Problem catching Mackerel

Neal

A few weeks ago catching mackerel was not a problem - for the last couple of weeks have really struggled

Sunday, only managed one with 4 rods trying different depths and different feathers, sabiki's, lures etc.

Tried in-shore, off shore - saw plenty on the sounder! 

I know the water is a bit murky - but not that bad surely!

Anyone else having problems

Neal

Couldn't get out at the weekend, but yes, have struggled to catch more than a few on any trip, in any location this year.

Methinks the factory ship in the Western Approaches is back on station, processing 500 tonnes per day...

Mike

I hear a rumour they are preoccupied on some really tiny plankton stuff ! Could that be part of the problem? Chappy said a few days ago the few he caught were bursting with grey slime

Well went out last week and couldn't get any for live baits even though they were showing on the sounder ..

So after a couple of hours with my arm aching I dropped to the bottom and did very slow lifts and could feel them plucking at the feathers.. So slowed the lift even more and bobs yr uncle started catching em...

After me getting quite a few mike asked how come yr getting em and not me !!! So I told him what I was doing so he tried very slow lifts and bobs yr uncle he started getting em as well....

Maybe lazy mackerel or just coincidence ...

We have been struggling for macs too over the last couple of weeks. We only managed three first thing on Sunday, but left a set of feathers dangling when we were at anchor and managed another ten which kept us in fresh bait. I have also noticed this jelly stuff on the line too and the May water is leaving the line all brown. On the plus side though the Ray fishing is brilliant ;-)

Had A TRIP WEST OF THE BILL YESTERDAY AND IT DID NOT MATTER WHERE YOU PUT YOUR FEATHERS THEY CAME UP FULL. THE WATER DOWN THERE WAS SO CLEAR YOU COULD SEE THE MACKEREL TAKING THE FEATHERS, SO I DEFENTLY THINK IT MUST BE DOWN TO THE COLOUR OF THE WATER OUR END WHY WE ARE NOT GETTING THEM.