16 rescued

conger king

Well i thought being well prepared was to look at the weather ,tides and charts of intended passage, then have a meeting and all agree what a crazy idea it would be. Then if we thought that wasn't hazardous enough we could try it without paddles. Then we can get a lift in a proper boat when it all goes tits up and all the while the red and white helicopters light up the water and make it all glittery like christmas.

What a total waste of the emergency services time somebody wants talking to

While I agree with you in part, there is a big part of me that is saying it is what the emergency services are for. If it was not for accidents, fate, and/or poor preparation (or a combination of them) there would be no need for the emergency services.

John 8:7; Let he who has never sinned cast the first stone.

I only say the above because i too needed the emergency services a month or so ago and it wasn't till that moment that I realised just how ill prepared I was,

I guess thqat so many things could have gone "other than expected" one of them being the poor sod that became incapacitated through severe sea sickness, not really a drama on a boat with more than one crew but one a boat with one crew where that crew is also the motive power it changes the shape of an expedition dramatically. Sure we could come back and state something like if you get sea sick you should not have been there, but maybe that person had not been in that sea state or had trouble before.

and maybe they would have stayed well clear of the race, or been there at a more forgiving time if that member of the team did not get semi incapacitated through sea sicknness.

Also being "well prepared" could mean different things to different people, to some it might mean having asolutely everything covered, so someone else it may just mean thought skill and preperation to be able to survive something.

My view i guess is somewhere in between. these people had enough training to raft into smaller safety groups when hey got seperated and things started deteriorating, they also had enough sense for teh group outside the race to call for assistance rather than going in after the people in trouble and making things worse, they had the means to call for assistance, and the equipment to survive long enough for the emergency services to arrive as save a difficult situation becoming a fatal situation.

Fred i am not sure what you mean by proper boat, i can only assume that any boat smaller than yours, or any boat without an engine, or sail is not a proper boat. Maybe the club could come up with a definition for what a "proper boat" is biggrin.gif a great deal of non proper boats were out training with the RNLI inmproving our and their skills yesterday in an organised event, I am pretty sure the RNLI never mentioned that we should do this again when we all had proper boats.

OK sprint im not that keen on these semi submerged fishing things as this year i nearly ran over 4 of them in thick fog 1/2 a mile south off durlston. On another occasion off the isle of wight watching one of those pointed at both ends and covered with a hole in the middle thing with a piece of rag hung up sailing 2 miles south of the needles in a southely 4-5 , now that is clever in the winter. He then anchored up and started cod fishing for two hours.

your difinition of a kyak is obviously not a boat

Cod Hauler

Boat : N/A

MMSI

Fred,

i was of course playing devils advocate (im bored biggrin.gif ) but my point i think was that we all have our own skill sets and comfort zones and what one of us feels is barking mad is perfectly acceptable to another.

The person you saw on a kayak sailing south of the needles in the car park was possibly "Overrun" a club member or more likely to be honest some chap called Richi, I have chatted to Richi on many occasions and his antics frightent he crap out of me, but he knows exactly what he is doing and is an expert in his field.

I think we have some reports from the needles in teh kayak section that may include a trip with Richi, its a good read. He reports on another forum and on many occasions he will paddle over to do some cod fishing only to find that it does not feel right so he will abort and come home, its just a matter or perspective. And yes i think hes nuts as well.

Happy new year

Edited by Sprinter

I think that it needs to be remembered that, putting yourself at risk also puts those at risk who work\volunteer to come and rescue, pick you up, airlift you and \ or try to assist.

I guess these people wanted to go play in the surf of the race - fine, but why do it so late in the day close to darkness. The first mayday call was at 16:00 - could have been Darwin award contenders in that group!

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/8766356.S..._Portland_Race/

some more info here, the coastguard was aware of them as they had called in a paddle plan prior to setting off.

A bunch of instructors and coaches, initially my thoughts was that just made it worse, however my second thought was if it could go that wrong for a bunch of instructors then the rest of us lesser skilled people may have got into trouble sooner.

I think there are two thingts that i would take from this

1, phone a paddle or trip plan into the coastguard so they know who and where you are and what time you are due back

2, once things go wrong make the call sooner rather than later, especially if its approaching dark.

I am sure a full report will be released giving the details of what went wrong in due course.

Well i thought being well prepared was to look at the weather ,tides and charts of intended passage, then have a meeting and all agree what a crazy idea it would be. Then if we thought that wasn't hazardous enough we could try it without paddles. Then we can get a lift in a proper boat when it all goes tits up and all the while the red and white helicopters light up the water and make it all glittery like christmas.

