Brighton Pollack comp report

niggle

Took a decision to fish this comp a few weeks ago on my mate Terry's quicksilver 640,a dozen of us stayed at the same hotel the night before so a pre comp meal and a few conservative beers with lots of Mickey taking.Most of the guys come from Kent and keep their boats at Newhaven apart from Paul James (littlebrit) who is or was a member of our club.

Early breakfast then down to the boats of which included charters and private boats about 15 boats,the start or off time was 8am where all the boats line up outside the harbour by a yellow marker post.

It is like a boat race where everybody is milling about until a flag is dropped by the control boat.......and we're off.

Most went in various directions to make the best of the 30mile limit,we pushed out to a wreck some 26 miles out in choppy conditions which later flattened off to a sunny afternoon.

As I expected Terry struggled to get us on a decent drift but we picked up 3 pollack and a codling in a hour and a half !He put us over another wreck but that was poor so we steamed to another and started catching the odd small pollack on lures or rather I did 😜

The bottom didn't feel snaggy at all so I went to plan B with a pirk and 2 redgill flyers,first drop

3 pollack to 9lb.2nd drop 2 pollack both double figures which was a great fight and the biggest on our boat all day.

Ended up with 30 odd pollack ,12 of those I didn't catch.

Headed back in for the 4 o'clock back at harbour and the weigh in,my best was 11lb13oz which was somewhere in or around the top 10.The winning fish was 16lb,Paul James done brilliant and come second on a mates Osprey with 15lb1oz on his 10 year year old green red gills 😃

It was a great atmosphere and really great to see friends I haven't seen for a couple of years.i

I was surprised that a pontoon mooring down that way is 1k cheaper than our area!

post-1213-0-95353200-1426684974_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-13245200-1426684999_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-56188500-1426685018_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-41417300-1426685045_thumb.jpg

There may of been more fishing it than I thought.

The £10 entry fee went straight to the RNLI and that amounted to £1600.The £875 of prizes were generously donated by Diawa and the prize money was from a separate £10 optional pool