orkney 440 or pilot 4.

fred64

I dont want to be a party pooper ! but:-

The boat weighs 290Kg

The trailer weighs 135kg

The engine weighs iro 100Kg

Which all adds up to 525Kg

Which is fine for an unbraked trailer combo and even allows for 175Kg MAX of extras in the boat on the trailer.

BUT the Max unbraked towing weight for your car is 535Kg although Honda state it's only 450Kg

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/jazz/fullspecification/

The Max gross unbraked trailer weight is 750Kg or 50% of towing vehicle kerb weight which ever is less.

HTH

Dave

Edited by diverdave

Looking on the vosa site my car weights 1093kgs, so with an unbreaked trailer i can tow 546kgs and any weight in the car doesn't get added onto the trailer weight. I think i've read it right and if so im still in the running for a pilot4. Desperation, rosetinted glasses and clutching at straws spring to mind but i think i could be borderline legal.

The weight you can tow unbraked is 750kgs, 50% of min kerb weight of car or manufacturers specification for unbraked. (We nearly bought a Honda CRV 4x4 but it's unbraked limit is only 500kgs!!! Even though it weighs best part of 1800kgs!).

Check the plate on your car rather than websites for information!

Rob

Thanks Rob, the max car and trailerweight is 2310kgs.

Car kerb weight=1093kgs.

car loaded max=1510kgs.

This leaves 800kgs for a braked trailer, hence 546kgs should be the legal unbraked max.

I live less than 2 miles from the lymington ramp and about 9 from mudeford, no hills to worry about.

The Honda 450kgs max includes 12% hills.

I'm talking myself into this.

Got this Today from Charles Broughton, Designer and Builder of the Pilot boats.

It's much the same as DiverDave's link.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Jim,

Looks like you have Tiddler balanced just right, great photo!

With regards to your discussion on maximum towing weights for trailers see the following link:

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/identification_plates.aspx

This states that for unbraked trailers - max. 750kg gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less. Kerb weight is the car weight including fuel, oil, etc. and can include the driver within the EU. So check the kerb weight of the tow vehicle and half it and then check the manufacturers maximum stated unbraked towing weight and use the lowest value as maximum unbraked towing weight.

The Indespension trailer for the Pilot4 weighs in at 135kg, add to this the boat only mass of 290kg, then add engine, fuel, anchor, battery, etc. to give your final towing weight.

Also check the following link for lots more information on trailers and towing:

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/

Hope this helps,

Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------

Jim wink.gif

So - - - - smaller boat, -- -  -bigger car,- - - - - more dosh - - - - -  -back to running and ducking then !

Welcome to the wonderful world of boat owning ( or shovelling light into a dark corner )  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Jim

Good news, maybe ?

Bearing in mind the title of this thread I've just done some research on the Orkney 440.

Boat weight 200Kg, 90Kg less than the Pilot !

Max engine 20hp so I've assumed Honda BF20 at 50Kg a saving of 50Kg !

Assuming the same trailer or similar at 135Kg.

Giving a total of 385Kg

Which will allow for 65Kg of fuel, batteries, gear etc in the boat before you hit your cars 450Kg Max towing weight.

Hope that corner is getting a bit brighter,

Dave

Thanks Dave, i think if i'm sensible the orkney 440 or maybe the nordic6020 with a folding cuddy could be o.k. for the ledge or south of the needles in good weather.

Both are light and seaworthy from what i've read, any views on either would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave, i think if i'm sensible the orkney 440 or maybe the nordic6020 with a folding cuddy  could be o.k. for the ledge or south of the needles in good weather.

Both are light and seaworthy from what i've read, any views on either would be appreciated.

I think you need to research GOOD WEATHER !

AND speak to the RNLI !!

The Nordic 6020c is the same hull as my Terhi, and I go south of the needles, fish the Bridge single handed And the ledge regularly.

Take it to Dartmouth (on trailer) and fish the skerries and start point light house.

Both those trips are 6 to 7 n miles.

I have been from holes bay to St. Albans, about 14n miles.

Weather has been very snotty on some of these trips and the Terhi range are great. Enough power to push on in some (small) snotty sea, or surf a big sea! Min 25hp I would say required. Or, 30knts on the flat stuff. They have a really high freeboard and go through anything, not even worrying about a wave over the bow (ask Charlie A, he has made the most of his flotation suit a few times onboard). Self bailing deck soon takes care of it.

The security of a positivly buoyant hull (abs/ foam sandwich) has advantages if you get in to trouble and gives confidence!

I have left my boat on a mooring with the bung out, when there was heavy rain over night, no problem, the water only floods in 4" deep and that is it!!!

Pop round and take a look of you want (oh err!).

Rob

There is a folding cuddy as an option - i have one on mine and AJ on his open Orkney.

I haven't used mine for a couple of years - only when anchoured and very windy (not often). For drifting for bass, flatties ect, to be able to walk around the craft unrestricted - is great and makes it a much much bigger boat!!!

• 6 months later...

Bloody Hell - don't listen to me, go with the crowd, no one else listens!

Seriously, congratulations, that is a great boating package. More than capable for inshore fishing and slightly offshore. 

Like any boating, it is all about matching the conditions and tides and technique\method and forecast and crew to the boat at the time.

Last Friday I headed out with CharlieA as crew.

Conditions - I knew it wasn't going to be great sea conditions initially as it was blowing some what (and wind against tide)!

Tides - I knew it was changing just after 20:30 and that it woudl flatten off as it became more wind with tide

Technique\method - I never would have anchoured in that! So drift fishing allows you to fishing more unconfortable conditions.

Forecast - looked stable - picking up a little nearer 23:00 (and it really did, but we were just on the trailer by that time)

Crew - confident \ experienced crew (with sea-legs) who know the boat and what to do \ not to do makes it so much easier (yes mild compliment to Charlie A). 

We were the only boat fishing and that did surprise me but we had one good bass.

Thanks,

Rob