Pond Builder

Paul D

Hi Paul

i have got a pond above ground built of brick before i put the liner in i covered the inside with foam sheets and the filter needs to be a pressurised unit if below ground line hole with sand then put in liner pump will then feed gravity filter if fish are true koi don't have plants as they will knock them over and make quite a mess

good luck

graham

Graham,

Thanks for the reply.

I am planning a raised pond partly below ground - bottom drain and a gravity fed filter.

Pondering ( excuse pun ) as to whether to get block built or get a liner and build up using railway sleepers ( prob be sleepers if doing myself )

or if to get whole job done by someone else.

Filtration already worked out ( thinking along lines of gravity fed Nexus unit )

Size circa 2500 gallons. Depth circa 4 ft

I am getting a quote but suspect may be too expensive = so looking at DIY options + getting hole dug and concrete in base.

Paul

i have gone for the pressurised unit so i can hide this behind the end of the pond other wise the filter has to be on show above the pond so mine pumps out over the end wall to filter whitch also has a light to help cleaning and back to a pot on the side so no filter in eye line and i can back wash this once a month for cleaning

graham

Edited by gjb

Not sure I agree with your last post Jim (apart from the wallet bit)

I built a small pond, then increased it, and again and again till it ended up being a 6000 gal pond (more like a swimming pool). Bought some 3 inch Koi from Sway Lakes and by the time I moved about 9 years later there were a couple of them well over 24" long. They used to come to the side of the pond and eat from my hands too.

I built a smaller (but deeper) tank when I moved but alas my babies didnt survive for long sad.gif

Fantastic, relaxing & rewarding hobby once you get it right. Bul very frustrating, expensive and saddening when you dont.

Thanks Trevor - I will sound him out. I did get plenty of useful information from pirky ( Dave ) as well.

I am not convinced a pond will be less pleasure - I figure I will have something to keep me occupied when it is too windy to take the boat out - which nowdays is most weekends smile.gif

Hi Paul

Before you go headlong into building a koi pond I would advise you to come along to a couple of our meetings of Dorset Koi Keepers Society.

We have a great bunch of friendly and experienced koi keepers who are more than willing to impart their knowledge, much like our own PBSBAC.

We meet once a month on Sunday afternoon and are currently holding our meetings in members gardens. The next meeting will be on Sunday 3 July at my friend Rita's In Bransgore Christchurch, also a member of PBSBAC.

You and your lady would be more than welcome to join us and I would be happy to introduce you. refreshments will be served throughout the afternoon which commences at 2.00pm until around 5.00pm

You may also see a familiar face.

You can contact me via e-mail or Tel. (mornings) 01425 479096

Regards Alan

Paul,

Ive kept koi for over 20 years and they are a very satisfying fish to keep. I am presently collapsing my pond as I feel that they deserve more time than I have been able to give them over the last couple of years.

I've got a formal (above ground)pond of 2500 gallons including the filters. I have kept mainly Japanese koi that I used to import with a friend but now only have 6 left after selling the other 25 or so that I used to have. One of them, a matsuba was 26lbs in weight when I sold it last summer.

As a result of collapsing my pond, when I have managed to find a home for the remaining 6 fish, I will have some equipment at very reasonable rates that may be of some use to you, filters, pumps, UV's etc.

Personally, I would recommend that you cast a concrete base and then block build up out of the ground and above ground level add an outside "skin" of brickwork. This can then be rendered and then painted with a fibreglass type paint. The gravity filter can either be fed by a bottom drain or by a 4" pipe extending to the bottom, if you have a slight slope on the bottom of the pond this would serve your purpose without the hassle of a bottom drain.

My pond built in this way just required hoovering fornightly (through the warmer months) to keep the water crystal clear. If you do need any advice at all feel free to give me a ring and I'll help in any way I can.

Al

As a post script, I have 6 koi for sale all between 12 and 18 inches, a sanke, a kohaku, an ochiba, a goshiki, a doitsu goshiki and one non descript fish that I have had for 20 years. that all need a good home! Not looking for a fortune, about 50 quid each or so.

Al,

The description of the pond is exactly the sort of thing I am starting to come around to realising that I need ! ( was originally thin king sleeper etc. but having read up I am changing my mind and going down the bottom drain - block build - render - waterproof paint route.

I will give you a call when I am back from London and yes, I may be interested in some of your eqpt for sale ( although have a Nexus filter in mind ).

cheers Paul

PS: Obviously, will be some time before I start filling pond with fish - dont want to rush putting fish in.