wrecks

Gnasher

Hi Dan,

Newboy is right, the majority of the inshore wrecks around the country are fished out. You may find pout, wrasse and possibly a few bream on them, but generally not worth the effort.

Your time will be best spent either picked a good forecast and heading out to the 10-15 mile wrecks (Im still waiting for a window this year!) or picking reef marks.

But then again,...what do I know - wrecks are underwater obstructions, which in turn attract fish..so give it a bash and see what turns up.

Anchoring correctly is crucial to fishing on the wreck..a plotter is of great help. Drifting allows more chances of drifting directly over the wreck..but again a plotter really helps.

Adam

hi Dan

Might be my electronics, but whenever I am looking for a bump of a wreck, most inshore wrecks are covered in sand, and you dont get much of a profile.

Still even a metre change allows some fish to shelter from tide, and on a featureless expanse of sand /gravel, thats where I'd live.

Fished a few wreck marks last winter on a friends boat, and that's where the whiting were in their hundreds.

The other point is that any Weekend in the summer, with the amount of boat traffic, your not likely to have a mark which is shown as clear as day on the chart to yourself. they are pretty small features anyway. I expect if a report comes in of loads of fish, everyone will be there.

Still ....Winter or mid week... give them a go. Even the best top secret marks fish like pants sometimes, as you know, and you wonder why you bothered going all that way.

hope thats cheered you up !

Paul

Ah Dan just a point. The collective for Doggies or to be correct the Lesser Spotted Dogfish is a pack or a shoal. Loads of them are not termed as flocking no matter how many of the flocking fish there are. However one can get, and for that matter frequently do, a load of flocking seagulls. Which if they congregate around your boat means that you get flocking seagull poo all over your head.

Mad Mike

Ah Dan just a point. The collective for Doggies or to be correct the Lesser Spotted Dogfish is a pack or a shoal. Loads of them are not termed as flocking no matter how many of the flocking fish there are. However one can get, and for that matter frequently do, a load of flocking seagulls. Which if they congregate around your boat means that you get flocking seagull poo all over your head.

Mad Mike

Whoops...this is a stuttttter

I was just reading through this post

considering wether a warning about weekend divers was in order

and I get to Pauls comments.

Cheers matey

It's true a lot of the inshore wrecks that have potential are a magnet for divers at this time of the year.

best of luck with them if you decide to give the wrecks a go.

Charlie