Rips

Gas

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phew! Just Got back from there today,,, absolutely beautiful day, calm going out, and bearable coming back, 20knts all the way!

7 Cod in total, with the biggest at 16lb, to Jake (my younger bro..), who decided to pick up a rod for the first time, and hooked straight in to it!

Great Day, but definately wouldnt like to be there with any worse conditions or stronger winds!

Dan

One of the many good points of being part of the club is to draw from all of the more experienced guys' knowledge.

Thanks to all of you for the cautionary comments.

I dare not go far if it's rough, as i have a stomach complaint - " no guts " biggrin.gif

I would not entertain the Idea without lots of other members in the area.

Thank you all for the advice.

I will stay in sheltered areas close to shore I think it's unsafe.

Jim

Hi Chaps

Id be tempted any other forecast... what does a flood all day and an easterly mean ?? Sounds unpleasant to me

Could someone advise on the hour difference between say Poole and mid channel for the low water times, and which forecast people use ?

Regards

Paul

Charlie

You are spot on with your post,Aquafresh regularly visits the rips however there have also been several occasions that we have changed our plans on the way there.It is supposed to be fun,and fishing out there in a 4/5 wind against tide isnt in our boat so it wont be any better for other small boats.The fuel issue is not an issue for Aquafresh,but crawling home at 9/10 knots would have compromised us in our Raider.Posts like this are why i value my membership,it is great to share safety ideas.For the record we use xcweather and that forecast suggests that there will be more comfortable weekends to visit the rips than this one,the bass are in though.

Rup

Edited by large fries

Just looked at BBC Shipping.

Force 4 - 5 looks too rough for Small Fry.

I'll check again later, but what do the more experienced members think about heading towards the IOW to use it for shelter ?

Maybe try for Bass ? ? ?

Anyone willing to PM some marks and Tactics ?

Jim

Have just come back from a few days on the Isle of Wight, and this morning we left at 7 a.m. to have a look at fishing the Dolphin Sands and the Clan, but with a E4 and horrible swell we went fishing nshore instead, where it was a lot smoother.

Conditions within the Needles Channerl were fine, but after a mile or two from the cliffs, it started chopping up, with swell creeping around St Catherine's Point.

Definitely better closer to the island than in Christchurch Bay in an Easterly!

Mike

Went out of Xchurch on low water this morning about 08.30 and it was quite windy and rough with a big swell going across to dive Swanage Bay. We were in a RIB and it certainly would not have been a day to go out to the Rips in my Raider, the boat could take, it but I could'nt. A motor boat capsised off Christchurch while we were out and 4 people had to be rescued from the water so it must have been rough on the Ledge. As the forecast for tomorrow is similar F3 - 4 easterly I think I'll leave it for another and better day.

Despite the conditions I managed to get wet and now have fresh scallops for tea.

Gordon H

It looks like one of those days with conflicting forecasts.

Please remember its down to skippers and crews to make the final call, but err on the cautious safe route if in doubt.

Experiance teaches you a lot, and one of the best things is when not to go, or when to admit you do not like the sea conditions and change to a safer more sheltered plan.

As Rup says there are days when you just have to turn back.

There will be plenty more calm days to come, and fish to go with them.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Oh and its not a hint rolleyes.gif

But Wendy Dan and I are off to see HMS Victory tomorrow with Sam, before he deploys on Monday.

If we were not , and having checked wind guru we would be out there somewhere wink.gif

Good call Jim - it's a tricky forecast today for sure - looks like it should be flat on the internet, but clearly isnt!

FWIW - when you do get out, I used to use around 75 ltrs in my 165 to do the trip - that was with a 60hp 4 stroke. I think when Gordon has done the trip the 70hp Etec is even better. For safety - I used to take 100 ltrs - which gave around 25 ltrs reserve.

I did the trip about 6 times in my 165 and twice in my 175. It's quite manageble in a 16/17' boat, but you do need to pick the weather and have a buddy boat. 2's and 3's are the winds to look for... cool.gif

EMERGENCY REQUEST!!!!

Adam has unavoidably had to cancel our trip to break all Cod records on the Rips tomorrow.

Does anyone who is heading out have space for two stowaways?

Myself - a cantacarous middle aged git

Norman Berry - a cantacarous old git

Promise we'll both be good and promise we'll chip in to costs.

Don't have any phone numbers to hand to call around so if anyone knows a way we can get fishing, please call 07780 687795.

Cheers

Tom

are you sure its not two cantacarous old gits tom haha laugh.gif

Dan

Dan, I'll see you at work!!!

...no worries Adam. Some things are even more important than fishing and I am absolutely cool about that.

This week, the weather looks great, and the tides are strong, but not impossible for next Monday too.

All the best

Tom

we went out to rips on sunday very snotey on way out saw awol going like the the clapers ???????any way took us 2 hours to arrive at slack but tide soon started best drift was 2.4 knots and it started to die sea leveled out lovley day 30 cod to 4 rods 19 put back to small maneged avrage speed on way back much better than the 7-8 knots on way out swash channel down to about 5-6 knots depending on wave hight mind you wind over tide did not help but a very enjoyable day had by all dont know how other boats did but we counted about 20 boats drifting a few where pbsbac till next time

we went out to rips on sunday very snotey on way out saw awol going like the the clapers ???????any way took us 2 hours to arrive at slack but tide soon started best drift was 2.4 knots and it started to die sea leveled out lovley day 30 cod to 4 rods 19 put back to small maneged avrage speed on way back much better than the 7-8 knots on way out swash channel down to about 5-6 knots depending on wave hight mind you wind over tide did not help but a very enjoyable day had by all dont know how other boats did but we counted about 20 boats drifting a few where pbsbac till next time

Just out of interest, what Shads/ Jellys were you using?

We didnt have nearly as many cod as you! (though only on 2 rods...), on white berkley storm shads, and firetails on leadheads...

its amazing with so many boats out there,, you could get away without a gps or fishfinder, as you just have to join the conveyor belt of charter boats, and motor back to the start once youve finished!

Dan

After a doubtful start due to weather forecasts Dean, Phil (Trevet) and myself decided to go out there Sunday. A little lumpy going but not to bad with the odd rogue wave giving us a bump. The fishing was a little slow in the morning but it did pick up pm. We ended up with about 30 fish, largest 12lb with average size being around the 4/5lb mark with a splattering of 7/8lbers

The boat performed faultlessly cruising out to the mark at between 15 & 18 knots and home again at 24knots.

Dean and Tom B went out on AWOL again today but I will let them report on that trip

Martin

Just out of interest, what Shads/ Jellys were you using?

We didnt have nearly as many cod as you!  (though only on 2 rods...), on white berkley storm shads, and firetails on leadheads...

its amazing with so many boats out there,, you could get away without a gps or fishfinder, as you just have to join the conveyor belt of charter boats, and motor back to the start once youve finished!

Dan

Dan

We were trying orange, blue and mackerel look alike shads. The orange didn't do to well with the blue in second place. Streaks ahead though was the mackerel look alike shads.

join the conveyor belt
that's not thinking like a fish. To improve your results look for features as there are some out there, also when you catch a fish mark it on the plotter and give that section another go or two. Doing this will soon build up a picture of where the most productive areas are.

A thinking angler will more often than not out fish others

Martin