Help

Mikey B

I've obtained a copy of Dive Dorset which has a number of interesting marks close to Poole I would like to try.

Can some one please tell me how to convert the GPS number from O/S as in the book to those used on my GPS.

My GPS requires three decimal places at the end and not the two as shown in Dive Dorset.

I'm sure this has been covered before but would be grateful for the help.

Thanks

Mikey B

Unless its a very exact spot IE a small wreck just enter the ones given and put a zero on the end. Then go and have a look

The fact that they are to two decimal places usualy indicates that they are old numbers.

The problem can be knowing which datum they are using, and if they are Degrees-minutes-seconds or Degrees-minutes-decimals.

I believe [if I get this the right way] that if none of the Numbers you are given have any numbers higher than 60 they are DMS [You do not get more than 60 mins or seconds] and if higher than 60 they are DMD.

Hope that has not confused you more

Charlie

Many thanks for the responses lads.

I will check out the web sites provided when I get time.

I need to look further afield than Poole patch and Swanage bay.

I'm limited with my Orkney 520 range wise and would like to buddy up when going further out (work and weather permitting).

Taking advantage of the calm weather last week end I was unable to find the Betsy Anna because I had the wrong GPS numbers.

In the past I

Another little snippet which is useful to remember, the third digit represents about 2 meters in the N-S coordintates, and 1 meter in the E-W coordintates.

So, for example, the difference between 50 34 001N and 50 34 003N is 4 meters.

And the difference between 01 56 590W and 01 56 599W is 9 meters.

This can be useful when calculating roughly how far you need to drop your anchor from a wreck (i.e. at least 3 times the depth of water you are in, plus the drop back of the fishing lines).

BF

Another little snippet which is useful to remember, the third digit represents about 2 meters in the N-S coordintates, and 1 meter in the E-W coordintates.

So, for example, the difference between 50 34 001N and 50 34 003N is 4 meters.

And the difference between 01 56 590W and 01 56 599W is 9 meters.

This can be useful when calculating roughly how far you need to drop your anchor from a wreck (i.e. at least 3 times the depth of water you are in, plus the drop back of the fishing lines).

BF

Good bit of information there Bob

One problem however ................................... first find the wreck! ohmy.gif

Dave

cool.gif

As I hinted at earlier

If you have numbers that you want checked.

PM them to me I will look on my Data Base to see if I have more accurate GPS numbers for you.

Its not a trick to get more numbers, its a genuine offer to help biggrin.gif

To start with you may want to stick with the inshore wrecks and practice the various techniques.

You will be surprised at what occasionally comes from these.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Jim and others

If it is just wreck Numbers you want and info on those wrecks a subscription to the wrecksite, may also make a good present.

Once subscribed there is loads of info available.

However I do not remember how much that costs

like here for Kyarra, some info not available in this view.

http://wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?548

Charlie biggrin.gif

Edited by great white