jokes

jack

On a serious note....I know how much my sport costs, and yes, it shocked me when I first got invloved...I thought carp fishing cost enough...trying running a boat as well.

But, and a big but..take one other popular sport..football for instance. A good mate of mine is a devout Chelsea fan. He will travel to all home games, add up the season ticket cost, the petrol travelling etc and it is a far whack...all for 90 minutes. Golf is also in a similar league re. club membership (

I know what you are trying to say Kam - thats one will loose money on a boat - that is fact with almost anything you buy and sell on (houses excluded)

But I still feel that your example is incorrect. The fact that BW has had a new engine comes under the bad luck / maintenance heading IMO and cant be added to the 'real' cost of the boat - but I take your point.

Also the 1k is a little unfair, really it would be a percentage...had we lost 1k on Tara that would have been 33% of the total cost.

What I am getting at is that James and I MADE

Maybe on a car, but boats tend to hold their money very, very well. I am 100% confident that I could sell BW tomorrow for what I paid for her.

Hi Adam,

You are not far wrong. I was given a trade-in figure for Lookfar recently of 2K less than I paid for her four years ago. Mind you, the price of a similarly equipped 165 ex-factory is substantially more than it was four years ago and that's always going to bolster the used market.

Compare that with my Subaru. Only three years old and 50% depreciation weep.gif

Steve

But, and a big but..take one other popular sport..football for instance. A good mate of mine is a devout Chelsea fan. He will travel to all home games, add up the season ticket cost, the petrol travelling etc and it is a far whack...all for 90 minutes.

I have a football season ticket as well as a boat but Bournemouth isn't quite as expensive as Chelsea smile.gif

I have to agree with the fact that boats hold their value very well. The Orkney 520 that was sold recently was around

Do you drive your car like Lookfar?

Must be better at handling hidden sand bars  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Hi Dave,

Nah, I drive like an oldtimer. Maddeningly slow. Car doesn't cope with gravel banks half as well as the boat does. Backing down at Eastney once after a storm there was a big drift of gravel across the slip at the high tide mark. Didn't really think about ground clearance until I was already cutting a Subaru undercarriage-shaped hole through the gravel.

Anyone want to buy a nice Subaru? Absolutely pristine above sill level rolleyes.gif

Steve