to a wreck we had done well on the week before with cod and pollock. We arrived at the wreck and the tide was pushing 1.5 knots which was perfect the only thing was the fish just weren't playing . We gave it an hour and decided to steam back to the first mark and hope the shark had left .

We a arrived back at the mark and the tide was now 3.5 knts but we were straight into the fish again and they were fighting hard as it was wind against tide . As the afternoon progressed Chris thought he would try to beat dogfish Daves record from a trip previously of loosing 11 sets of tackle . But when he got to 14 we all stopped counting except Mr Witheford .

As the afternoon progressed the wind freshened and by 4-30 we were all fished out , Dave had already had a sleep and Nigel had discovered a new disabled aid by living his rod in the holder while winding up . We had caught fish right through the day and had not even stopped for coffee so I decided stop the engines start the generator and make a brew and get the lads to start cleaning down and sort the fish out . Fifteen mins later we started to steam home slowly so as Dave , Mal and Chris could gut and fillet some of the fish as we didn't want that job when we got back . Dogfish came in the wheelhouse and did his impression of a nodding donkey for an hour , he must have a rubber neck . By now the weather was such that everybody had come in the wheelhouse and had decided to finish off at old Harry .

The weather at old Harry was flat and calm so by the time we reached the entrance all the work was done , so we had time to dish the dirt on each other's mishaps. We were trailed by the ice cream boat all the way up the Harbour which made a good end to the day.

We arrived back at the mooring at 6-30pm which made it a long day and we had done 118.3 miles .We had 80 or so fish with quite a few released to run the gauntlet with the fulmars and everybody agreed it was a good fun day nobody being exempt from a ribbing or two .

Thanks to

Mal . Kev . Chris . Nigel and Mr sleepy ?

post-178-0-63176000-1467060329_thumb.jpg

Freddy fulmars

post-178-0-22078700-1467064012.jpg

Well looks like I am first to respond to Fred have to say it was a lot more fun that watching England play Island.  Any way back to the fishing, great day bloody hard work though.  It was great to see Chris beat my record of 11 sets of gear lost to Neptune. As always the boat performed like a dream and im still getting over two acts of charity from Fred the donation to the Charity of the boat I understand, but he actual bought breakfast now I know he is not well.  The text on the phone welcome to France may be an issue as we forgot tell the french we were coming.  A big thanks to Fred for a great day, a big thanks to Mal for being the boats comic, thanks to Kev for showing us all we have been wrecking all wrong, for all these years, lastly thanks to the shark for giving Fred an excuse for catching no fish all morning.          

A big thanks to Fred for a great offer for a great cause

I can't add much more to the reports as you summed the day up spot on

Well a lot more p@@s taking than you mentioned, what a fantastic boat smooth even on a rough day and all that power I think when I grow up I'm going to buy one of them😃😃😃

Thanks to the skipper and crew for making it a top day out, hope one day we could do it all again

Still knackered Kev

A day to remember for all the right reasons and Fred's generosity for How enormous. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and learnt loads, which will all be forgotten by the next time I go.

The banter was awesome, for some reason the lads who got slightly wet feet and legs by my slightly enthusiastic use of the hose whilst gutting the fish, did loose their sense of humour a little bit. We found out later the hose had sprung a leak and I was totally innocent you honour. :D  :D  :D

Well done to all of us.

Great day thanks to Fred for your HOW auction and breakfast very generous .

Brilliant to fish with such a great bunch of mates,great laugh and Fred is slowly learning how to catch fish.

How Kev can catch when retrieving at 20 mph is beyond me but he did

Cracking day on a awesome boat with great company

Nig

That's the first time I've used that reel wrecking, but as it was catching with a faster retrieve so I stuck to it, only to be called all the names under the sun!!!

My theory was quicker the retrieve so to escape those toothy critters

They must have been a good size to eat fish around the 8 lb plus Mark

Let's hope my new super dooper reel works in Norway that's getting close now👍👍👍😃😃

O by the way Mal if you got any of those spare coat hanger thingys you were using my wardrobe could use um!!

Ok Charlie

It's the diawa saltiest 7.3.1 retrieve, really smooth bit of kit

You can get the 2 speed one as well

I hope it is tough as I bought it for Norway, if it blows the gears I'll blame Fred for putting the voodoo on it