Cigar floats

plaicemat

Regrettably, Mark, the part of Dorset I'm in is about 14 miles from Oxford! This is why I'm trying to organise something this week as, if I can organise some accommodation, I'm hoping to make the meeting on Thursday to see the GPS demo. I will then be able to do some local shopping as well and stock up on items I can only normally get on the internet. Heavy ones like lead moulds are usually quite expensive in the post department so it can be worth collecting sometimes. So, thanks for that info.

Terry.

Regrettably, Mark, the part of Dorset I'm in is about 14 miles from Oxford! This is why I'm trying to organise something this week as, if I can organise some accommodation, I'm hoping to make the meeting on Thursday to see the GPS demo. I will then be able to do some local shopping as well and stock up on items I can only normally get on the internet. Heavy ones like lead moulds are usually quite expensive in the post department so it can be worth collecting sometimes. So, thanks for that info.

Terry.

Terry, I live about 2 K from 'The Range' and have been meaning to have a look. I didn't even know they did fishing tackle. As soon as I am walking wounded I will go and have a look as I am going stir crazy at home.

Mad Mike

Thanks, Mike, glad to hear you're getting up and about. As I said earlier, there are plenty of 20cm ones but I want the larger 25cm ones that a mackerel won't pull under. Give me a shout if you find out anything.

Terry.

Nice try, Pete, but no cigar. Unfortunately, they are the slim ones, some of which I bought online last year and realised my mistake the firast time I tried them. But thanks for the thought and effort anyway.

I shall be down for the meeting on Thursday due to a generous offer of a bed for the night smile.gif so will be able to check out some tackle shops then. Info still appreciated.

Terry.

Terry

On one of the TV fishing shows they use a tennis ball they just push a strong baiting needle through and pull the line through have not tried it yet but will soon

and they are cheap

mark w

Nice cheap idea Mark. The reason I like these large cigar floats is that they will support a lively mackerel but don't offer too much resistance to a taking fish. The one I have, I picked up on the Needles after someone obviously lost it. It is now getting a bit battered so time for replacements, although obviously this one will remain my 'lucky' float. I do have some large catfish floats but they are quite bulky.

I have just found some on ebay and ordered 3; smile.gif search over until I lose some more!

Terry.

Edited by plaicemat

Hi Terry

Not Cigar floats, but fun using them & making them, I use 90mm modelling eggs from Ebay. They carry 3oz easily (more at a push) and are perfect for live mackerel etc when bassing.

I buy the eggs, drill a hole down the centre and then araldite in a modellers lolly style stick. Perfect and very robust.

Thanks for all that input, chaps, I have now sourced my big cigar floats. Tom, that sounds a good idea for a winter's evening entertainment, I'll have a look into it. Gary, I have some of those (as mentioned earlier) which I obtained from the tackle shop by the bridge in Ringwood. Although they support a lively mackerel easily, I do find them more unwieldy and put up a lot of resistance, even when reeling in. I'm sure it doesn't put the fish off but I just have more faith in the cigar shaped ones and that aids confidence. Probably misplaced I'm sure someone will tell me but there's none so strange as folk.

Terry.