Biodiesel

Bob F

For those considering their own homebrews or a raid to the local chippy, here's some points to bare in mind. This was taken from the Volvo Penta web site.

Volvo Penta makes the following recommendations to customers who wish to use fuel with higher biodiesel content than stated in the EU standard EN 590:

The biodiesel must be of good quality, which means that it must comply with the EU

Thanks for the info Bob

I have been considering what to do come November. Will have to do some more research before finally deciding wether to invest in bio fuel.

Also I think chippy/cooking oil might be in short supply come november so some other source of oil may need to be found

Martin

Anyone see the recent repeat of the Top Gear episode where they went racing a bmw 3 litre diesel with their own biodiesel. ohmy.gif

It certainly ate through a host of gaskets and plastic parts Requiring a major rebuild of the engine during the race weekend. wink.gif

There was fuel leaking everywhere! sad.gif

Be very wary unsure.gifunsure.gif

Its one thing re-building an engine in a workshop with all the skills, tools and money to throw at it and another with a broken down engine xmiles out to sea with an engine bay full of fuel and no means of even attempting a repair. weep.gifweep.gif

Peteg

Anyone who's wife has asked them to clean the electric chip pan,[yuk-ughhh] would have to give a lot of consideration before introducing anything resembling "chip-oil" into an engine.

P.s anyone know anything that will dissolve the damn stuff.? our acid-like oven cleaner,won't touch it...jack

I'm not convinced biodiesel is the way forwards, and ethically it is arguably much worse than taking immature bass, a topic much closer to angler's hearts.

- It's inefficient to produce. Only about 1% of solar energy can be turned into biofuel using current technology.

- This low efficiency means that if 100% of the agricultural land in the whole of Europe was dedicated to biofuel, it would meet less than 10% of the current demand for fuel in Europe alone;

- Conversion of agricultural land to biofuel production is already eliminating grain and food surpluses throughout the world;

- Food and animal fodder prices are rocketing across the world as a result;

- Starvation in third-world countries is escalating, and as a direct result of biofuel production eliminating surpluses, thousands of people are dying.

This ethical debate is complex, is not fully appreciated by all politicians and environmentalists, and you will hear more in the press over the coming years.

Personally, I'm waiting until the technology improves, and other biofuels such as ethanol and methanol come on stream, from sustainable waste energy sources.

Mike

Anyone who's wife has asked them to clean the electric chip pan,[yuk-ughhh] would have to give a lot of consideration before introducing anything resembling "chip-oil" into an engine.

P.s anyone know anything that will dissolve the damn stuff.? our acid-like oven cleaner,won't touch it...jack

Just done the same thing.

Cilit Bang wouldn't touch it, but Fairy Power Spray did the trick. rolleyes.gif

Charlie "Domestic God" Annear

I'm not convinced biodiesel is the way forwards, and ethically it is arguably much worse than taking immature bass, a topic much closer to angler's hearts.

-This ethical debate is complex, is not fully appreciated by all politicians and environmentalists, and you will hear more in the press over the coming years.

Mike

I am sorry Mike but you have touched a nerve with me regarding environmental issues.

I am not prepared to assist much until our politicians start to use public transport instead of gas guzzling cars to drive around in, fly 1st class or hire private planes/helicopters.

Stop the waste of paper they generate in all the garbage they turn out in the Houses of Parliament/Commons.

I think it is called "Do as I say and not what I do!" sick.gif

Off soap box now

Coddy

mad.gif