A big thank you from Heroes On The Water

darnsarf

I just wanted to say thank you to Lofty (Steve) and the committee for giving me the opportunity to present Heroes On The Water (HOW) last week at the monthly meeting.  Hopefully the chairman has received the presentation for those that were unable to attend.

The members were very generous and we raised an invaluable £135 at the meeting. That money will be used specifically to fund upcoming sessions for injured military personnel.  Thank you.

A special mention to Mal Thomas who has made a very large and significant personal donation. Mal was as good as his word at the meeting and by return of post I received his cheque. Thank you Mal, it will be put to good use.

If anyone has any questions regarding HOW please don't be shy. Probably best on this thread or by email heroesonthewateruk@gmail.com

Thank you.

Paul Fennell

Founder & Trustee

Just as a follow up to the meeting I am happy to confirm that our first guest session will be held on 16th of August for a double amputee and his wife. It is the first time they have done anything together outdoors since he received his injuries.

We only formed 16 weeks ago and had nothing, we really appreciate the support that we have received.  We are now able to offer services to up to 6 veterans, including kayaks, tackle and the all important safety gear.

We have also received permission from the South West Lakes Trust to use their waters and are currently organising a session for injured marines down in Cornwall.

Thanks again for your continued and vital support.  Join us on Facebook if you are that way inclined.  If not I will post major developments here.

https://www.facebook.com/HeroesOnTheWaterUk

• 2 weeks later...

We held our first session on Friday.

A big thank you to Luke and Sophie for joining us .......they even caught some fish. We all had a great time.

Here is Luke's story as featured in the Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/when-the-ied-exploded-i-shouted-anyone-hurt-153496

Thank you for the support you have shown it is making a difference....

Here are a few photos from last Fridays first session.

LukeampSophieGroupPic_zps2c18464f.jpg

Lukebeingcoached_zps1150476a.jpg

LukesPike_zpsa543ea54.jpg

Thanks for your donations on the night they really do make a difference.

Have now purchased the VW Campervan and are planning our next sessions in Cornwall and the Norfolk Broads so things are now gathering pace. Plus Luke and Sophie are looking to return for another session with a long term view to go Tope fishing next year.  Training course now being drawn up.

Quote of the day:

"... as soon as I took off from the waters edge I forgot why I was so stressed." (Luke)

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks again to Mal Thomas for his donation from his recent voucher auction.

Quick update the registration process is grinding on and we now at least have a Charity Comission Registration Application Number. As the winter approaches Dry Suits have become our number one priority.

Had a great session last week with injured Marine Martin Payne at Upper Tamar Lake. He caught his first ever fish. Can you remember that moment. The small Roach was one of 19 fish but that fish will live with him forever.

Unfortunately, cant seem to upload the photo from the Tablet but the smile is almost as big as the fish.

Thanks again.

Read about Mitch and the crews epic Scottish fundraising paddle..........

http://www.heroesonthewater-uk.org/blog

If you are looking to hold a sponsored fundraiser please consider HOW. Being a small charity we are able to personally support all our fundraisers and every pound makes a very definate difference.... Mitch's efforts will help us buy the kayak roof carrying system and cover the costs of many sessions.

The next 2 of which are on the 24th Oct and 5th Nov.

I am also pleased to say the first HOW "team" will fish the Poole Kayak Flounder meet on 7th December. If you are on the water, look out for any kayak with a HOW sticker and come say hello.

Read about Mitch and the crews epic Scottish fundraising paddle..........

http://www.heroesonthewater-uk.org/blog

If you are looking to hold a sponsored fundraiser please consider HOW. Being a small charity we are able to personally support all our fundraisers and every pound makes a very definate difference.... Mitch's efforts will help us buy the kayak roof carrying system and cover the costs of many sessions.

The next 2 of which are on the 24th Oct and 5th Nov.

I am also pleased to say the first HOW "team" will fish the Poole Kayak Flounder meet on 7th December. If you are on the water, look out for any kayak with a HOW sticker and come say hello.

Will you launch from Lake Pier Paul ?

I'll try to get down.

Jim

Chris that's appreciated and you are very welcome but I must admit I am only looking to get them to paddle from Lake Pier to Rockley.  This will be the first outing on the sea so need to break them in gently, the harbour is perfect for this and should see plenty of HOW activity next year as we bring more guys from Freshwater to Salt.

Here is our first pathway success from yesterday.

We had another session with injured Marine Martin Payne. Got very competitive, Marines v Army with the Army winning 23 to 21 fish. Martin is progressing very well. He is able to rig his own kayak and fishing gear.

Best of all despite pelvic and lower back blast injuries he mastered the pain and a bit of coaching carried out a perfect self rescue. He will now take to the sea and be a our first HOW Team member. His first outing will be Poole Flounder Meet in December. We hope to enter HOW teams into as many future comps as possible including PBSBAC kayak comps.

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday.

20131024_132740_zpsd6104f9e.jpg

20131024_155500_zps46a4da9f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On Tuesday HOW returned to Hawley Lake, a closed fishery renowned for Pike, Perch. Its also the Royal Engineers training lake and as an ex-Sapper it was re-assuring to hear the same old bridge building commands being used as I was taught in the 80s.

Our 2 guests, one a double amputee, mastered the high wind and rain without a problem and lure fished hard.  They blasted the water with everything from Mepps and soft plastics to trolling with Rapalas and crank baits. Not even the Big S got a sniff.

The reason, probably a new fishing excuse, was that the RE were holding a Battlefield Simulations Day on the neighbouring Demolitions Range. Now I know from personal experience there is nothing a Sapper likes more than to blow something up, the bigger the better.  Well they excelled themselves.  They realistically simulated everything from IEDs and Mortars to air strafing attacks, all at full volume.  Well done them. Killed the fishing though, you could feel the water shake underneath you and the fish just disappeared.  Still as one guest said, "its just great to be out on the water"

Had a problem getting one guest off the water, he was desperate to catch a fish.

20131105_155221_zps41cddcc1.jpg

First time out for both van and trailer, worked well.

20131105_164404_zps2a315d1b.jpg

We have another fresh session booked but also hope to hold our first sea session shortly.