The 'not Alderney' report

Adam F

If it wasn't for work getting in the way of Monday, JV would have gone to Alderney with the rest of the boys, however myself and Rob were stuck with needing to come back on Monday, and with a windy forecast on Friday leaving our window too small, I pulled out of the trip, postponing until June.

A last minute plan was drawn up to take advantage of the better weather this side of the channel, and a 48he trip to Portland. It left Ian with a tough call, as he also had the offer of a ride with Reel Magic... I think he'll agree he made the right decision.....

Sat dawned grey but with only a gentle breeze and with he tide in our favour we blasted down to the Shambles at 22 knots, and were fishing by 9am. Fishing was a bit below average but steadily we plugged away. The May water was awful, as bad as I've ever ever seen it, putting doubt in our minds somewhat.

We had a spot of breakfast on the first drift, very civilised... Croissants and coffee!

Anyway, slowly we started land a few turbot, strange for the Shambles in that many were below legal size. We finished the day with a very respectable 12 turbot and brill between us, best Turbot about 6lb and best Brill 4lb 8oz. Ian also added a nice Dab to our species hunt, as well as a cracking 25lb Blonde Ray which we thought was a turbot until it surfaced!

Ian did lunch on day 1, a great bacon, tomato and cheese mash pie, washed down with a shared bottle of red!

As the day drew on the wind dropped right off, the sun shone and the local boats went home, leaving the bank all to ourselves! We were staying in Portland Marina overnight, and we headed back in to the superb facilities about 7pm. With JV tied alongside and cleaned down, we showered and headed off for a few beers and a cracking meal of crab linguine at the Cove House Inn, tasted amazing, and great value too.

We all planned to stay onboard JV as it was only 1 night away. I designed her to sleep 3, and it makes a trip much easier not having to worry about B&Bs. After a sound night onboard, Ian rustled up a super breakfast of bacon, eggs and homemade bread, and with some what of a lazy start we headed back out to The Shambles at 9am.....

I suspect we arrived a bit late as the first drift felt absolutely bang on... Very fishy, as Ian proved with a stonking bite only moments after lowering down, he was soon connected to a decent fish... I hovered with the net and soon a monster on a turbot appeared out of the gloom.... I've only seen one that big before, and that was on Alfresco a few years back... Into the net and even before I swang it onboard I was convinced Ian had broke the 20lb mark.... On the scales it went 21lb 9oz! Absolute beauty of a fish, a fish of a lifetime!

The rest of the day was as day 1 with fish coming in spots and starts, and once again we finished with 12 turbot and brill. Ian was having a red letter trip, as if 2 100%+ specimens weren't enough he goes and lands a club record! A real rare catch.... And none of us really knew what it was when it first surfaced.... A weever? A scorpion fish? No it was a bloody Angler Fish! Albeit a tiny baby at just 4oz, it was a rare sight indeed, and what a beautifully ugly mean brute it was!

Soon it was time to head back home and after a sleepy run back from 3 tired anglers we arrived back in Parkstone at 6pm.

So, another great trip, with great company, a few fish to bring home, and even more returned. Going to Alderney wasn't so bad after all!

post-5-14634302368147_thumb.jpg

post-5-14634302558356_thumb.jpg

post-5-14634302746122_thumb.jpg

post-5-14634303159113_thumb.jpg

post-5-14634303405849_thumb.jpg

post-5-1463430385784_thumb.jpg

post-5-14634304158461_thumb.jpg

post-5-14634304360775_thumb.jpg

post-5-14634304659087_thumb.jpg

Well done JV crew - top angling and a great report Adam. Looks like you definitely made the right decision!

Stunning fish Ian, congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Ian, adding the last minute extra cheese for browning:

887afd2e5b8f8281e2a3be4d151855c3.jpg

Forgot to mention my pasta bolognese with garlic bread, I take the hint!!!

2c0624af5e1246461a35947c059f7cd4.jpg

35347eb7b3e4c1fd6cd43221b1051682.jpg

19d15440594c832b24bba16712fd649c.jpg

a65b5c9a915c45e38abb7a50e003ad62.jpg

117e3c3c7bb20fc56440f66532efcc20.jpg

Cheers chaps, great weekend, enjoyable over nighter and a please to see that beast landed! And the big turbot!

Made my 9lber look pathetic!

Struggled on bait at times and we just keep ahead of our requirements, pockets of macs and launch.

My undulate at 13:14 was 2oz short of a specimen, must try harder!!!!

Well done guys great fishing and to think you were only 100yds away, Great fishing with all the other boats around and quite a bit more wind than forecast. Great pics cracking Turbo Ian. Can I book in for some coaching after my efforts Sunday.. We tried hard but struggled thanks to niggle for the trip out,  I enjoyed the day fishing on the Shambles good to see fish of that quality can still be Caught! .   Cheers PAD .