making a trailer

Gnasher

well, my poor old trailer has finally given, as its just not safe to use sad.gif . it has rusted out bug time, but there is a few bits i can take off and reuse.

I am looking to make my own trailer, but an wondering where is the best place to get some metal to make the axel. It would need to fit a boat of 18ft. Also, how much would the metal cost? An old mate of mine made his, but i have lost his details so i can't contact him to ask, although he said it was fairly straight forward. I can get my hands on welding kit, i have decent new suspension units, but i just need to get some bits to start putting it together.

Also, you may have got hold of a welding kit but , can you weld. To do it properly is not just a case of touch the two together and away it goes. You don't want it falling apart when you subject it to the weight of the boat. Of course, if you are a skilled welder, then, orft you jolly well go.

Terry.

Cheers for your response guys, regards to welding, we know a few who can weld it for us, we have the bits to rebuild the trailor, like winch, suspension units, hitch, mounting struts etc, we just need the main section and axel, or the metal for the job, if anyone knows anyone in the steel trade give them a a shout on our behalf and see whats about, we would like to buy a 2nd hand one, but we both got a very limited budget (each having 2 kids 'n all) so if we can rebuild one then all good.

Cheers for your responses guys, unfortunatley you won be hearing many fish tales from the Dat Dam Boat boyzzzz for a while weep.gif

Dom

Hi Guys we buy our box section from James Bros

look them up and give the stockroom a call for prices

If you have a list of sizes and lengths [from the old one] they may have some of it in the offcuts bin. but steel is still pricey

Best of luck

Charlie

Dan,

Go 2nd hand IMHO unless you really are have have help from a reasonably skilled engineer. The cost of the material, the planning in getting the angles and dimensions correct and the overall durability of the unit (unless as stated the whole lot is hot dipped) wont add up.

Keep your eye out and save your pennies. If you do build one see if you can borrow one to copy whilst you build as opposed to making it up!

Good luck

Adam

Be aware that as from april next year it is being proposed by VOSA that all trailers will have be tested every other year, capacity plated and carry a CE mark, so all your hard work may cost you a lot more bringing it up to regulation if that comes in.

I think it would be money better spent buying yourself a decent second hand unit in the long run, because if VOSA get their way, and they will soon it will likely outlaw a lot of home made trailers overnight.

Simon L

• 3 weeks later...

Hi dan ,many years ago i built a boat trailer from a RSJ s from a scrap yard,this was built for a 18 ft ply boat.I found that the keel rollers fitted inside the rsj and the axles the same i think it was about 6inch by 4 inch it was about 1/4 inch thick all joints were welded and bolted ( i could weld then ) i had it two years and it lasted longer than the boat did.Only down side was its weight not much good for long trips ,if i remember you dont have far to go.good luck

Dan,

Have a trailer that can be used on a semi permanent basis. Have a 16' boat on a mooring and only need it a few weeks a year. I live in christchurch so please pm me if you want to check it out and take it away.

Only need a trip out in the bay and some tips in return.

chris