orkney 440 or pilot 4.

fred64

Looking at getting another boat within the next few weeks. I've previously owned orkneys and a wilson flyer14'. Towing car is a Honda jazz hence limited towing weight. I live in lymington and launch here and mudeford. Any recommendations for a smallish light boat for fishing south of the needles in good weather. Have been looking at the orkney440 and the pilot4. Any advice or opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance,Brian.

Hi Fred,

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I'm sure that Westport Marine have a special deal on at the moment n Pilot 4 hulls.

The guy that designed and builds them is very helpful. ( Charles Broughton ).

They sell them at Poole Marine Services in Poole.

I'm not sure when I'll be out in mine again, but you're welcom to come out for a spin.

I chose this boat after selling my Warrior 165 because it was a bit too heavy for me on my own.

I can push this one about easily, I don't need a braked trailer and I tow it with a Hyundai I30.

Give me a call if you fancy a " butchers ".

My phone number is in the PM wink.gif

Jim

I can recommend the Terhi range (previously imported by Yamaha uk), Finnish made and not heavy old glass fibre, vacuum formed abs! (No need to be sensitive to scrapes and beaching it).

6020c is nice for fishing, unless your sensitive and require a cabin/permanent cuddy!

Rob

You could always have a look at my web site for reviews

http://www.fishing-boats.info

Jim,

When you have had Tiddler a bit longer I would love a report from you on how you find your new boat.

Dave

cool.gif

I find it at the bottom of our drive, covered in plant pots ! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

You'll have to come out with me Dave. You can do a report yourself.

You know I'm no good with words -- - - - well maybe cakes or lager laugh.gif

Jim

Rob i short listed the 6020 being light and not needing a big engine, but i want a solid cuddy, getting soft. I,ve spoken to Jim who has given me a lot to think about, mainly my cars max towing weight of 450kg unbraked or 800kg braked, very borderline. Any advice on telling her indoors we need a bigger car?

Rob i short listed the 6020 being light and not needing a big engine, but i want a solid cuddy, getting soft. I,ve spoken to Jim who has given me a lot to think about, mainly my cars max towing weight of 450kg unbraked or 800kg braked, very borderline. Any advice on telling her indoors we need a bigger car?

Are you any good at Ducking ? ? or if you can't Duck - - - - -RUN biggrin.gif

Jim

Well a WP4 is 300kgs and with engine and a little kit it will be 400.

A trailer will be over 130kgs, braked more like 175kgs.

So which ever option you go for, braked will be your only option.

My boat is 300kgs empty, with engine (90kgs) and 2 anchors, chain, 150m rope, battery, 37 litres of fuel, etc and 180kg trailer it was (830kg) and over the 750kg unbraked legal towing limit. I have upgraded the trailer to braked and that has added a few 10's of kilos.

So please bare in mind how much a "light boat" can weigh with your gear in it!

(The trailer manufacturer didn't know how much the trailer weighed and it was 30kg more than they expected!)

Rob

Thanks for info Rob, it's looking like an unbraked trailer is out of the running,unless i went for my 2nd choice an orkney 440, boat weight about 200kg with engine trailer and gear approaching max unbraked towing weight. I've got a lot to think about now and thanks again for info, i don't want to make an expensive mistake.

You could always have a look at my web site for reviews

http://www.fishing-boats.info

Jim,

When you have had Tiddler a bit longer I would love a report from you on how you find your new boat.

Dave

cool.gif

I find it at the bottom of our drive, covered in plant pots ! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

You'll have to come out with me Dave. You can do a report yourself.

You know I'm no good with words -- - - - well maybe cakes or lager laugh.gif

Jim

I would be more than happy to come out with you and play. rolleyes.gif

Maybe you can show me some of your "secret" marks!

Dave

cool.gif

You can carry your kit in the car it then doesn't then count in the trailer/boat combo weight

I am not sure that is correct Martin

I am sure in the past it was confirmed that fully ladening the car while towing, just to minimise the trailer weight would get you into trouble with the feds

You can carry your kit in the car it then doesn't then count in the trailer/boat combo weight

I am sure in the past it was confirmed that fully ladening the car while towing, just to minimise the trailer weight would get you into trouble with the feds

Im with Martin on this one.

Im sure that so long as you dont over load the car you can place some of the trailer weight into the car, thus balancing out the distribution and increasing the car/trailer weight ratio.

(I could be completely wrong tho) blink.gif

Your probably correct for overall train weight but to keep a rig (trailer/boat) below the weight necessary for trailer brakes I think you'll find it correct however best to check the relevant laws and not rely on us on the forum which is probably what Diver Dave posted cool.gif

Martin