37 knots in thick fog !!!

diverdave

I have only been out twice in fog, the first without radar and i didnt like it at all and travelled at about 3 or 4 knots, the second time was with radar and i still didnt like it but upped to about 8 knots while my mate was hanging over the side to see and i was fixed to my radar screen.

Obviously depending on the conditions, but anyone doing 37 knots in thick fog is IMHO criminally negligent.

I am amazed that the equipment on te Condor does not have a collison alert function!

The Captain will be luckly to get away with manslaughter, as this if life-endangerment in my eyes.

After OUZO you would hope these ferry "drivers" would be a bit more vigilant, well we can all hope!

Rob

Charlie is spot on, main precaution--lookout on the bow, & SLOW DOWN, at 37kn no collision alert function or radar etc will help if you are not practising basic seamanship and paying attention. Charlie makes a very valid point about lessons being learnt but they where not after Titanic, the Andre Doria, and hundreds of others and a very high percentage occuring in the English channel. Derek, unsure.gifunsure.gif

Thick fog and 37knots has got to be close to lunacy !!!

Extra vigilance and more look-outs and drop speed should have been min requirements .....[ listen to me in hindsight ..lol ] !!

Surely the fishing boat should have been firing off a fog horn and putting a decklight skyward or something too so maybe a look-out on the bow would have spotted it ??

With what seems like little or no precautions taken ... skipper is in for a slap.... and some I guess !!

Scary .... !!

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Wasnt it a fair size fishing boat tho Dave? Surely they felt safe in the assumption that anything else out there would either be looking at their radar (in which case they would see them) or anything without radar would be going slow.

remember that if the fishing boat had his radar set at 5 mile range, the ferry would not have shown on his radar until about 7 or 8 minutes before impact. Not much time to lift the anchor and get out of it's way, even if they saw it immediately it came on their screen.