Your day will come fred when you run aground, then we can throw rocks at you . . And keep a lookout in the fog ,its your duty to fellow mariners. . . .

I think it's easy for us boaters with engines to look at this as fool hardy and stupid.

Sure it wasnt an ideal situation, but everything Ive read about these guys has been very sensible and well prepped.

For one the fact that they called the paddle in on Ch16 before they left was textbook - when I did my VHF course this was taught as std proceedure before any trip on any size vessel yet Ive never been on a club boat when anyone has...

That said - I think there is always the right tool for the job, and whilst lines get blured and people push bounadries - 16.00hrs in the Portland Race in winter in a Kayak isnt a place I'd want to be!

Just been trying to piece this trip together, closest I've been is Grove point which is short of the race. Assuming proceeding west to east, then they really needed to clear the most southerly point of the Bill, by Weymouth HW - 3hours, approx 15:00. By 16:00 the southerly west to east flow is picking-up and back eddies starting on the eastern side. (by my reckoning)

Hi,

Thanks Jim for the support.

As you have probably guessed from the last reply, I was the person leading the group.

The press have tried to sensationalise the event. Quite news day, 16 people involved?.

I'm not going into exact details, as I could get quoted from this site. but I have put the statement that I have given to South Today.

Who are going to show footage of the rescue filmed from the helicopter on tonights program.

The group were experienced, trained and fully equipped for paddling the waters around Portland.

Having successfully negotiated Portland Bill from east to west. The final leg was started. Several small things during the day had compounded to alter the groups original plan. Back up plans were used and whilst the group were heading for a landing spot by Portland Bill, one of several back up plans and something the group was capable off. One person took a swim and was rescued by members of the group back into their kayak. The group had now drifted on to the edge of the tidal race. The decision was then made to call for assistance. All Persons were rescued from their rafted kayaks before darkness fell. The kayaks were rescued afterwards, hence why it was dark.

I can not praise the rescue services enough for their professional and speedy response, and also the paddlers involved who put their training into practice, making sure the group stayed safe.

Also if any local paddlers to Portland recover any kit, please PM me.

All boats were accounted for, but were short of a couple of paddles, tow lines and pumps.

One of the people rescued has some footage of the rescue and will post shortly.

Thanks

Nig

Lifted directly from another site, written by the group leader For those that may be interested to put the thread in context here it is

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/v...php?f=4&t=72034

As i said earlier, these seemed well prepared, and its come to light that the coastguard knew all about them, and that they had multiple options and backout plans that the group were all aware of, one of them was being implimented when an incident started teh ball rolling.

To me it reads like the decision was made to call for assistance was done in plenty of time basedon conditions, difficulties and a deteriorating light situation.

Good job i say, saved lives

Your day will come fred when you run aground, then we can throw rocks at you . . And keep a lookout in the fog ,its your duty to fellow mariners. . . .

last thing i would want is semi submersed pointy things throwing stones at me on the hook sands. Would be a great help if when you boys go out take a roll of baco foil with you so when the fog comes down you could wrap it round your heads and at least give us some sort of target on our radars instead of just hoping that we will see you bobbing around and not putting the responsibilty on other boat users or better still dont get caught in fog

I dont know of any kayak fisherman that would go out in Fog nor many boat anglers come to that.

But sometimes it comes down quick without warning and people do get caught out.

99% of our trips out are done with 2 or more kayaks in the group.I have done a few trips out to the Needles on a calm Summers day with a group.

I dont agree with lone paddling especially in conditions above a force 3 and in Mid winter.But you do get people with a Cavalier aproach to life that get a rush and go out in conditions beyond and above that.That is there choice,but I find it Foolhardy.(My opinion)

I have gone out in Poole harbor in a force 5(with a piece of rag hung up sailing wink.gif )which can be a good laugh especially in the shallows off Rockly.

Edited by Zzippy

Well i thought being well prepared was to look at the weather ,tides and charts of intended passage, then have a meeting and all agree what a crazy idea it would be. Then if we thought that wasn't hazardous enough we could try it without paddles. Then we can get a lift in a proper boat when it all goes tits up and all the while the  red and white helicopters light up the water and make it all glittery like christmas.

What about this then crazy fred, is this fine with you as its a proper boat?

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/999/Warning-9...il/article.html