gas and manual inflatable lifejackets.

Leicester Fisheagle

I hope to return to the water down the Poole/Weymouth area after a gap of some 12 years, all be it in a small 16 footer. Some safety advice would be welcome. I have floatation suits and buoyancy aids, but am looking at buying a couple of manual/gas inflatable lifejackets. There seem to be a lot more on the market now. Years ago, Crew Save seemed to be the main one. Has anyone any thoughts on the automatics and is a harness necessary? What about gas cartridges? Any thoughts about sources at the right price? Thanks in advace for any help. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Allan.

Hi- welcome back!

I agree there is now a massive selection to choose from in the lifejacket market.

I have just bought 3 for my new boat, and here's the reasons I considered:

I wanted all 3 the same - picture the scenario - you are sinking and hand out jackets to your crew, you have 3 jackets 2 good ones and a cheaper brand - who do you give the cheap one to????

I bought 3 good quality jackets - hurt the pocket, but can you put a price on safety - especially when the difference between a cheaper brand and a decent auto inflate may only be 15-20 quid.

I went for auto inflate jackets - if you are knocked unconscious and go in the wet stuff, the jacket does all the work.

Most of the jackets you see advertised are decent, mine are XM models, cant vouch for the others as havent tried them. I can reccommend these, they also have a heavy duty S/S lifting ring on the buckle if the RNLI need to use it. I paid

Also, make sure everyone on board knows how to operate one manually shall the auto device fail to work.

I've taught my kids (everytime we go on my boat) how to use the pull cord if they fall into the water.

I have 4 gas and 2 buoyancy vests (to 50N) as spare/backup.

However, all auto inflate jackets worry me. How do I know they WILL work when it is needed? Sod's law the only time you need it and it doesn't work ...... unsure.gif

I dont think you need worry...they are tested to BS standards, and Im sure that if they didnt work all of the time, then they wouldnt be on sale.

Best to have auto, that way if the gas doenst go, you can pull the cord. I have set mine off twice now (by accident) and they work VERY well!

I too have the XM ones - I got mine from Pumpkin Marine ( btw: If anyone wants anything picking up from there to save postage I am more than willing to nip in over my lunch break - as I only work up the road ). Have never had one inflate yet though - but it is also worth showing the kids how to manually inflate one should the pull cord and auto inflate not work ( you can rip open and blow up manually ).

Thanks for your advice everyone. Sounds as if I need to buy three of the ones mentioned. How long do the gas cartridges last before they need replacing? Have tried to find a site for Pumpkin Marine but all I am getting is an address in London. About to try Aladin's Cave. Hope to get to know a few more faces when I get back on the water. Regards. Allan. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

The cartridges last at least 3 years, they reccommend manually inflating the jackets once a year - through the mouth piece - and checking for leaks thats all.

Pumpkin dont have a site im pretty sure - Paul D may be able to give you the details,

I have manual life jackets, but wish I had bought the auto types. But on the plus side the manual re-arm kits are cheaper (but not a worthy consideration with safety in mind).

I got my kids to inflate their jackets using the cord so that they know how to do it and are not shocked by what happens. The manual inflation goes off with quite a bang, but the thing that affected them the most was how cold the jacket became. There's a pretty big endothermic (if my schoolboy physics is still any good) reaction when the CO2 is expelled, which is quite a shock to your system.

Bob F.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone - it has been very useful. Hope to get to the next club meeting in September which should help me to put some faces to the names.

Regards

Allan smile.gif

It dawned on me that the old junior ones on my boat would struggle to keep Sam or Daniel afloat if me and Wendy needed the only 2 adult ones that are left onboard.

I have just bought 2 Auto Jackets [Adult 150n] with three year warrenty from Pete Trew at Quay West Chandelery.

@