aquafish 23

fransy73

Hi Guys,

I`m looking for a fast fisher and am seriously interested in the Aquafish23 and fitted with a Volvo D3, 160 or 190 hp. As I surfed the internet, read several forums at sea angling sites, I found out that some of this members own a boat like this. What are your experiences with it? How does it behave in choppy seas? What are your good-and-bad about the boat?

I want to use it for wrecking up to 40/50miles that is why I need the speed and a good boat.

Is the aquafish comparable to a slightly larger Hardy 24 for example?

Many thanks for those who are willing to give me some advice.

Greetings, Frans

Hi Guys,

I`m looking for a fast fisher and am seriously interested in the Aquafish23 and fitted with a Volvo D3, 160 or 190 hp. As I surfed the internet, read several forums at sea angling sites, I found out that some of this members own a boat like this. What are your experiences with it? How does it behave in choppy seas? What are your good-and-bad about the boat?

I want to use it for wrecking up to 40/50miles that is why I need the speed and a good boat.

Is the aquafish comparable to a slightly larger Hardy 24 for example?

Many thanks for those who are willing to give me some advice.

Greetings, Frans

Fransy

Welcome to Poole Bay!

The guys will be along very shortly to give you their input.

We have two sets of members with an Aquafish.

Some guys use theirs from Christchurch and have an awesome time, but theirs is a little older with a different engine.

You are one weekend too early for a real review from the owners of the other as it is only beig launched for her maiden run on Sunday! (check out the Xmas comes early post).

Adam and Bob appear to have done a wonderful fit out of their boat, building it more or less from scratch.

I have little doubt she'll be an awesome boat. Fast and sea worthy!

The Hardy is something of a different beast. A closer comparison for the Hardy will be something like an Osprey 24.

Both are excellent boats and both will do what you ask, but being that bit bigger and that much heavier (and a lot more pricey) the Hardy will have something of an edge in a seaway.

Tom

Tom,

thanks for the quick reply. I`m looking forward to the other reactions given by the guys.

I want to use the boat for both offshore wrecking as (very) shallow bassing. That is also the reason why a shaft driven boat is not any option for me. I know the Hardy24 very well (my brother owns one fitted with a 200 straight six volvo and runs a stunning 34knots) but, a used Hardy of about 12-15years old is about the same price as a very good looking Aquafish23 which can do the same speed.

By the way, how is the Aquafish 23 at anchor? Is it a good stable boat?

Frans

Hi

I have never fished from an Aquafish, but have spent many pleasant days with Humphrey on his Hardy 24

His has a Volvo 150, but still performs well and is an excellent fishing platform wether at anchor or on the drift.

She is well capable of fishing mid channel and easily fishes 4 with two rods apiece.

I ought to say his boat is the slightly older version with the shorter wheelhouse. a newer one with the longer wheelhouse would cut down deck space a lot.

Charlie

Having owned two Hardy's over the years I would say that for the long time investor, the Hardy is the better bet, basically the build quality is very high and they are incredibly tough and well designed.

My friend has an Aquafish 23 fitted with a 150 hp diesel and it's a lovely boat and well built, but the question you have to ask yourself is in 20 years which boat will hold its value the better on the initial outlay.

I think, and of course this is just a subjective opinion, the Hardy probably will.

All you have to do is look at what a 10 year old Hardy still commands in price.

Fantastic boats.

(I would have had a fishing 24 as opposed to a Seaworker when I upgraded, but I couldn't afford it).

Either way however, you wont go far wrong on either.

Thanks guys for your reactions so far.

For sure the boats are superb but my personal reason is the choice of going for an older boat or a brand new aquafish and also fitted with a Volvo engine.

The reliability of a new boat/ engine should be better than a ten years older boat ( going out at distances this is the most important thing I think). Thats why I really like to hear the meaning of some aquafish owners or people who have fished them.

I saw the films at you-tube as well from "aquafresh" which seem to have a slightly larger wheelhouse compared to the new models? The boat runs like an arrow!!

Cheers,

Frans

Hello!

I'm one of the co-owners of the Aquafish Tom refers to - Bob and I are launching here for the 1st time on Sunday morning.

We actually have 3 AF's in the club - Aquafresh, Sheila Marie (same age as Aquafesh) and our new one (name tbc on Sunday!) Ive fished from a few now.... we chose one as we couldnt find anything to fit our requirements - which were a fast fisher with a decent size deck, capable of fishing shallow water and capable of reaching the channel islands (60 miles from Poole)

My thoughts on a few of your points:

They do run straight - the deep Vee hull helps this - as a downside they will roll a little at anchor, but they heavy revearse chines do help to remidy this.

Aquafresh is one of the rarer long wheelhouse versions - only a handful made as far as I know. You loose a little deck space though...

In a nutshell - upsides are a fast, stable fisher thats cuts the waves / swell well due to the deep vee. Loads of deck space, very solidly built. Decent turn of speed - we have a 190hp Volvo D3 on SX prop and hope to get 38 knots flat out.

Downsides - wheelhouse is a little tight compared to others. The head height also suffers. Ride isnt as predictable and stable as a shaft - but thats always the trade off with a leg. Finish from the factory is pretty average - hence why many (and all 3 club boats have been finished privately)

A few built shots here: http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/photoalbum/thumbnails.php?album=123

Keep your eye out for a better review next week once we have her on the water!

Hi Adam,

for sure I will watch your maidentrip with your new boat. Looks absolutely stunning!

I think that my idea is about the same as yours. Fast, reliable and good for long distances.

About the ride at low speed I can tell that my brothers Hardy does the same, not easy to maintain a straight course and at cruising speed they aren`t stable on a straight course as well, especially when the waves are coming from behind.

I wish the both of you goodluck with the first splash!

Talk to you later!!

Greetings,

Frans