cabin or cuddy?

Graham Nash

I am about to do a bit more work on my boat and one thing I am considering is removing the back "wall" of my cabin to open it up and make it a stand up cuddy. I find I rarely use the cabin as I get seasick inside, and I don't really like driving while completely enclosed as there are too many blind spots, plus there is lots of wasted lost space in corners etc. Removing the rear wall would enable someone to sit on the drivers seat (which is mounted on a turntable) and fish giving a little more deck space, it would eliminate the lost corners and it would remove the blind spots. 

It would however be exposed to the elements (although I have no doubt Cut n cover could make me a curtain or something)post-1215-0-61607900-1381091647_thumb.jpg? .... so, what is others preferences? 

As a thought have you thought about a sliding patio door?

Being able to see through would help with blind spots and having it open allows fresh air to reduce any sea sickness feeling

When it is cold & wet you can allways close the door to keep warm & dry

I am sure you could pick up a second hand one or similar.

Dave

My brother another friend and I all owned dory, s with cabins

After I removed the bulkhead from mine and made it into a cuddy, so did they.

All three boats were transformed into much better fishing tools, we could duck into the cuddy out of the elements, but still see the rods

This is my thought too Charlie. I rarely use it, I dont need shelter because i'm not that bothered about rain and if its cold then im at home watching telly :-) .... And Rob, as for going commando ...... this thing takes lots of water over the front when shes motoring,.... no thanks, not in this boat :-) 

Not just the water Graham !

Motoring along in a cold wind is awful.

With the cuddy you're protected from it but you can " pop your head up " if you need to.

How will it affect the strength if you cut that wall away ?

It'll probably increase your speed and MPG if you remove it.

Jim

PS   I don't think you like fishing - - - - you just have a need for projects to keep you busy. :D

When I was at Rockley in my open Raider I used to remove them. I presently leave them on board in my yard but the door is generally locked and the dogs are always happy to see strangers in my yard :-)

All this talk about open boats and cuddys      BRRRR :huh:

I think I'll stick with my nice warm cabin thank you

Its got allround visibility sliding doors fore and aft, 4 windscreen wipers front and sides,  a lovely diesel heater for the winter and a sunroof for the summer and I can see my rods from the comfort of my helm seat. :)

I knew there was a good reason to buy it in the first place :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peteg

if i had all that i'd probably feel the same Pete, but I don't  :(  .... and Tony, I have been out winter fishing once in it last year, i doubt i'll do more this year. I'm beomming a bit of a fair weather fisherman i'm afraib  :unsure: