E-tec

jay kay

Hi Jon,

Yes I had an E-Tec 75. Exactly the same physical lump as the 90 but the computer told it that it was a 75.

The plastic on the early ones used to crack a bit but that's been sorted I believe.            I had a couple of bits where the paint bubbled but I sorted that.

I found it to be a very good engine. It never played up, was brilliant on fuel and cost about £300 every 3 years for servicing.

The guy that bought Small Fry sent me a Christmas card to say how pleased he was with both boat and engine. ( He's an ex AA serviceman ) so he would pick up on any faults I would have thought !

E-Tecs are not noisey or smelly and run on tick-over quite happily as the oil usage is controlled by the computer.

Thought I would try the Honda this time ( which is also a lovely engine ) but servicing  frequency and costs have made me wonder if I should have stayed with the E-Tec.

My view of the E-Tec ? - - - - - -Nothing wrong with it at all ( well no more than any other outboard )

Hope I have been of some help.

Jim

I was recently shown a 2005 ETEC which was writtten off due to corrosion between the power head and the drive leg.

The reason for the write off was that etecs do not have wear plates between the power head and drive leg (like Mariners and Mercury's and Yamaha) which can be easily replaced when corroded.

The etec required a new power head £5600!

The guys that had stripped the engine said that they would not recommed the Etec range due to what seem to be cost saving design and build issues.

Sorry to be a bit negative about them but I saw what I saw!! :mellow:

I am not sure how 'marinised' the ETec is, being an American thing, they often design stuff for fresh water boating. Such as SmartTabs etc (I have had 2 positions corrode on the tabs as they aren't stainless).

Hence you see Mariner-Mercury engines here, and the equivalent is a Mercury-SaltWater in the US.

Like anything, there will be good ones and bad ones. PJ's has done a shed load of hours, and AJ had 700 hours on his Yam without it missing a beat I think.

R

Well pleased with mine. The decals though have started peeling off.

Mine has been sitting on the drive for best part of 6 months, hopefully will be reporting that it starts first time after such a long lay off ( it did last time ).

I had a leaking gasket between the lower leg and the powerhead, this was replaced under warranty ( I didn't even know there was a problem with it until I had it serviced, )

The worst thing that has happened was the clips on the cover broke so got these replaced under warranty.

I would definitely get another one.and PJ forgets to mention that he bought his second hand.:)

My engine may be smaller than what you are looking at, but I chose the Etec 25 2 years ago as a replacement for my old Yam 2 stroke.

It has beeen great, although despite the long service interval (300 hrs) I had mine checked the first year and serviced this spring at around 150 hrs and a few bits changed, just to be on the safe side. Mudeford shallow water "mud" will contribute to wear if you are based around there.

It starts first time every time, even after winter, uses little fuel and oil, and is much quieter than the old 2 stroke.

No complaints from me.

Check out where you would have it serviced though, as support in marine services is overall poor in my experience.

Clive

"The worst thing that has happened was the clips on the cover broke so got these replaced under warranty."

Surely the leak between powerhead and gasket was the worse?!?

My Yam 4 stroke is 10 yrs old this year, all stickers and decals present and correct, it's all about the small things!!!!!!

Rob