Fuel Filters - Racor 500

Bob F

Our Volvo D3 190hp is going to need a water separator in the fuel supply.

Racor seem to be the make with the best reputation. I've been looking through the ASAP catalog.

A few questions:

- is the Racor 500 Turbine family the right one for this engine (I will of course check with Volvo)?

- see through bowl or metal bowl? I've seen a note which says see through bowls are not suitable for inboard engines...why?

- I'm thinking model number 301503 with the metal bowl.

- what does UL-Listed mean?

cheers

BF

hi Bob

The one purchased with my engine from Volvo is no doubt a re-badged Racor. ph34r.gif

It came with a metal bowl, but I have purchased and fitted a transparent one. I purchased that from Hyphose and took the whole thing in for them to identify it.and the part is a racor

According to my surveyor transparent is fine for liesure use, if used commercially and coded it would have to be changed back to a metal one.

If you want to try another source, Wessex Filters [Howard] should be able to help out. [i have his number at work if you want it]

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi Bob

Bob my Quicksilver came with the clear type and thank goodness.

A mate of mine runs small diggers and he buys red by the barrel he dropped me one off cheap cheap.

On her first outing i thought i would float her in the Bristol docks ran her down the slip turned the key she fired up for about 45 seconds and then died.

if it wasn

Hi again

Logged on my pc this time wink.gif

I had a simular problem to Craig on GW, but the clear bowl made it easy to spot that the system had water in it sad.gif , so it was easily drained and engine restarted. biggrin.gif

That is why I changed the bowl on the new boat, to what I believe is now a transparent plastic [not glass anymore]

actually the bowl was a freebie from someone who had to change it because of coding

but i had to buy the fitting kit and seals.

Charlie

Not sure if all clear bowls are the same, but mine has a drain point on the bottom, and a couple of times a season I'll drain out any water that I can see, without the need for bleeding the system.

Not all fuel supplies are the same. Some contain water, others (bottom of tank) can be very cloudy. I remember having to do two filter changes once after filling up (Jersey I seem to recall) as the engine was very hesitant due to fuel not getting through properly.

Definitely worth carrying spare filters!

Mike

Our Volvo D3 190hp is going to need a water separator in the fuel supply.

cheers

BF

Hi Bob

Not sure if you have seen this advert but if his has a 160hp engine and your getting a 190 I sould think it will hadly touch the water at WOT

See here http://www.findafishingboat.com/detail.php?aid=10112

As a thought he might be worth contacting for any useful hints and tips!

Coddy

cool.gif

Edited by Coddy

For what it's worth I have a fuel prefilter/separator for my AD31P of unknown make and type - but I do know that the drain on the bottom is plastic and I'm so scared that it'll snap off in my hand I've never opened it. My well-respected mechanic said he's of the same opinion when I asked him, he says the best thing to do is carry a spare and change the whole filter if I have trouble, which I haven't done yet (touch wood).

I think the metal bowl thing is a reliability thing - they're less likely to get broken and leak fuel everywhere than a glass one.