nu canoe demonstration at Baiter Slipway tomorrow around 12ish.

Graham Nash

I posted on here a few weeks ago about a new "stable kayak". Well, i'm interested in one so have the guy bringing one to baiter tomorrow around mid day for me to have a look and see just how stable it really is. It also has a transom for an engine!!!

The puritan yakkers  don't seem to like them (although they've never seen one in the flesh) so maybe you should have a look and see?? 

The weather looks ok.

Posted also on AA

Today my PBSBAC chum, Graham, who normally goes to sea in a fishing boat had arranged for Nucanoe to meet him for a demo at Baitor slipway . Graham has owned various fishing kayaks including prowler 13 but has never got on with them as he often fell out . He is in the market for the most stable kayak he can get to go fair weather fishing in the harbour and the bay. He saw nucanoe on the tinterweb and liked what he saw so arranged the demo.He was very aware of the thread controversy between the importers and members of Anglers Afloat regarding claims and counter claims, but also aware that the majority of members had not seen one in the flesh.He asked me to go and check it out and Barto joined us all to give it a good once over.

We met on the slip and my first impressions were as I expected. Not for me. That's not to say it isn't an extremely well made kayak. It is just very different to what many sea anglers want from a kayak. What I did keep in mind was the potential buyer wants a very stable kayak that he isn't going to tip over.In this respect the kayak fits the bill as on the relatively calm waters of Poole harbour it will be a very stable and roomy fishing platform. I'm not going to give a full review as im not in a position to do so, but can report on the quality that on first appearance looks good. The guys importing were straight down to earth chaps and took on board my comments about surf launches and landings with the high seating position. We all tended to favour the lower style of seating shown at the rear. These are all interchangeable . What I did think was what a great summer yak to take young kids out in as with the rear seat out there was bags of room for larks.

On the whole I think Graham liked it and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes for it .

Here's some pics in the awful cold rain

3EC1DB5B-9B40-422F-9671-55C3E5AF5F2E-1592-0000021C30078C43.jpg

FE42A5A5-9A0C-4E02-8209-94CA4F1AB658-1592-0000021C4005F037.jpg

B9114EC9-5069-4DAE-A7F5-BB1A8EAD1AEA-1592-0000021C46677FA8.jpg

8E8C9FCB-C781-4E9C-BD05-17AC9CE22530-1592-0000021C4E1B75B6.jpg

BEBB9453-2283-4982-9D4E-3C5EA34E9081-1592-0000021C53A40DD4.jpg

1F7B6E7B-3C37-4321-A988-2CEC3302635D-1592-0000021C581F6082.jpg

B9FC4C27-8860-4207-8A8F-D38EA4594B08-1592-0000021C6870B7D0.jpg

That paddle is 2.75 long.

well i was out on a heavy one last night and had family down today so i didnt get the time to play that I had hoped. BUT I did play :-) 

Early afternoon i removed my ladders from the top of my van and thought i'd put my new toy up there ........ yeah right!!! I struggled, swore a little, struggled some more and swore MUCH more before deciding just to drag it down to the slipway by hand (only a few hundred yards anyway). So dressed like a power ranger in my dry suit and buoyancy aid I pulled her to the old quay. Once there I realised it was much windier than I had thought and the tide was running quite hard. Not to be beaten I  put her in the water and had a little go. 

Against the wind and tide i made slow headway, but I was very very pleased with the tracking and the amazing stability. I paddled from the old quay (by the fishing boats) to Baiter and had a little rest when there. I then turned round and returned to where I had left from, the return with tide and wind took me less than a quarter of the time and was very relaxed. Lesson learned is that I will need to time my trips to coincide with tides.

Once back home I took about half an hour to get my dry suit off! Then I looked at how I could get her onto the top of my van. An hour or so later with lots of attempts I was managing it quite easily. Theres a technique that makes it quite easy and just needed some practice. 

Unfortunately work will dictate when i can try again but i think that todays little jaunt was quite successful in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

well i decided to head out today because the sun was shining and the wind wasnt as bitter as it has been.

006_zpscd55f4a2.jpg

got to Baiter mid afternoon and headed out towards Brownsea.

013_zps28fdd4a8.jpg

Reached Brownsea fairly quickly and tied up to the cockles barge. 

Was back ashore after about 3 hours, frozen to the bone but pleased to not having fallen in :-)

Roll on the summer!

• 2 weeks later...

Taken from another forum about the nucanoe 

see this post from Chris Ogborne: fly.hardyfishing.com/en…..gborne.php

Hopefully Chris needs no introduction but maybe for the US guys… he was UK fly fishing champion (twice), European champ, captained the UK fly fishing team for nearly 20 years. Is now a consultant to one of the biggest fly fishing manufactures in the world, Hardy & Greys. He is now a very successful fly fishing author and also runs a fly fishing business in Cornwall, UK including kayak fly fishing trips for bass on the Cornish coast. He has a very elite list of cliental and has guided for the rich & famous. He is now solely using the NuCanoe Frontier for all his kayak fishing adventures and guiding services – this is testament to the unique characteristics of these fabulous NuCanoe craft. He has coined our phase “The definitive fishing kayak!”

well .... today I took my new frontier and suzuki 2.5hp motor for a little trial run ...... AMAZING!!!!!

I bought an extendable tiller extension so i could sit (or stand) mid boat but still operate and steer. At first I had the tiller extended so it came to my side, but I found it difficult to steer (as my body was in the way) so i shortened it so that it reached the back of the seat. This was perfect and enabled me to throttle and steer with ease. My first trial I ran it up to about half revs, but noticed the back of the boat was filling with water through the scuppers. Throttling back sorted this out but I ran back to the shore and drained the water out before putting the scupper plugs in. I tried again with the plugs in and this was MUCH better :-).

I kept the seat slightly rear of centre so that I could easily reach back and push the engine kill switch and reach the gear selector but I think next time i'll move the seat forward slightly, to try to keep the front end down at speed.

I was out for 6 hours, running up and down the harbour at what I would guess to be about 5 or 6 mph then trolling at just above tick-over at slightly quicker than I can paddle. I went up and down the channel then out to the end of the training bank, stopping at shell bay to check my fuel on the way back. My fuel tank holds 1.1 litres and i filled it before i started and needed to fill it again after about 5 hours (mainly at less than a quarter revs). I used about 1.5 litres all told today (less than half a gallon!!).

AMAZING!!

at just above tickover

001_zpsf8e27ef8.jpg

Good to see you are getting out in it, Graham. When are we going to see the catch photos ?

when i catch something ..... i went out today for about 5 minutes ...... IT WAS BLOODY FREEZING!!!!