No internet connection

Newboy

Wonder if any computer wizards here can help. 

I have a computer running on XP with connection to the web via a Ethernet cable. 2 days ago it stops with no connection(it says it has no or limited conectivity), but 4 other computers (running on win7 or win8, plus other tablets can connect to the net so I know it's not the modem or the connection itself.

I've swapped the cable with a spare one and that makes no difference, I've tried all the other available ports, that seems no difference either(the sky modem has 2 lights on all 4 ports, the top light is amber while the bottom is green whenever I plug in the e-cable). so I think I can safely rule out the cable. 

That leaves either software or the ethernet card itself. 

Tried status, to reestablish connect but it comes back unable to connect. However, every-time I plug in the e-cable, it detects the cable and try to connect but come back unable to.

So before I go and buy a new card, can anyone suggest any probable causes?

Thx in advance,

Kam

Difficult to help without being there. Uninstall the network card from Devices and reboot. It should reinstall on restart and might just work!

It sounds like it isn't getting an up address from the router, if you are using a BBand supplier provided router, they could have made a change - restart that unit too.

Try one of the other pc's with the cable connection, ensure wifi is off.

Difficult to help without being there. Uninstall the network card from Devices and reboot. It should reinstall on restart and might just work!

It sounds like it isn't getting an up address from the router, if you are using a BBand supplier provided router, they could have made a change - restart that unit too.

Try one of the other pc's with the cable connection, ensure wifi is off.

Wouldn't it need the drivers disc? I don't think I still have all the original drivers cd, 

Kam, have you tried Mikes suggestion., that would be my first port of call.
It appears you may have a problem with the

Link here may help :-

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-9657-can-t-connect-to-internet

I would first do the ipconfig command that mike mentioned. Then check you have an IP address allocated ( just type ipconfig )
If no IP address the steps above May help. Have you recently installed anything. Do you have a virus scanner on the pc ?