Any tackle tarts out here - new rod decision

ChrisE

I'm minded to get myself a nice 12-20 class rod. The three I've been looking at, on the net, are the Diawa Team Z, the MTI 15-20 and the Islander 12-20. At present, I'm leaning towards the MTI as it is the longest rod and I like long rods, also the cheapest, which is good.

Has anybody got any of the above and are there any others in this class I should be looking at?

TIA

Chris

Try and get your hands on a 12-20 braid ugly stik. They are a long, light, thin blank with a great deal of strength to give those cod and ling some teddy but still very sensitive in the tip. They were supposed to retail at

Edited by Wedger

Chris I have the MTI 20-40 in my opinion great rod not as powerful as labeled,modified mine with duplon on grip above reel seat as it was a bare blank and too small for my hands,I can bring to next meet for you to borrow as I wont be using it for some time.

Out of my collection,ugly,alba,daiwa its my favourite allround rod

Just let me know

Nige

get yourself a new abu suveran evo 12lb class.

you'll like it that much you'll soon buy the 20lb as well.

by the winter you'll be after the 30lb for those needles cod.

it happened to me!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

have a word with Mark at Alderney Angling and ask one of the guys visiting to bring it back for you.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Nigel, unfortunately back at work as from next week, based in Wales, club meets will be out for a bit. Interesting observation on the power of the rod tho' and best of luck with your engine.

Dicky, as it happens I'm over to Alderney in June with Chris Caines, so will look in shop, although I suspect that money will have burnt hole in pocket before then.

Keep the thoughts coming.

Chris

i have recently [past two years] really taken to the Diawa Kensaki braid rods

I now have them all and always use the 12-20 when drift fishing for pollack/cod

nice light rod to hold all day, very good action even though its in two equal parts

and although the retail price is

Ive always been a fan of the Abu Conolon / Suveran - in fact I've got 11 of them and counting!

Until recently... Ive just bought a pair of Kenzaki's - would recommend then highly - if you want a lightweight rod to hold all day then these are the kiddies. Worth a look.

BTW - Alderney Angling is the place to get them -

by the winter you'll be after the 30lb for those needles cod.

huh.gif

Blimey ........ blink.gif

I used 12 & 12-20 ugly for the 20 lbers last winter and easily coped. When we were fishing for the 6-12 lbders 2 years ago the 6lb ugly was in play.

cool.gif

Edited by Wedger

Thanks all, I'll add the Kenzaki on to my list.

I had on one of the earlier versions and found it v light but managed to smash the tip after a couple of seasons, perhaps I'll fare better with the new version.

Chris

I bought the Kanzaki 6-12 lb braid special late last year.....yet to christen it as the boat is still on my drive. mad.gif

Was tempted by the Ugly 12lb too ....... and the 12-20.... but have a few in that range already. rolleyes.gif

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif