Rips

Gas

To improve your results look for features as there are some out there, also when you catch a fish mark it on the plotter and give that section another go or two. Doing this will soon build up a picture of where the most productive areas are.

Agreed, but it seemed silly once we were out there to follow the 5 or 6 charterboats, who were catching, and of course need to satisfy their customers for a living!

The drift we were following seemed to be heading in towards a "crab claw" like contour line, but stopping before it went up and over the contour. We also pressed the Waypoint button on the plotter every time we hooked up, and all of the fish were in a very close area, every time we passed over it!

I would have loved to have tried other areas, but spending quite a bit of time and fuel getting out there, It was difficult to make the decision to try elsewhere on the bank (and its a huuuuge bank!), and risk not catching as much, when we could see the charters were having success! Saying that, we did try one or two drifts outside the conveyor belt, albeit without much success....

I think for the next trip, i need a greater variety of lures, pre rigged, as Dad had a habbit of catching the bottom, leaving me to re-tie his rod!!!

How Long were you out on the banks for?

And are the Rips any different to the brittle star banks? or am i getting confused? lol laugh.gif

Dan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have loved to have tried other areas, but spending quite a bit of time and fuel getting out there,
Your call on that one but shorter drifts over the more productive areas instead of following all the others seems logical to me. As an example on Sunday one charter boat in particular was fishing very short drifts with a few of his anglers hooking up every time they got to a particular area. We did same tactics and had similar results (in the end)

How Long were you out on the banks for?
from about 10:30 - 17:30 with the lions share of our fish coming on the flood.

And are the Rips any different to the brittle star banks? or am i getting confused?
Very different, it's like an underground cliff coming up over 100' in some places. You will catch Pollock and cod plus occasional other stuff, I hear one club boat fished it Sunday and had a 3.5lb Brill. The ground is however more tackle hungry although not to bad if you keep in contact with your terminal tackle and keep it just off the bottom occasionally bouncing on it to ensure your still in the catching zone.

Martin

Well done to who got out to the rips Abode 11 stayed close Xray Etc and had a cracking days fishing with a full crew.

Sat I popped into Poole and spoke to a charter skipper I know and took his advice to put off the trip to the rips for safety and comfort for my crew.

All day all I could think about was the Rips and them COD. sad.gif

Fingers crossed for a window soon. wink.gif

After the dissapointing, but unavoidable cancellation from Adam I was all set to go to work yesterday morning when I checked my messages to see one from Dean saying he was missing the Cod (after 24 hours away from them) and did I want a run out on AWOL.

A very lazy start saw us arrive on the mark at about half 12 which was a little after slack.

It took about 3/4 hour for things to get moving but when they did it was steady (not frantic) action for about 2 1/2 hours with a fish each on most drifts.

Nearly all fish were peas in a Pod at 4 to 6lb with one for Dean at 11lb and one for me that was touch go at double figures, maybe just under.

Interestingly, Dean started well using a side winder lure, but that stopped working so well as the tide picked up. I was using my favourite twin tails and lead heads which seemed to work steadily through most of the tide.

The odd thing about the twin tails is that a large percentage of the fish were foul hooked anywhere from the gill plates right down to the doopher (note, an 8lb Cod hooked up the doopher on a 6 / 12 rod goes like a 30lb Tope).

After about 2 1/2 hours fishing, the fish went off a little and so with about steady, if not spectacular 15 fish (we each returned a couple) we began to head in with a brief diversion on some Bass banks.

We feathered a couple of live mackerel and Dean managed a perfect 4 or 5lb Bass on our second drift, but the tide was dieing away all the time and we had a pleasant one hour run back to the Swash. ...Pleasant for Dean as I was on my knees gutting the Cod and Bass befor tidying the boat.

Great company, great boat and not bad fishing either.

Thanks Dean!

Tom

And are the Rips any different to the brittle star banks? or am i getting confused?

Very different, it's like an underground cliff coming up over 100' in some places.

Oh... dry.gif Ive got confused into thinking the brittle star banks are the same as the rips! doh! rolleyes.gifblink.gifunsure.gif lol

Where abouts are the rips in relation to the banks then?

After about 2 1/2 hours fishing, the fish went off a little and so with about steady, if not spectacular 15 fish (we each returned a couple) we began to head in with a brief diversion on some Bass banks.

Well done tom! was that the same place as us?

Dan

Well done to who got out to the rips Abode 11 stayed close Xray Etc and had a cracking days fishing with a full crew.

Sat I popped into Poole and spoke to a charter skipper I know and took his advice to put off the trip to the rips for safety and comfort for my crew.

All day all I could think about was the Rips and them COD. sad.gif

Fingers crossed for a window soon. wink.gif

We decided not to go to the Rips in Small Fry. Thanks for the offer of a space Dave ( Wight Magic ) and Neal ( Court Jester )

I just needed to get my own boat out after all them months.

We headed off for our first trip to the IOW.

Steve got 2 Maccy & 1 Bass.

I just kept losing my tackle. ( Rob'll quote that one ).

Got a bit scorched in the sun, but had a cracking day out.

Used just over 30 litres of petrol. Pleased with that.

Jim

Well done all for getting out there

Actually Dan 7 is not a bad total when two of you are fishing an area you do not know.

Get 7 on a winters day and you would be made up.

Martins advice is spot on, simply following the charter boats is not IMHO the best way. Sure let them guide you to the area then look for your own fish holding areas.

All those that I talk too and ourselves found the fish in tight areas, that were well worth going back over a few times in short drifts.

Charlie