electric start

Member Removed

hi all

i have a 40 hp mariner on the back of my beast. i am looking at the possibility of fitting an electric start to it can this be done ??????

i have 5 wires coming out of the engine in two positions one bundle of 3 and the other 2. im guessing the bundle of 2 are for the battery from the alternator?? and the other 3 are for an electric start ??? is this right or am i barking up the wrong tree.

if i am right i would like to run my bilge pump, nav lights, internal light and vhf off a standard car battery can i do this or is it a no no with car battery and get told off by mike fox for not being safe. laugh.giflaugh.gif

cheers guys

James,

Just a little word of caution. I had a Mercury 5HP outboard with a charging circuit on my first boat, that I linked to my battery to trickle charge it. I must have done something wrong, because the cables over-heated, melted, and caused an electrical fire on board, while I was at sea.

Take great care, and advice from someone who can advise from a position of authority about your model of engine, and electrics!

Oh, and test it at length while strapped to a pontoon or similar. biggrin.gif

Mike

If the engine has not been made with electric start it will not have the starter motor or the other associated wireing, controls, key switch etc

It may well have wiring to run a charging circuit, but in my opinion changing an old engine to electric start may be more costly. than upgrading.

Check with a Mariner agent, Select marine is one of our sponsors and Tony is always willing to discuss things with Members

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi james

In response of your question on the use of a car battery, no problem, however if you need to buy a battery I would suggest you get a leisure battery for the electronics, lights etc as these batteries can cope with long slow discharge but do not like rapid discharge such as engine starting.

So use a good car type battery for engine starting and a leisure type battery for other uses. I would also ensure you have everything fused or a circuit breaker on each power lead. This will help to prevent overheating of the wiring system.

There are a number of club members who have electrical experiance in the marine field.

Just keep asking. wink.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Maybe controversial but I am not convinced of the need for a Leisure battery on the small boats we use. ( Boats with fridges / TVs etc. excluded )

Leisure Batteries are fine for the slow discharge needed for items such as TV's, Fridges ? etc. and technically , yes they are strictly better.

However, most of our boats have a radio and a miniscule ( as regards to current drain ) anchor light + nav lights. A car battery will drive these no problem - yes the battery will not be as efficient and a leisure battery will last longer and will accept being discharged deeper at lower currents, but they cost so much more.

I use 2 car batteries and in 3 years had one battery which refused to hold charge, so replaced it with another one. No problems apart from this and that includes sitting at anchor half the night with one battery driving a cabin light + radio.

I only have a single batteryon the boat (starting type obviously) and then run my bait pump from a portable jumpstarter, therefore it can be easily removed to save weight when not carrying the live well. Had just the one starting battery on my old boat and never had had a problem with them.

Has anyone tried starting their engine with the pull cord? I did on my last boat and all I managed to do was attract the attention of a yachty who offered me the use of their tool kit! So there not all bad!!!! laugh.gif Couldn't get it started though - 40hp 2-stroke 2003 Johnson.

Rob

Edited by rob francis