Lynmouth 19/09/09

Overrun

Another one of those venues that I've been keen to fish, weather window permitting. The drive down followed a familiar route as to Hartland, arriving in good time to survey the town. The rest of the group arrived soon after, AdamSi, Smeg, Diver9, Pugwash & Isca. News was good, Tope caught the previous day close-in . Launched and headed for the bay off Sillery.

Lynmouth from the water:

user posted image

Anchored in 40ft, tide receding fast, the Dogs were in . Whole Mackerel ripped to pieces in minutes. After a succession of small Dogfish, a more purposeful bite on a whole Squid. Bent my 12lb rod well and fought hard until mid water. A Ray, and not one I'd caught from a Kayak before , Small Eyed:

user posted image

Low water approaching and the anticlockwise tidal eddy eased to a halt. Caught a second Small Eyed on the Tope rod(Whole Mackerel), not as big as the first, began rebaiting and Dave (Isca) yelled. Tope. Great, but a slight problem, lassoed around the tail, ... several trips to the kayak followed, each time Dave tried to grab the tail it was spooked and crash dived, 4th attempt and in the Yak:

user posted image

A cracking fish 25lb'ish, gave us hope for more and a few minutes later I duly obliged:

user posted image

OK, so it could have been bigger.

Low tide came and went (doesn't take long in the Bristol Channel) Adam, Dave, Pugwash & myself landed on Scillery for lunch and a stretch before the afternoon stint. Smeg & Diver9 headed towards the point, returning to fish close-in after we relaunched.

The afternoon rising tide was much quieter, even the Dogs were less in abundance, Eugene caught a nice Huss, think that was about it.

What a cracking day with great company in magnificent surroundings.

Also, I like seeing your set up, all the equipment you carry etc. It all looks v professional/expensive and the way you strap the cool box on the back. Is it full of booze? Can you get prosecuted for paddling a canoe sloshed I wonder? Seriously though, keep 'em coming, they are my favourite as well. Just one question: when you hook a big 'un, does it pull you along or could it cap-size you or is v stable? Just a thought! I look forward to seeing you in action some time next summer. Have fun.....

Also, I like seeing your set up, all the equipment you carry etc. It all looks v professional/expensive and the way you strap the cool box on the back. Is it full of booze? Can you get prosecuted for paddling a canoe sloshed I wonder? Seriously though, keep 'em coming, they are my favourite as well. Just one question: when you hook a big 'un, does it pull you along or could it cap-size you or is v stable? Just a thought! I look forward to seeing you in action some time next summer. Have fun.....

No booze in the cool box biggrin.gif honest biggrin.gif, not a great fan of those myself as the wind get's hold of 'em and mucks-up your steering.

It's an odd feeling being pulled about by the fish, even the humble Pout will swing the bow round when not anchored. I've done 600 yards+ attached to a Smooth Hound and others further on Tope. That said, mostly we are at anchor, occasionally a fish goes up-tide and pulls the kayak across the tide.

Stability wise the worst part is lifting the fish from the water.

Cheers

James