Channel Cod Ban

petesnr

There will be a cod ban in force from 00.01 on 15th February for the channel sector V11d which basically covers our area from the east to just west of Swanage. This ban is due to the under 10m fleet campaigning against a 100kg per month quota of cod. The minister listened and allowed 1 ton per vessel per month and they have caught their annual quota in 6 weeks. As usual commonsense has gone out of the window and us recreational anglers will suffer doubly since the ban also applies to us and the inshore fllet will target other species such as ray and bass for the rest of the year. The squeeze on the under 10m fleet will eventually lead to a reduction in stocks of many recreational species. The only hope is that the fleet will be reduced in size in the long term.

Peter

I have just called a Member who has the contacts to check these things ph34r.gif

I have been told that this area extends from Dover to the 002 00 00 latitude line

and goes all the way accross the channel

Our friend is going to chech if the ban covers landing of fish within that area or catching them.

I am sure that would be a grey area considering how easy it is to fish outside the area when running out of Poole.

If I get more info I will pass it on sad.gif

Charlie

POST NOTE

I have just had the reply call, after they checked with the MCA

The Ban is currently for commercial vessels under 10 metres and NOT for private RSA boats biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

It is so typical that the recreational sector is left completely in the dark as to their position when it comes to quotas. In the past we have been included in cod bans and I assumed that this was the case now. Personally I shall be targeting spotted pollack from now on--mind you it's 2 years since I had the last one!

Pete

Peter

I think the powers that be did extensive research (taking your, mine and Jack's catch reports and giving them to a 30 person analysis team) and concluded that if we were truly representative of the RSA as a whole there would be little impact on the poor old cod!

I have had 9 on board since launch in April 2001 with 2 of those coming from mid channel. On the bright side 2 of them netted