Cod Hooks

JIMBOB

Ditto Alun,

Ive got several boxes of O'Shaunesseys here if you want them! With the hook technology we have now, I cant see a place for these.

I use Varivas Big Mouth and Big Mouth eXtra, in 6/7&8/0 for Cod. They arent huge hooks but they done need to be - they are super sharp and super strong.

For conger I use the 8/0 - it's much smaller than an O'Shaunessey but works so much better - once they go in - they rarely come out!

I use sakuma 545 6/0,I don't like the thin wire hooks as they can easily tear out,our skipper on cod comp also agrees.Also let the bite develop,we are all guilty of being to keen and I only normally use two or three squid or a cuttlefish and a squid or two on the end,leave reel on ratchet and when you get a cod bite give a little line if it doesn't rip it off itself.

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs just the way I do it

Nige

P.S if you do miss a few try putting a twist on the hook to offset the point and barb

I agree with the others have said and would add that I had similar problems last year and the year before and this year my hit rate is much nearer to being perfect. I'm sure that this is what everybody else does but no one else has mentioned it so here goes.

I've changed three things that seem to have a made a difference. Firstly I make sure that the top hook of the pennel is just nicked into the top of the bait, ie it is clear of the bait 'mound' and secondly, I no longer 'top up' a bait that has been chewed by doggies and pout. It is a completely fresh bait every time, I lost too many fish when the hook came back buried in the mound of bits of bait. Lastly, I now bind the tail hook so that is at right angles to the bait and just above the end of the bait.

I use a Varvivas big mouth 8/0 as the main hook and an Owner or Varvivas 5/0 as the pennel, as others ahave said these new range hooks are so much sharper than the old style.

8/0 Big Mouth or the Sakuma ones which cost a few bob but are well sharp.

Even then I have lost 2 fish on last 2 trips and one of the 3 I caught during these trips had the hook in the edge of the mouth and this dropped out when the fish was brought aboard.

I have come to the conclusion it is best to leave the fish to get the bait well down its gob - but then when a bite comes to nothing I then conclude I should have wound into it earlier - decisions / decisions !

I must be the only one but I use Varivas full circle 8/0 for the bottom and a 4/0 Varivas Big Mouth "TDE" (Pennel) above it. Haven't missed any (to my knowledge) and haven't lost any (yet). Those that I've hooked, I have landed. It's down to what one has faith in, I guess. Interestingly, I tie them fairly close and only use two squid for bait. Again, seems to work and is cheaper on bait. When I see the little crabs the cod are picking up, I think they would look upon two squid as a worthwhile mouthful.

Terry.

Catfish-Pro Eagle Wave Maruto Hooks 6/0 to 10/0 on the top and sometimes on the bottom too, but also use Mustad big gun ultrapoint on the bottom again 6/0 to 8/0 depending on the stamp.

Edited by Wedger

Oddly enough, Christchurch Angling do Sakuma hooks -they are a almost perfect round bend /gape and very sharp - but then so are most new hooks.

I think it comes down to making sure the hooks are very sharp and fit the bait. You're not going to snap a wire hook in a cods mouth laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

I just dont like the 'meat hook' style O shaunessy, I dont fish with heavy enough mono to do the eye on the hook justice!!!

Paul