Rod holders

Adam F

As we have discussed in the past - many things for the marine industry are ludicrously expensive for what they are!

I have been after a set of 'rifle rack - rod holders' for a while now. These are vertical holders that fit to the gunwhale of your boat, and hold rods, nets, hooks etc in a horizontal position.

I had toyed with the idea of using hardwood from work, but as BW is all plastic and white fibregalss, I really want to keep to plastic or fibreglass.

I found a set of these holders on www.nautequipe.co.uk, they are

Yes, have a look at the range of building plastics that are available from people like 'Space Age Plastics'. There are all sorts of sections, thicknesses, strips and bars. It is very easy to work with and has a hard smooth white finish. One can glue it easily with a bood quality 'Super Glue'.

Mad Mike

The two on the back of my boat are made of hardwood with routed edgings and are paited with perfection 709.

easy to make and not too expensive.

But if you are still wanting plastic Space age Plastic is one of your best options.

They can be made the same way as mine, but I am not sure how smooth a surface you will get on the edges it depends on which plastic you can get.

If you want to have a look at the ones on GW, my block paving is almost done so it can be arranged during a trip soon

Charlie

Most of the plastics stocked for the building industry by companies such as space age will be co-extruded and used for fascias, soffits etc. This kind of plastic is available from about 6mm thich up to 22mm thick. It has one face side and edge with the other side and edge not quite so good. The big problem with this material is that cut ends will be like an aero chocolate bar full of littles air bubbles, these edges would be a magnet for dirt and fish slime and would get very grubby very quick. Shame really as other than that it would be ideal for the job. One thought, I wonder if gel coat could be used to seal the cut ends, or would it react with the plastic?

Adam if you would like to try some I have some 9mm thick here that your welcome to have

Martin

Cheers guys - I was thinking along the lines of the co-extruded stuff. I can get it from work, but in big quants, so I will take you up on that offer.

If it doesnt work out, off to Space Age Plastics....incidently, where are they??

Adam

I think you would be better off with ether a harder plastic that can be machined [routed] like white nylon or using hardwood and painting or coating with gelcoat.

Space Age are now on the nuffield estate opposite the post office depot.

Charlie

Ok - where would I get white nylon?? - This is actually what I had in mind.

Generaly from engineering material stockists, and often on e-bay would you believe. It seems that some small engineering shops are auctioning off their offcuts.

However a word of warning. Machine grade nylon is VERY difficult to work, murders tooling blades, and needs very high speed machining so that the cutting blades do not dwell in one spot causing heat friction. Also the swarf splinters and chips if not machined correctly and can become small but dangerous bullets.

May be it would be an idea to make a prototype in MDF and when you've got it right find a tame machinist and get it made in nylon.

Mad Mike

Roy at.........

Ringwood Precision Engineering

Unit 2, Millstream trading Estate

Ringwood

Hampshire

BH24 3SA

United Kingdom

Tel 01425 476296

Try this guy for nylon and machining same. Nice enough but a sharp as a sharp thing so don't accept his first price have a haggle.

Like the idea of using the chopping boards by the way, neat one smile.gif

Mad Mike