48hr Comp - Alderney & Cherbourg

Adam F

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have booked the whole week off to give me as many options as poss to get to poole, ran the trip from chichester to home yesterday, a joy topped by a 3lb bream. tidied and cleaned her up today, get some jobs done over the next few days then hope to get her down ready for the big A. nice to see the forecast for this week because it must calm down after it , musnt it?

We are looking to go early Friday 10th and Back late Sunday12th.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Same here for us. I have crew now, Paul Frey is coming along on this one. Accommodation also sorted, we are back with Mark @ AA again.

Ill need to check i can have the dates off work, hapily sleep in my tent again! Just need to persuade dad to pay for fuel(thinking staying in alderney rather than go east at most to cherbour would be a massive journey home otherwise)

Does depend on good weather- we've proved its safe in a 4/5 but its not much fun!

Looks like there will be plenty over the other side for the 48hr comp.

Maybe in several differnent places, but it all puts a little spice in the mix.

Assuming we have the blistering hot weather and still winds that we usually have blink.gif , I believe our plans are to do a typical Alderney run, leaving Poole early on Thursday, Banks on Thursday pm, Friday and Saturday with a run home over the wrecks on Sunday.

Possibly some fun inshore stuff thrown in for good measure at favourable states of tide.

Not quite sure why Graham has to stock up on Sturgeon. Is this a 'Bring your own fish' trip? Or is it champagne and caviar all the way?.

Petesnr

We eat very well on the boat, but have to draw a line somewhere laugh.gif

Is the general opinion swinging to staying around the islands or are some still interested in going to Cherbourg?

Of course its all down to this Cr## weather blowing itself out

Charlie biggrin.gif

i am happy still to go to Cherbourg and split the trip

Dave

That sounds Tres Bon.

It just means making sure the preperations are right and the correct paperwork is onboard, no spare drums of red diesel and out of date flares etc.

Oh and I must add the SSR No on the cabin sides.

and borrow Craig's french translation book wink.gif

Alll nous avons besoin d'une certaine conditions m

Cherbourg and Alderney for JV too. So, JV, Alfresco and Wight magic doing the split trip and the rest sticking to a longer trip to Alderney.

Ps. Mark from AA is coming over to Cherbourg for the 2nd night with his new boat

i am happy still to go to Cherbourg and split the trip

Dave

That sounds Tres Bon.

It just means making sure the preperations are right and the correct paperwork is onboard, no spare drums of red diesel and out of date flares etc.

Oh and I must add the SSR No on the cabin sides.

and borrow Craig's french translation book wink.gif

Alll nous avons besoin d'une certaine conditions m

In my experience, there's no problem arriving at France either from the UK or outside of the EEC (the Channel Islands), they ask you to record your last port when registering at the marina, and I think that's all.

Duncan's list looks good, to which I would add:

- Passport

- I take the current original insurance certificate as well, not a copy.

- An E111 card allows medical cover in France.

- Paper chart/Pilot book/Almanac - if for example, electronics fail in fog on the final approach

I've never bothered calling ahead on VHF, and either find a vistor's berth myself, or get directed on arrival. This is all pretty laid back.

Cherbourg pontoons are plastic with low buoyancy, and an awkward loop at the end, not a cleat. Take care leaping off!

Note that out of date flares, and red diesel in containers other than the main fuel tank in France are illegal and you can be fined on the spot.

Armed Customs officer have the right to board you at sea in French waters or in harbour. It's only happened to me twice, and they were polite, professional and courteous on both occasions. Their English was ok, but they appreciated me dealing with them in French, and didn't ask to search the boat.

Mike

a few have cleats Mike - we (smaller/lighter craft) don't have the same problems with them overall rolleyes.gif

I wasn't trying to make a definitive list, just annotating Charlie's.

For a full list you would have to add ships radio license and operators certificate (radio not ship!)

As you say they are generally courteous - flying their courtesy flag also gets things off on the right foot; the real reason for my post.

4 small craft heading into Cherbourg, one CG vessel - which one get's stopped? ph34r.gif

Noooooo! I dont believe it.....

It cant be the Greg Casey from years ago, I know we used to share a common interest, sea based.... and you bought my last sailing boat from me,

But.... didnt know we shared another common interest... Drinking aside!!!!

Are you Mrs Sea in disguise ??

Paul

Noooooo! I dont believe it.....

It cant be the Greg Casey from years ago, I know we used to share a common interest, sea based.... and you bought my last sailing boat from me,

But.... didnt know we shared another common interest... Drinking aside!!!!

Are you Mrs Sea in disguise ??

Paul

yessssssss youd bettter

i am not really the mrs sea tho thats a lump of glassfibre me i am just a lump!

look forward to catching up in alderney

greg