WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!

Adam F

Well, what can I say?....it doesnt happen very often, but when it does its one of those days that you remember for ages!!!

Bob and I were both fed up with hearing James hauling, so with a superb forecast we both booked a day off and planned a trip today.

Up at 4.30am, it was -5c outside, and pitch black - must be mad!!! I met bob at the slip at 6am, and we launched BW into a mirror like sea - 20 mins later and we are anchored S of the Needles.....ready for the flood tide at 8.00am

The whiting were evident from the start, all between 1lb and 2lb! biggrin.gif At about 9.00am Im sitting in the cabin cooking bacon for brecky when my triple squid rod slowly pulls over - rush out to it, and decent fish nods for the bottom - COD!!! we both shout. After a fantastic fight in a reasonable tide this MASSIVE shape appears!!! Bob struggled to get the whole fish in the net - and she went 31lb 12oz on the boat!!! WHAT A BEAST!!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

20 mins later and 'no cod fuller' starts to change his name! - a take that almost snapped the rod had him pulling in a beauty at just over 14lb!!!! AND he kissed me!!! (Mark B - I sympathise!!) Just as bob hools this cod, my rods off again and a 33lb Eel is the culprit!!

Another 20 mins and Bob is in again!!!! This time a lovely clean 7lb fish!!

About an hour later and Im off again - this time a lovely 13lber!!! WE ARE IN HEAVEN!!!!

Bob finishes with a superb 9lb Pollock - at to this lot over 20 whiting to 2lb and a 3lb Spotted ray and we had a cracking day - RED LETTER!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Had the biggie officially weighed at Loni's in Xchurch at 31lb dead - Chris Clarke turned up to do photos for the Echo etc....

Just finished filleting the beasts - had 10 plates of fish!!!!

Photos to follow......

Well done those men, that was truly an awesome days fishing!!!!! biggrin.gif

all that training ive been giveing you adam has paid off wink.gifcool.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Youve put in the hours and been rewarded and whata fish, a 31lb cod thats a hell of a fish, well done that man biggrin.gif and new pb's all round for you guys, cant wait to see the photos.

I better get out there and try and catch a bigger one! biggrin.gif

Tight lines

James

Yep, it was a cracking day.

Personally, I have never had the pleasure to see a Cod over 30lb, so when this one hit the surface like a breaching Polaris sub, I was a bit taken back. "Oh, sh*t", I thought, "this net ain't gunna be bit enough"..."please don't let me mess it up like I did with Mark's conger".

But after a bit of a struggle we managed to squeese it into the net and haul it aboard.

We were in awe of the beast and, almost in unison, we both said she needs to go back. So all credit to Adam, he did attempt to let her go, and after a minute or so holding her by the side of the boat, she gave a big gulp and dived to the bottom...only to surface again 5 secs later. We watched for a while but she obviously wasn't going to survive, so we dropped back on the anchor and picked her up again.

Oh well, at least she might win Adam the GPS/FF Cod competition in the mag.

Had a bit of a laugh later...I was hauling up something quite weighty which I initially thought was a cod, but about half way up it started to fight very differently. It was actually swimming up towards me and under the boat. The culpret soon appeared from under the transome...it was a small Pout. "No way!", I said, and then from further under the boat Adam spotted the real culpret...the 8lb 12oz Pollack!!! That was a real surprise. A very nice fish, but long and thin. In top condition it would've hit double figures.

Anyway, a fantastic day, and congratulations again Adam on catching that beast. wink.gif

Nice report guys biggrin.gif

That explains the empty seats last night then, and the various rumours heard today on the forum.

What a great Day you must have had out there today, as James said you put in the effort and Rod hours and you get a result.

Well done both

I will look forward to the photo's and report forms.

A great start for the December Fish, it will have to be a very very good fish to beat that one.

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Excellent report Adam. Is the PC working now ?

I was really impressed that you tried to return the big cod, I didn't realise until now that it was the big 31lb one you tried to return.

I must get some netting for the landing net now as I am not so sure my current net would hold such a beast.

Can't wait to see the photos.

Adam/Bob

What can I say other than well done to both of you wink.gif A cracking days fishing by any standards. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together cool.gif . I've yet to catch a 30lb plus cod, and havent had a plan come together for a wee while now, I must look at changing that tongue.gif

After Bobs phone call I was seriously tempted to launch Maverick blink.gif wish I had now sad.gif

Good luck with fish of the month and bfm adam

Martin

Well done Adam and Bob; glad someone had a great day's fishing to inspire us all to greater efforts (or time on water!).

I am sure that many will now start making some 'extra strong' traces in anticipation - and even consign some older ones to the waste (suitable processed).

Having spent 5 hours (on top of the 2+ each way in the car) pulling the engine apart on Saturday morning, without a breathe of wind anywhere, I sure need some motivation.... sad.gif

well...........

(1) we have been loosing a bit of atf from the power steering but had found a tiny weep on the pulley - assumption (still believed valid) is that the seal needs replacing. Job for March.

(2) we noticed that (1) above was loosing fluid quicker last month

(3) noticed a little bit of oil/fuel in the exhaust at the time of the fuel block/full system bleed

anyhow turns out I have a power steering fluid cooler hidden in the bowels of the installation where raw water cools the atf before heading out via the elbow/exhaust...........and it's basically 'failed'; on an engine less than 3 years old when it happened.

unless anyone knows a genius on radiator thingys, or Barrus take pity, what looks like a smartie tube in a bog roll tube is going to cost me the price of some boats!

I really really am glad people have been abloe to get out and fish - my turn will come; and I felt a little guilty sitting comfortably last Sunday watching some 'bob about' a bit............ rolleyes.gif